What's new

Blended Scotch Whisky

What's your favorite and why? I was drinking Chivas the other night and enjoyed it very much. Just looking to gets some tips on some great blends since I'm new to scotch myself.

I haven't had Chivas in a long time. The last couple of airline flights I ordered Scotch and soda which was Dewar's. It was ok - nothing special.

Johnnie Walker Green if you can find it. At the $70-80 a bottle I regularly see it at, there are better options, but I can still get it for $56 at one secret spot, and I think it is worth it. Monkey Shoulder is a recent find for me that is very good. Other blends in my cabinet: Compass Box Great King St Artist's Blend, Teacher's Highland Cream, White Horse and Hankey Bannister. Those last 3 are inexpensive options, but far superior to the more common Johnnie Walker red and the like.

I like playing with blends a little. They can be an enjoyable bargain that are fun to explore. Check Ralfy's youtube channel. He reviews blends pretty regularly and rates them independently from single malts so it is an apples to apples comparison. I have only found h to be off the mark from my own tastes on rare occasions.

I think it is important to make a distinction between blended scotch (grain) whiskies and blended malt scotch whiskies also. Both are good, but they are different.

Last edited:
Seems like there is much better options in the U.S. Names such as White Horse and Hankey Bannister have never been sold in my neck of the woods. Teachers is my preferred choice as it uses peated Ardmore as it's main malt. I occasionally Whyte & Mackay also. I previously drank Black & White before the stopped shipping to Canada.

I have never tried Pinch, is it worth buying a bottle?

I'm not a scotch expert -- I know what I like and what I like tends to be lighter types like The Balvenie -- not smoke and peat bombs.
Pinch IS smokey and peaty (to my taste). Other than that it's fairly smooth. So might be worth trying it if you like that style.

JW Double Black is great for those who, like me, enjoy peated whiskies.
Dewar's is another great blend, as well as Logan.

Chivas is Ok. It's inexpensive and it's a good blended Scotch to have around the house or for even people just getting into Scotch. For the money (about $25) I really like JW Black. It has a touch smokiness to it which I find nice. It's a staple of mine and I always have a bottle in the house.

As far as the best blended Scotch I really like Monkey Shoulder ($30-$35). Has a nice mellow vanilla taste with a hint of toffee or butterscotch. Plus it's easy on the wallet.

Last edited:
Johnnie Walker Green if you can find it. At the $70-80 a bottle I regularly see it at, there are better options, but I can still get it for $56 at one secret spot, and I think it is worth it.

Where are you managing to locate Green Label? I can't seem to find it anywhere in the greater Chicagoland area and from my understanding it was discontinued at some point last year. Would love to have one more bottle in my cabinet!

GW Green was my go-to blend, but with it discontinued I've been doing just fine with Famous Grouse. I am an Islay guy (Laphroaig Quarter Cask is my current Scotch of choice) and JW Double Black is intriguing.

Where are you managing to locate Green Label? I can't seem to find it anywhere in the greater Chicagoland area and from my understanding it was discontinued at some point last year. Would love to have one more bottle in my cabinet!

GW Green was my go-to blend, but with it discontinued I've been doing just fine with Famous Grouse. I am an Islay guy (Laphroaig Quarter Cask is my current Scotch of choice) and JW Double Black is intriguing.

It isn't in every store, but it is still on shelves around Delaware. I have seen in priced anywhere from $56-80 and everywhere in between.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
proxy.php

Pronounced "Che" (like the Cuban commie) "Vek" (rhymes with "cheque")

Top Bottom