What's new

Honing 101

enlighten me. how does 1 stone honing works? i.e. coti et. al.

i hone my razors on several naniwa stones from 1k 3k 8k 12k (i generally skip the lower grits on some razors, depending on how dull they are) refine on crox then leather strop.

how does 1 stone honing works if it has just got 1 grit rating? what is the equivalent grit rating of a coti in naniwa stones?

i enjoy the entire process of straight razor shaving, including honing but, the maintenance of several stones, lapping, checking for flatness using light & metal rulers are hassles to me. also i am a minimalist i'd like to own only 1 stone.

I'll pass on grit rating natural stones but the general idea I get from one stone honing is often more a case of two stone honing. A bevel setter around the 1K mark followed by a natural stone; Belgian, Japanese or somesuch. Using slurry, or even pressure, one can refine the edge to shave ready.

Youtube might be worth a look:

Bart's coticule dilucot:
http://youtu.be/zkxyaJLI58k

Emmanuel's ellipticot:
http://youtu.be/gddcDEz84S0

Alex's Ax method, using my newly acquired jnat:
http://youtu.be/33DQMeX5Efg

how does 1 stone honing works if it has just got 1 grit rating? what is the equivalent grit rating of a coti in naniwa stones?

It works depending on the physics of each stone. Fex. Using a coticule for lower grit honing or better said to remove a lot of material a thick slurry and more pressure should be used...the less pressure and more thinner slurry up to using only water will get you into a finer area....so the Coticule itself is a very flexible stone....

It has something to do with the amount of garnets which is loosened in the slurry and the garnets which still sit in the stones surface matrix...

Quoted fron Henk Bos Grinding and Honing Part 4:

"In Coticule is it even nicer. During the grinding a slurry is created in which are thousands of tiny crystals of garnet (spessartine). These have the shape of a dodecahedron (12 angular). With this garnet crystals you can hone in 2 ways.

* With slurry a process called "lapping" arises in which the crystals roll between the carrier and the workpiece.
Every time a corner passes the workpiece a tiny part from the workpiece (blade) will be removed. The result is a mat surface that looks like it is sand-blasted.
* With the use of water only and very little pressure an abrasive effect is created that produces a mirrorlike smooth surface.
The fineness can go up to 16,000! The result depends on the proficiency of the grinder.

Determination of particle size
Determination of the grain size in Coticule is not possible. We can look at the surface though, to see what we can achieve with a particular operation.
We can compare the resulting surface with a standard. This allows us to get an idea what the ground surface is similar to.

The following results have been obtained with the same stone by varying the thickness of the slurry and the applied pressure. The range is from 800 grit to 16,000 grit!
For best results, the Coticule whetstones have to be completely flat. Otherwise, it will take too long to reach grit 16,000. The BBW and Coticule should have sloping sides."

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
I admit not keeping up with the thread, but the razor can certainly be honed unless it missed the heat treat or something equally catastrophic. I have one just like it in the Basic Black series, and it was obviously honed at the factory with the spine off the hone/wheel. It took me 2-3 days going easy with a Chosera 600 and Shapton Pro 2k to get the hone to hit the apex of the edge. At that point, the bevel was also pretty wavy though in the end, it shaves like a Filly or a fine Japanese. It would likely be a good candidate to hone with a single layer of tape.

Take Noahpictures up on his offer, or I'll give it a whirl too if you want having done one from the same blank.

Cheers, Steve

I admit not keeping up with the thread, but the razor can certainly be honed unless it missed the heat treat or something equally catastrophic. I have one just like it in the Basic Black series, and it was obviously honed at the factory with the spine off the hone/wheel. It took me 2-3 days going easy with a Chosera 600 and Shapton Pro 2k to get the hone to hit the apex of the edge. At that point, the bevel was also pretty wavy though in the end, it shaves like a Filly or a fine Japanese. It would likely be a good candidate to hone with a single layer of tape.

Take Noahpictures up on his offer, or I'll give it a whirl too if you want having done one from the same blank.

Cheers, Steve

This was a few months ago. The razor's spine and bevel were out of wack, lots of uneven wear. I worked on it for over an hour with taped spine. Honed it twice and a got decent HHT3 edge. I regret not spending more time on it to improve it further. That TI steel is very hard and takes lots of elbow grease to correct mistakes.

Take the stone in one hand - put a straight edge (ruler) in your other hand.

Hold the stone up to eye level with something well lit in the backround.
Take the ruler - put the edge on the stone lengthwise - look to see if the edge is making contact with the stone across it's length.
If you see light coming from under the ruler's edge anywhere - the stone probably isn't flat.

You can see here - I have a Les Lat on my honing block wrapped in paper towel, the Starrett straight edge on top and a flashlight behind it.
See the gap where the light is coming through? If this stone was flat - that splash of light would not be there.

View attachment 482409

That's how i do it as well.

i enjoy the entire process of straight razor shaving, including honing but, the maintenance of several stones, lapping, checking for flatness using light & metal rulers are hassles to me. also i am a minimalist i'd like to own only 1 stone.

While 1 stone is possible I find it easier to use a 1K to set the bevel and then either a JNAT or coti to do the rest.

Top Bottom