What's new

What would it take to get a NOS Fili shave ready?

haha, well I think I might pay a stupid price for it. This interest started in part to your thread, btw! And it's my birthday in 10 days lol.

Normal honing as in what? I have some lapping film on the way. Where would you personally start?

Thanks

Is it a newer fili (non JMP stamped)? If it is it might take some time to get the spine to lay flat, I think the factory bevel is set with the spine off the stone.

If it is not, honing is no different than any other razor, get a bevel set and move up from there.

I have some lapping film on the way. Where would you personally start?

If you are not experienced at honing, please do not learn on an NOS Fili that you are going to pay too much for.
Get a shave-ready Gold Dollar from Buca or one of the other gents here that offer them (that way the spine thickness and shoulder work is done, and you know it will take and hold an edge), breadknife it on glass, and practice on that. The base razor is like $5 and I don't know how much the guys charge for making it usable, but it's far, far better than buying a $75 Dovo/Boker to learn on.

it's one of the newer ones. So I would have to set a whole new bevel?
Usually I do
I think what doc is asking is ... Does it have Jose Monserrat pou stamped on the tang
Correct.

The ones I have come across have required quite some work to get a descent bevel
If you are not experienced at honing, please do not learn on an NOS Fili that you are going to pay too much for.
Get a shave-ready Gold Dollar from Buca or one of the other gents here that offer them (that way the spine thickness and shoulder work is done, and you know it will take and hold an edge), breadknife it on glass, and practice on that. The base razor is like $5 and I don't know how much the guys charge for making it usable, but it's far, far better than buying a $75 Dovo/Boker to learn on.
Absolutely

I already have a shave ready GD. I haven't even used it yet, because I've been waiting for my strop to arrive. It arrives today.

I also have lapping film 5um, 3um, 1um, and 0.3um on the way which should arrive next week.

I just want a straight forward answer on how I might get the Fili to shave ready with what I've already ordered, and a bit of practice on my GD will obviously be my first step. I've watched some videos, and it doesn't seem too complicated. I think I can manage not to screw it up with some practice.

So, basically what I'm saying is do these razors come at a certain level of sharpness with a preset bevel that I can touch up with the aforementioned films, or do I need to start from the ground up? Like 12um, 9um, and go from there? I didn't order those films because I only planned on buying razors with a preset bevel.

Last edited:
Does it have gold wash?

Hone it this way: on 12um small circles two laps, followed by x-stoked 20 laps. Check sharpness. Does it easily shave arm hair? Repeat if necessary. On 9um, 5um, 3um one set of the above while decreasing pressure as you move up the grits. On 1um use soapy water and no pressure only a few laps of x-strokes. Strop well and shave.

Does it have gold wash?

Hone it this way: on 12um small circles two laps, followed by x-stoked 20 laps. Check sharpness. Does it easily shave arm hair? Repeat if necessary. On 9um, 5um, 3um one set of the above while decreasing pressure as you move up the grits. On 1um use soapy water and no pressure only a few laps of x-strokes. Strop well and shave.

Thanks! Are the small circles only needed during the bevel setting process, or with every grit?

I already have a shave ready GD. I haven't even used it yet, because I've been waiting for my strop to arrive. It arrives today.

Patience grasshopper, patience

I just want a straight forward answer on how I might get the Fili to shave ready with what I've already ordered
The answer you seek can't be given without inspecting the razor in hand.

So, basically what I'm saying is do these razors come at a certain level of sharpness with a preset bevel that I can touch up with the aforementioned films, or do I need to start from the ground up?

If you have to ask, then IMO you are not ready to learn to hone on a NOS fili.

Your razor, do with it what you please.

I didn't order those films because I only planned on buying razors with a preset bevel.

I treat every razor as needing a bevel set.

If you have to ask, then IMO you are not ready to learn to hone on a NOS fili.

Your razor, do with it what you please.

Bingo

I treat every razor as needing a bevel set.

Aaaand... bingo.

Not every razor needs a bevel set, and it won't need it every time, but you have to be able to know if it needs it or not, and eventually, any razor that you are using, even if you keep it touched up, WILL need to have the bevel set.
Every time you hone you are removing steel from the edge. That changes the bevel angle. Eventually, you get to the point that nothing you can do on the 4000+ will bring back "that" edge.

Thanks for the advice and telling it like it is. I think I'll just hold up on this desire till I have a few months experience under my belt.

Top Bottom