What's new

which razors are made of brass/stainless

Shouldn't well applied coatings, hard chrome or DLC coatings be more durable than what's being said here. I mean lots of ar15 have DLC type coatings on the bolts and carriers and the bores are hard chrome. They take massive beatings no problem.

no, I have nothing to do with feather. just tested it's resistance. if it does not conduct good it will not lead to degradation of the base metal.

uh, a nicely used ar15 looks like poopoo. doesn't matter on that though. just looks more badazz. on a watch or other luxury item I think it really detracts when it starts to disappear in spots. looks like measles.

bleach will kill just about anything called metal with enough soak. try that with zamac!

I honestly think you could have left "caution". however that was really stand up of you to listen to the consensus.

Since a list is being compiled, and the worry was about Zamac... Then why not add an Aluminium Section as well?

Aluminium:
Standard Razor (Coated)
RazoRock Stealth Slant (Coated)

no, I have nothing to do with feather. just tested it's resistance. if it does not conduct good it will not lead to degradation of the base metal.

Very cool that you tested it. It's great to have a member who knows this stuff! :thumbup1:

Thanks!
Shawn

So, are all vintage Gillette razors all solid brass?

Most are, to my knowledge. Some of the Techs are Zamak (it may only be the top cap, though, and not the base plate). I have a '51 Tech, and the top cap is definitely zinc-alloy. Some of the nickel plating is gone on the threads, and the gray, rough, zinc-alloy is clearly visible. I read that the way to tell on the Techs is by the weight of the top cap (the brass and copper ones are heavier than the zinc-alloy).

Most are, to my knowledge. Some of the Techs are Zamak (it may only be the top cap, though, and not the base plate). I have a '51 Tech, and the top cap is definitely zinc-alloy. Some of the nickel plating is gone on the threads, and the gray, rough, zinc-alloy is clearly visible. I read that the way to tell on the Techs is by the weight of the top cap (the brass and copper ones are heavier than the zinc-alloy).

Thanks! I am very interested in this subject as I definitely want my next razor to be all brass or stainless.

I wonder why no one is making all brass anymore? (Best I can tell anyway; it seems that current production razors of all brass construction like the Parker are in doubt).

It can't be cost, the stainless razors like ATT are pricey enough. Is it generational? Maybe an all stainless product us more marketable than a high priced solid brass one...

Last edited:
Absolutely beautiful photo. I own a AS-D2 and a feather DX and they are both prized possessions. I think the most under-rated DE razor today is the Shavecraft 101. What an affordable masterpiece. (honorable mention to the Weber stainless)
My main squeeze is an OSS, so I guess I'm biased. I have a Fatip that is a bit too aggressive for me, but I'm told it is plated brass. I would be willing to bet that, with reasonably good care, a well plated zamak head (EJ, Muhle, Merkur) would outlast its original owner. I guess "reasonably" is the key word here. You can't very well drop something like a razor (or a mobile phone, remote control, MP3 player, etc) from waist high onto a hard floor and expect it to sustain no damage. Certainly that's part of the popularity of Sensor2 shavers and Bic stick pens - who cares? - trash 'em! I am a craftsman and have been accustomed to cleaning and putting carefully away all tools I use, of any kind. My shaving tackle is no exception. I think that disposable items have their place but the throw-away pens, lighters, and razors have gone too far. Sorry, don't mean to rant.
There's a company here in Seattle that has a motto: "Might as well have the best". It is a tested philosophy: get the best you can afford and take great good care of it. Get a good quality pen or two, and a nice couple of razors and give them the treatment they deserve. What might seem to some an extravagance could turn out to be one of the better investments of your life - certainly in terms of personal satisfaction. Especially with pens and lighters - think of them as jewelry you can use. I admire a Maserati or Aston Martin as much as anyone, and I have become comfortably resigned to the idea that I'll never own one, but I can have a really nice razor and a Pelikan pen.

...sometimes it feels like I'm a blind man in a dark room looking for a black hat that isn't there. Owning a really fine piece of small, portable property can be enormously satisfying. Perhaps the blind mans best revenge...

Last edited:
Top Bottom