What's new

My New Edwin Jagger DE89LBL

My new Edwin Jagger DE89LBL was delivered by UPS today. They included a complementary 5-pack of Derby Extra SS DE razor blades. I've been waiting for this to arrive since I ordered it last Tuesday. Until this EJ DE89LBL arrived today my sole DE razor was a cheaper Weisei DE Razor. Until now I thought shaving with my Weisei DE razor gave me great shave. I was so wrong.

Shortly after UPS delivered my Edwin Jagger DE89LBL razor I opened the box to examine what was included with my new DE razor. It was nice finding a complimentary 5-pack of Derby razor blades. They also included a small pamphlet on the Edwin Jagger razors.

Long story short, I took my first shave with my DE razor. This shave was spectacular! I had a two-day growth of whiskers since I didn't have to leave the house yesterday. The combination of the razor weight, razor blade and my shaving experience it gave me the best shave since I started using a DE safety razor. I can't believe that I waited this long to buy a quality made DE safety razor. Now I'm considering buying one or two more. I'll still keep the Weisei razor but it will only be a back-up razor only.

Now the next question I'm considering is what brand of razor to buy next. I'm considering making a Merkur my next DE razor to add to my collection.

Attachments

• $Razor 002.jpg
    $Razor 002.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 438
Last edited:
Got a DE89 for my first DE and love it as well, didn't get on with the free Derby blades I got though, but sounds like they work well for you which is great. I got a flare tip Super Speed next and really like that as well and have found that the Gillette 7 o'clock yellow blades work best for me, maybe try a vintage razor as well? experimenting with razors and blades is all part of the fun as I am finding out.

Not that it matters but the razor is a DE89L. The BL means it comes with five Derby blades and the first L means the handle has lines.

If you are upgrading, go adjustable, slant, vintage, stainless or get a straight. As terrific as that razor is, over time, you will have little/no need for multiple, modern Zamak razors.

WarrenB, I never realized that having a quality DE razor makes a major difference in your shaving experience. The JE DE89LBL is a razor I plan on keeping for quite some time. I used an Astra SS razor in the razor. I've tried Derby razor blades before and they did a competent job but they the didn't impress me. After I tried the Astra SS razor blade I realized that that brand was an excellent brand that works for me. I then ordered a 100-pack of them. Now for the most part all I use are Astra SS razor blades.

I'm always looking for some vintage DE razors in my travels. I would love to find a few used DE razors to "rehab" if they are not in the best condition. It would be nice to add some additional razors to my collection. I may still by some other quality brand razor in the future but I'm in rush to do so. Anytime I can add a new DE razor (new or used) it will be a great experience.

WarrenB, I never realized that having a quality DE razor makes a major difference in your shaving experience. The JE DE89LBL is a razor I plan on keeping for quite some time. I used an Astra SS razor in the razor. I've tried Derby razor blades before and they did a competent job but they the didn't impress me. After I tried the Astra SS razor blade I realized that that brand was an excellent brand that works for me. I then ordered a 100-pack of them. Now for the most part all I use are Astra SS razor blades.

I'm always looking for some vintage DE razors in my travels. I would love to find a few used DE razors to "rehab" if they are not in the best condition. It would be nice to add some additional razors to my collection. I may still by some other quality brand razor in the future but I'm in rush to do so. Anytime I can add a new DE razor (new or used) it will be a great experience.

I am still on a learning curve myself, didn't realise how much difference the blades would make, think I have tried about 12 types now and have found the Gillette 7 o'clock Yellows best for me so far, I have 7 DE's already now in the first 6 weeks of getting in to it!! Apart form the DE89 all the others are vintage, great fun finding them and trying them out.

Eely_Hovercraft, I already have considered buying some other type of razors. My grandfather on my Dad's side shaved with a straight razor. As a child I recall occasionally seeing him in the bathroom shaving with a straight razor. When my Mom & Dad first got married they moved into his Dad's house the first 5 years of their married life. Years later I asked my late Dad about Grandpa and his shaving with a straight razor. From when he first started shaving he only shaved with straight razors. That may be my next razor to add to my collection.

My new Edwin Jagger DE89LBL was delivered by UPS today. They included a complementary 5-pack of Derby Extra SS DE razor blades. I've been waiting for this to arrive since I ordered it last Tuesday. Until this EJ DE89LBL arrived today my sole DE razor was a cheaper Weisei DE Razor. Until now I thought shaving with my Weisei DE razor gave me great shave. I was so wrong.

Shortly after UPS delivered my Edwin Jagger DE89LBL razor I opened the box to examine what was included with my new DE razor. It was nice finding a complimentary 5-pack of Derby razor blades. They also included a small pamphlet on the Edwin Jagger razors.

Long story short, I took my first shave with my DE razor. This shave was spectacular! I had a two-day growth of whiskers since I didn't have to leave the house yesterday. The combination of the razor weight, razor blade and my shaving experience it gave me the best shave since I started using a DE safety razor. I can't believe that I waited this long to buy a quality made DE safety razor. Now I'm considering buying one or two more. I'll still keep the Weisei razor but it will only be a back-up razor only.

Now the next question I'm considering is what brand of razor to buy next. I'm considering making a Merkur my next DE razor to add to my collection.
Wait till you try your razor with a SS Bulldog handle.

I own 2 DEs and a Standard Razor. The Standard has almost exactly the same head geometry as the Jaggers. Shaves about the same also. Ej is a great razor.

I have various vintage razors & the DE89 is a fantastic daily razor as it gives a reasonably close & very smooth 2 or 3 pass shave.
Yes it's made from pot metal, but they are fairly cheap in the scheme of things & should last many years.

I just purchased the same razor that I am gonna give my friend to try to get him into de shaving. I have one already and it is a great razor. I think your next razor should be a adjustable of some sort. I have been using the de89l for some time but since I got my fat boy a few weeks ago it has been all I have used. Congrats on the new razor.

Top Bottom