What's new

My 13 yo daughter wants a pocket knife

+1 on opinel, no one will cry when it gets lost or broken, yet it's a very useful knife that looks classier than most super manly pocket knives.

A few people, including myself, have suggested the Swiss army knife. One thing about this knife, though, is that it can be a bit hard to open. You have to push up on the blades with your fingernails. Not so bad really, but maybe a girl, if she cares about her nails, might appreciate one of those knives whose blade can be opened by grabbing it between thumb and forefinger.

Legion

Staff member
A few people, including myself, have suggested the Swiss army knife. One thing about this knife, though, is that it can be a bit hard to open. You have to push up on the blades with your fingernails. Not so bad really, but maybe a girl, if she cares about her nails, might appreciate one of those knives whose blade can be opened by grabbing it between thumb and forefinger.

They come with a nail file. :laugh:

Spyderco Ladybug
Small but practical
It is beautiful and once she starts driving it will fit her keychain.

Not a good idea while she is still in school. Most schools in our area now have a zero tolerance prohibition on students carrying knives of any kind. My son, now an attorney, finished high school in 1995 and could not have a knife at that time.

Being an old guy, I started carrying one when I was in the third grade, and have not been without one since, except for a short time when I was in USAF basic training. At least a few months later in OCS they were allowed.

Get her one and explain problems of carrying in her purse or on keyring. Make her understand it needs too stay at home. It's a different world out there from when I grew up.

Spyderco best knife company out there. IMHO
they make one called the Ladybug I think smaller perfect for opening packages and cutting rope, razor sharp

Being an old guy, I started carrying one when I was in the third grade, and have not been without one since, except for a short time when I was in USAF basic training. At least a few months later in OCS they were allowed.

Get her one and explain problems of carrying in her purse or on keyring. Make her understand it needs too stay at home. It's a different world out there from when I grew up.

It only is a different world because we are letting that happen.

I refuse to give in to the "modern kids are dangerous, and more so with a knife" sentiment. Both of my daughters had a knife since they were kids, know how to use it (as a tool, the way it is intended), and still carry it every day, as far as I know. One notable exception; no knife in places where alcohol is served!

It only is a different world because we are letting that happen.

I refuse to give in to the "modern kids are dangerous, and more so with a knife" sentiment. Both of my daughters had a knife since they were kids, know how to use it (as a tool, the way it is intended), and still carry it every day, as far as I know. One notable exception; no knife in places where alcohol is served!

I agree, but around here knives are prohibited in schools, and kids have been expelled for being found of possession of a knife on school property. Back when I was in school, sometimes a student would bring a new gun to show it off. During hunting season a lot of student cars had guns, and sometimes a few were stored in the principle's office so the could be picked up for hunting after school. In those days we knew about responsibility, safe use and respect for others.

Last edited:
Instead of buying what you think she would like. Make this a father/daughter outing. Take her to a blade store and let her pick one, perhaps even get a matching one for self. I did this with my daughters, and each remembers that day as a fond memory.

It would be good to know what she likes, even if in general.

I agree with the suggestion of a small Case, and CV steel if she'll take care of it. I particularly like the Peanut. But a small swiss army knife or any small traditional pattern of a quality brand would be good.

Advantages of a well made small traditional slip joint:

1. Smallness. No need to carry more knife than you need, and more often than not she won't need anything bigger than a Peanut. Plus she can carry it in jeans pocket or purse easily.

2. Common pocket knife. A man (or woman) shouldn't need a reason to carry a knife, but there is usually no need to explain a small common pocket knife.

3. Durability. A well made knife will last a lifetime. Pocket knives range from very inexpensive to very high prices for the same pattern, but inexpensive knives from a quality manufacturer are just as durable. I posted a picture of Case Trapper in another thread that I bought when I was a young boy that I still have and carried for years. I probably paid less than $10 in late '60s or early '70s dollars.

Last edited:
Another +1 for the Swiss Army.
I think everybody ought to have at least one. I bought one for my oldest daughter when she turned 12.
I like the Opinel too, I have one and like to carry it occasionally. The Swiss Army knives are so useful so often though.
Some great suggestions here! Love the small Case pocket knives and I had no idea RAT made pocket knives. I've only checked out the fixed blades.

proxy.php
How about this from The Cutlery Corner. It is pink, simple and safe. The price is also right. The Swiss Army knife is too ugly and too complicated. Just go to their web site. You can order it on line.
cottontop

Top Bottom