What's new

BakBlade

So I am not sure how familiar people here are with this product but I just bought it and used it for the first time. It is a back hair shaver.

Short back story. No pun intended. I am Italian and hairy. Dark, course hair. My whole life body hair grooming has been a thing. Some people are just hairy on there arms or legs or chest. I have it all, including my back. I have tried all the back shaving products available and after first use this one is the winner for a bunch of reasons. So here is a mini review.

Upon opening it is a plastic stick with a blade. Not really fancy but that's ok. The handle is a soft and slightly flexible plastic. The blade slides on and off easily. The blade itself is just 3 DE blades side by side in a patented holder. The DE blades are not user replaceable as the whole thing is glued shut. Also the DE blades had no markings in them so not sure what kind.

First use. They say you can use it dry or wet. I chose dry. The idea is just use it like a back scratcher and it will remove the hair. After seeing that it was DE blades I was a little hesitant about getting cut. The blade holder however is pretty thick so then I wondered about it even cutting close. I went to use it and felt some good resistance of the blade on my skin. I pulled and it made a scratching noise and removed the hair completely to the skin. I went slow at first. After a little I went to town. You just need to make sure you do your whole back which is no fault of the product. Just your own flexibility. Result was a smooth shave right to the skin. No nicks, weepers or blood. I was also worried about irritation and razor burn from the blade but so far it feels great.

Conclusion.

I bought the BakBlade which includes the handle and one blade. I also added a pack of 2 blades. The blade that came in the handle was defective. One of the DE blades wasn't seated properly and didn't line up right. The other 2 blades are fine although they are not precisely lined up but definitely good enough to use. I emailed them and will see what they say.

Overall somehow it cuts close without cutting you. It's easy to use. No batteries. No moving parts. No rust. No additional people necessary. The blade quality could be better in the sense of lining up the 3 blades better and I think it is a little expensive but that's a personal call neither will stop me from continuing to buy blades.

Here is a blade I took apart (it is not supposed to so this blade is ruined)

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1405802943.956832.jpg

Assembled

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1405802955.491741.jpg

Defective blade

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1405802973.911183.jpg

Nice write up. Thanks for sharing. I was wondering about this thing for awhile. Alpha M is always raving about it on his YouTube channel. I have a somewhat hairy back and shoulders, but probably not nearly as bad as you from the sound of things. I was in Bed, Bath, & Beyond like a year or so ago and struck gold by finding the Mangroomer Pro on clearance for $19.99. They had two, and I really regret not purchasing the other one as well. Looking back on it now that price was an absolute steal. I love it. No oiling, no real maintenance, and it works awesome. It does take awhile to recharge. That's really the only downside for me thus far. It works amazingly well otherwise.

They've released a newer version of the Mangroomer since that comes with a ton of bells and whistles. If the one I had broke tomorrow I wouldn't hesitate to purchase the newest version which is $60. It's that good. Cuts through back hair like a warm knife through butter. Here is Alpha's review of the baKblade as well as a link to the new Mangroomer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oofNzMAaWQ

http://www.mangroomer.com/products/...-neck-head-power-burst-and-2-attachment-heads

Last edited:
I just got mine in the mail today and used it too. I noticed the 3 blades inside too and wondered if they were DE blades. I wonder if I can replace the blades inside on my own and save some money on refills. I know its glued shut, do you think it's possible to tape/clamp it somehow? Do you think I can just use the blades from my safety razor? Or at least use the other side of the blades for double the life?

I was in Bed, Bath, & Beyond like a year or so ago and struck gold by finding the Mangroomer Pro on clearance for $19.99. They had two, and I really regret not purchasing the other one as well. Looking back on it now that price was an absolute steal. I love it. No oiling, no real maintenance, and it works awesome. It does take awhile to recharge. That's really the only downside for me thus far. It works amazingly well otherwise.

They've released a newer version of the Mangroomer since that comes with a ton of bells and whistles. If the one I had broke tomorrow I wouldn't hesitate to purchase the newest version which is $60. It's that good. Cuts through back hair like a warm knife through butter. Here is Alpha's review of the baKblade as well as a link to the new Mangroomer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oofNzMAaWQ

http://www.mangroomer.com/products/...-neck-head-power-burst-and-2-attachment-heads

I have the older version of the man groomer and it does work but this is even better. Much wider blade so it's faster and it is quieter and doesn't need batteries. I haven't tried the new version though.

I just got mine in the mail today and used it too. I noticed the 3 blades inside too and wondered if they were DE blades. I wonder if I can replace the blades inside on my own and save some money on refills. I know its glued shut, do you think it's possible to tape/clamp it somehow? Do you think I can just use the blades from my safety razor? Or at least use the other side of the blades for double the life?

I think you could successfully change out the blades one time. The plastic cover can be pried off, the blades swapped and reglued fairly easily. I don't think it is something you could do over and over again. And any DE blade should fit or you could jut use the other side of the ones in there.

Last edited:
Nice review. I've been thinking about trying something like this. Not super hairy, but I am 1/4 Italian so there is much more than I'd like lol.

Just an update I let them know about the messed up blade and they got back to me right away about shipping another out. Great customer service.

Just an update I let them know about the messed up blade and they got back to me right away about shipping another out. Great customer service.

That's what you wanna see from a reputable company. Glad they stood behind their product! So many these days don't. I'm talking to you Jack Black and California North!

Last edited:
Top Bottom