What's new

Blended Scotch Whisky

I've heard J&B described as having gin or tequila like flavor. Do you taste that too?
I hadn't noticed that. Now that I think about it, I might pick up some notes similar to a good Anejo tequila. I'll have to perform some lab testing. :lol:

Oh boy, after reading those, I feel so... common and unsophisticated. Somehow, I can live with that. :001_smile Whenever I read reviews like those, whether for whiskey, wine, cigars or whatever, I am reminded of the old story about the Emperor's New Clothes. Or maybe those guys can actually detect all of those notes, and I'm just tastebud-challenged...

Monkey Shoulder is nice enough and enjoyable, as is Black Bottle because I like peat and smoke single malts from Islay, but I think my favorite blended scotch is Pinch.

Buchanan's 18 yo.

Also enjoy:
JW Black (double black on occasion)
Pinch
Dewars white isn't bad
Compass box great king street.
And I do like monkey shoulder as well. A local has it when the crew from work goes out for thirsty Thursdays.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Oh boy, after reading those, I feel so... common and unsophisticated. Somehow, I can live with that. :001_smile Whenever I read reviews like those, whether for whiskey, wine, cigars or whatever, I am reminded of the old story about the Emperor's New Clothes. Or maybe those guys can actually detect all of those notes, and I'm just tastebud-challenged...

My favourite online scotch reviewer, Ralfy, is one for going into long lists of all the scents he smells and tastes in his scotch. But to his credit, he gives us a peek behind the curtain, and explains how he does it ...

... he actually spends a lot of time tracking down actual "things" (be it food or whatever) to smell (and if safe, taste) to be able to spot scents in scotch. It's a long process that involves a lot of sniffing-research and practice. He'd smell a scotch and notice a scent note and think "I don't know what that is", and then go out and sniff "stuff" to find out.

I live in New Zealand now but I'm Scottish born and bred. I'd stay with my grandparents in a little fishing village by the side of the Firth of Forth and I have fond memories of my Granddad coming home from work on a Friday, taking the top off a half bottle of Bells whiskey, putting it to one side and saying "won't be needing that". I also remember him telling me that if I ever mixed a whiskey with anything other than a drop of water he'd rip my arms off......I believe to this day he was serious. So a Bells with a drop of ice water is what I have if I'm feeling nostalgic. My favourite blend has to be Jamiesons but I guess that doesn't count being an Irish whiskey. My least favourite has to be Teachers. That peaty flavour reminds me too much of Laphroaig which is just plain nasty.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I also remember him telling me that if I ever mixed a whiskey with anything other than a drop of water he'd rip my arms off......I believe to this day he was serious.

Your granddad sounds like a right old codger of the best sort.

Mind you, I have been known to enjoy the occasional Rusty Nail and scotch-n-soda from time to time, but I don't mix them with the "good stuff" like Laphroaig.

I also remember him telling me that if I ever mixed a whiskey with anything other than a drop of water he'd rip my arms off......I believe to this day he was serious.

My Grandad taught me to drink scotch: neat for preference, but he'd allow ice on a warm day or a little water for "medicinal purposes". I used to take him a bottle of Glenlivet every now and again after my Gran died, which was way out of his budget and we'd sit out the front and talk. He was a retired Lieutenant Colonel and it says a lot about him that I never did find out more than vaguely what he did in the war. Good memories.

That peaty flavour reminds me too much of Laphroaig which is just plain nasty.

Burn the heretic! On a peat fire... :lol:

Peat smoke is a love or hate thing. I've nursed The GF onto peated whisky but I still wouldn't try Laphroaig on her. A mate's missus hates it: when we opened a bottle of Ardbeg she said it smelt like a camp fire made from old tyres. From the other side of the room.

Burn the heretic! On a peat fire... :lol:

Peat smoke is a love or hate thing. I've nursed The GF onto peated whisky but I still wouldn't try Laphroaig on her. A mate's missus hates it: when we opened a bottle of Ardbeg she said it smelt like a camp fire made from old tyres. From the other side of the room.[/QUOTE]

I do like the Laphroaig adverts though. They asked people to describe the taste and one person said it tasted like a burning hospital. The best one was where someone said it was like getting kicked in the head by a horse that's been galloping through a peaty bog. I think whoever said that pretty much nailed it.

I know it is not a blend, but the Lagavulin 16 distillers edition is one of the smoothest whiskys ever. As for blendes theres allways Islay mist 12yrs the 8 year old is too raw in my opinion.

StAndre

I feel like for the price, JW Blue is overrated. I find the double black and platinum to be just as satisfying at much lower cost. The Naked Grouse Is a nice "entry level" blend without tasting too "cheap".

Whisky, like many things in life, have a wide spectrum of flavor profiles and price points. More expensive, or older, isn't necessarily better or better tasting. If you're starting to get into drinking whisky you HAVE to consider price until you figure out what your palate likes (unless you have money to blow). I'd recommend dividing your tasting into price ranges. Under $50, $50-$79, $80-$119, $120-$159, and $160+, after $160, you should have a pretty good idea of what you like and really, if you're ready to spend $161 dollars on a bottle of booze, why not spend $200.

Start sampling things from the lower end of the price scale and gradually work you way into the more expensive stuff. There's nothing worse than bringing home a $190 bottle of scotch and hating the taste. As you go along this "sampling journey" you'll be able to discover what you like and what you don't like and be able to make better decisions about what you're going to buy when you feel like splurging on an expensive bottle. I think you'll also find that you'll fall in love with a whisky that's not overly expensive and it will become your "go-to" beverage.

I'd also recommend picking up a copy of Jim Murray's Whisky Bible.

Last edited:
I picked up a bottle of Monkey Shoulder after the mention of it above. Very nice and a good price point too! IMHO Very smooth and flavorful, without being overpoweringly smoky and with very little peat.

Against the few other scotches I have on hand (all single malts), I like it more than Nikka Taketsuru 12 year, and it makes a good showing against Balvenie Doublewood and Caribbean Cask, although the Balvenie's depth and smoothness wins out -- as it should since each cost several times what MS does. (it should be noted that the 3 scotches that make up Monkey Shoulder -- The Balvenie, Glenfiddich and Kininvieare -- are all from the Balvenie family. Since I really like Balvenie, it follows that I would like Monkey Shoulder.)

Jim, what are some of your other favorite blends? My Monkey Shoulder will probably be finished tonight, so I'll be looking for another to try.

LOL! I'm not really a scotch expert at all. I've only tried a few. I own the two bottles of Balvenie mentioned above, Nikka Taketsuru, Pinch and the Monkey Shoulder. I'm not big on smokey, peaty scotches, so not a fan of Pinch.
The Pinch was a gift, so Monkey Shoulder is really the only blend I've bought.

If you want a recommendation for a single malt that's not too expensive, I tried Dalmore 12yo on the recommendation of a scotch-knowledgeable bartender. Was quite good. It's only about $10 more than the Monkey Shoulder. ($45 vs $35 near me)
The Balvenies are fantastic, but sadly, are much more expensive ($90+) -- so I keep them for special-occasion sipping.

Now if you want to talk Bourbon...

Last edited:
I went to refill my Monkey Shoulder today and they were out. I asked the cashier and she said that someone else switched to it and bought the last 3 bottles so he didn't run out. Looks like I have some competition in this town... I bought s bottle of Dewars 12.

Dewards 12 is okay. It's better with a couple drops of water. The nose is very strong alcohol. I'm assuming this is the grain? Monkey Shoulder still tops my list of favorites, probably because it's a blended malt.

Top Bottom