What's new

Building boxes?

Here's a box I made last night for a Welsh slate and rubbing stone. Nothing fancy, just functional. Coroplast and black masking tape. Loose piece of Coroplast as a spacer between the two stones.

$Inigo-Jones-Box-1-of-2.jpg

$Inigo-Jones-Box-2-of-2.jpg

Last edited:
FYI. This was not as easy as it looked and I will NOT be posting pictures of my first box.

Woah, you thought this looked easy?

I was contemplated kidnapping one of those kids who does wood carvings for tourists in Mexico and chaining them up in my basement to make boxes for my collection. You know, the easier alternative.

Woah, you thought this looked easy?

I was contemplated kidnapping one of those kids who does wood carvings for tourists in Mexico and chaining them up in my basement to make boxes for my collection. You know, the easier alternative.

I should know better. I really should.

Everything looks easier when someone else is doing it.

Just bought the trim router and bits some extra 3/4, 1/2 inch and 1/8, NOW you tell me. lol. Wood has an allure and a timeless look, but those seem easy to make and glue up. And no sealing!

I figured they'd be good for synths, barber hones, and DMTs

Thanks for the link. I'd probably have better control with CA than the specialty hot glue. Not sure how strong those butt joints would be with it though.

Here's one I made for my Tam O' Shanter (two 1" x 5" pieces glued together with Gorilla glue then lapped). The label is not in contact with the tape. I made a non-sticking enveloped area for it with three layers of packing tape. In the past, I've made box-cameras with foam-core and the pH neutral black masking tape. Some of these are fourteen-fifteen years old and the tape is still holding.

Ok guys how bout epoxy resin with a hardener, like that liquid steel. (I may be using the wrong term now) Mix it up, put in a mold, stick the stone in (maybe a shot of silicone spray so it dont stick) and remove, let dry. Instant custom box exactly to the stone?

Ok guys how bout epoxy resin with a hardener, like that liquid steel. (I may be using the wrong term now) Mix it up, put in a mold, stick the stone in (maybe a shot of silicone spray so it dont stick) and remove, let dry. Instant custom box exactly to the stone?
Hey I know ... how about this space age nano fabric abrasive held with a surgical grade protractor base to set a bevel? No? I should just do it the way I'm supposed to? Okay. :laugh:

I actually had that same thought. I dont think it would look as good in reality
as we think it would though with air bubbles and gaps in the material used.

I actually had that same thought. I dont think it would look as good in reality
as we think it would though with air bubbles and gaps in the material used.
Okay seriously .. how about one of those "craft" boxes, wrap the stone in paper (as a spacer) then saran wrap, and pour in some of that clear casting epoxy?

Top Bottom