What's new

GEM SE razor restore

I recently acquired this GEM SE razor and would like to clean it up and get it shaving again.
As close as I can tell it's a 1912 razor, the mechanism opens OK, handle unscrews easily, looks fairly tarnished all round.
I have done some reading up and found a suggestion to use about 70% Hydrogen peroxide solution for the razor to soak in. Then wash off maybe light brush with old toothbrush, re soak if necessary. Another suggestion is to use hot water and baking soda solution (1/2 gal hot water to 1/2 cup baking soda) in a similar way.

Do any members have experience to share using either of these methods???

So far I have scrubbed it lightly using an old toothbrush and toothpaste to get into all the nooks and crannies. Wiped it as dry as possible and it seems to be looking a bit brighter. Still plenty of tarnish on the razor.
Got some pics below to show what I'm talking about.

Razor as it came to me

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

After first clean with toothpaste
attachment.php
attachment.php

Any and all input welcome.
Thanks in advance​

I have two just like it. 1: I put it in the ultrasonic cleaner(optional), for a few minutes. I took the top door off. You have to be careful and it comes off easily with a small screwdriver to pry it off the pivot point. Try not to scratch anything in doo g this step. Next I took a brass brush and scrubbed it good with mild dish soap. After that, you can see how much plating remains. I then used FLITZ metal polish and an old rag to bring out the shine. 2: The second one's finish was so far gone, I bought some bright nickel solution on a site and electroplated it myself. On this one I did buff it with a Dremel tool, to a smooth finish before the plating. Both turned out looking great. The one I electroplated looked better than new. Yours could be either one of the two.

Thanks for your informative reply - definitely will try the mild dish soap and brass brush scrub and see how it looks then.
if that doesn't help I may go the sandblaster route - as I don't have access to ultrasonic bath or an electroplating setup.
Have a good day mate

Home electroplating is remarkably easy. All you need, basically, is the Bright Nickel solution, a 9 volt battery, some wire, alligator clips, and some pure nickel anodes. All are easy and cheap to find. Several ways to get the pure nickel, cheap. Bright Nickel solution is the most expensive, at around $17. Hold off on the sand blaster, It might pit the surface. If interested in this route, I can give more detailed instructions. This a fun way to resort a 100 year old treasure.

That one is so cruddy that it may need to be replated. If you do that, prep is the key. The plating will not cover blemishes, scratches or pitting, so if you scrub and polish, be sure to get surface like you want it before you plate.

That one is so bad off I'd put it on the shelf and tell people it came from the Titanic, and then get another one for shaving.

The GEM Personna blade from Connaught are pretty much the defacto standard for GEM razors. http://connaughtshaving.com/gemss.html They are excellent blades.

I've never tried the Feather SE blade, but since it has no spine, it probably won't sit right (fine for something like the Valet Autostrop razor, tho)

I have two just like it. 1: I put it in the ultrasonic cleaner(optional), for a few minutes. I took the top door off. You have to be careful and it comes off easily with a small screwdriver to pry it off the pivot point. Try not to scratch anything in doo g this step. Next I took a brass brush and scrubbed it good with mild dish soap. After that, you can see how much plating remains. I then used FLITZ metal polish and an old rag to bring out the shine. 2: The second one's finish was so far gone, I bought some bright nickel solution on a site and electroplated it myself. On this one I did buff it with a Dremel tool, to a smooth finish before the plating. Both turned out looking great. The one I electroplated looked better than new. Yours could be either one of the two.
We need photos!!!!

Don't know how to download digital, but I will see if I can get a few by this weekend. My wife does the digital camera downloads.

I do not know if this will work, but here goes.
$Scott pics 062.jpg$Scott pics 063.jpg$Scott pics 065.jpg
The GEMs in pictures two,and three were all completely replated. The German travel razor only had the handle replated. The GEMS with the scroll-work handles were completely trashed and had to have a lot of cleaning and polishing work, done to them, by me. The GEM on the far left had a total brass finish, to begin with. The German travel razor had an cruddy finish and I just wanted it to look better . As far as the items in photo #1, that is all that is needed to replate, minus what you would need to buff and polish. My finishes do not have a mirror shine, because these were my first attempts at plating. But I will say, I plan on replating the doors on the GEMS, after I acquire some better buffing wheels.

Attachments

• $Scott pics 061.jpg
    $Scott pics 061.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 77
Top Bottom