What's new

Buckwheat hull pillow review

It wasn't too long ago that someone on here was asking for opinions on mattresses. I have no answers for that (still looking for the right one, myself), but I have found what I think might be the perfect pillow for me.

I'm a very restless sleeper, lots of thrashing and rolling. I also sleep very "hot" - it is not uncommon for me to wake up soaked in sweat. As a result, I can destroy an average set of bedding in a remarkably short time. The average cheap pillow from department stores will only last me a month or two before I completely flatten it. In addition, I have three herniated discs in my neck that cause me a lot of orthopedic issues, and I need a very firm pillow that can support my neck.

I've searched high and low for decent bedding. I've tried pillow after pillow, and none of them could stand up to my abuse. But my current pillow is the best I've ever slept on: the "Beans72" Organic Buckwheat Pillow, from Amazon. Costs $60 for the queen size, shipped.

Make no mistake about what your sixty dollars buys you - there is nothing fancy about this thing. You get a coarse cotton sack stuffed full of probably ten pounds of buckwheat hulls. This is not a delicate item - it is a specialty product intended to provide maximum support for people with neck injuries.

Pros:
Very firm, infinitely adjustable support. The buckwheat hulls can be molded to whatever position you require with a simple sweep of your hands. This is the best support for my herniated discs that I've found. Perfect for side-sleepers. Okay for back-sleepers, but the queen size may be a little thicker than ideal.

Heavy-duty. Those buckwheat hulls won't last forever - I'll eventually grind them down, but it looks like they are going to last a very long time. And the companies that make these pillows will sell you a box of replacement hulls when you need them.

Fairly cool-sleeping. The buckwheat hulls circulate a decent amount of air through the pillow, so if you are a hot sleeper like me, you may find that buckwheat pillows don't get as hot as the average pillow. Mine is not as cool-sleeping as was advertised, but it isn't bad.

Cons:
The firmness might be too much for most. You are basically sleeping on a sack of hard granules. As I said, this is a specialty product, probably not for the average sleeper.

Noise. You get used to it, but there is some noise as the hulls shift when you move your head or adjust the pillow.

Weight. No kidding, this pillow probably weighs ten pounds or more. Your wife will need help changing the pillowcase.

This thing has done my neck a world of good, and if you have sleep problems or neck injuries similar to mine, a buckwheat pillow might be worth checking out. I love mine.

I've used a buckwheat hull pillow for years and love mine. I have trouble sleeping without it. I can see how it may not be for everyone though.

Thanks for the review. I've been on a quest to find the right pillow for years and years. My head is quite large (with ego to match! :) ), and heavy. Any normal pillow I just immediately crush right down to the bed surface. I also side sleep (both for comfort and an as yet failed attempt to reduce my snoring). Foam pillows can do ok for a while - if it's winter and I've got the house in the low 60's, which keeps them stiffer. Even then, the massive heat my head puts out has it all squishy with a couple of hours. In the summer, forget about it. Maybe I'll give this a try. I have my doubts, as anything with a bead-like makeup would seem to be prone to settling and low support. But I'm about out of options.

Last edited:
I've got a Sobikawa pillow, and my only knock on it is the size. If it were twice as big, or even bigger, I think it would be perfect.

I've got a Sobikawa pillow, and my only knock on it is the size. If it were twice as big, or even bigger, I think it would be perfect.

You can buy them bigger. I got my last one at mypillow.com about 5 years ago ( I may he wrong on the site name - it has been 5 years). It's a standard size pillow. I liked theirs for that reason and because you could change out the hulls or remove some if you want the pillow less full. I took about half the hulls out of mine. I'm thinking of getting another pillow case and using them to make a second pillow.

If you get a buckwheat pillow, do a little research and avoid any infomercial brands ( they are okay, for there us much better out there)

After reading the reviews, I just received one of the beans72 king sized pillows. Came home this morning after working all night and gave it a try. Hard to say after one sleep on it, but my neck doesn't seem to hurt as bad this afternoon. So far, so good!

After reading the reviews, I just received one of the beans72 king sized pillows. Came home this morning after working all night and gave it a try. Hard to say after one sleep on it, but my neck doesn't seem to hurt as bad this afternoon. So far, so good!

I'm still loving mine. Best side-sleeping pillow I've ever had.

yep, I've got one, had it for a couple of years now, and I'm sure it has helped with some neck issues that were the result of a pretty big stack while snow boarding about 10 years ago.

I bought one for SHMBO, and she doesn't like her's so it's in a closet. What was quite an eye opener was how light hers is as I'm assuming it' completely dried out, where as mine which is in daily use is noticeably heavier. I guess from the moisture from daily use.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I have several for many years but only use them when I have a neck ache, which they cure overnight.

Thank you for this review: I never even heard of a buckwheat hull pillow. I suffer with neck pain and can't wait to try this and see if it makes a difference.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I bought two big bags of buckwheat hulls for my wife (that's me, Mr. Vegas) and she's going to make her own pillow with them. I'll let you know how it works out.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
This thread needs more Buckwheat

Attachments

• $buckwheat.jpg
    $buckwheat.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 23
Top Bottom