What's new

Proraso. Which one?

I have the red. the soap is easy to lather, was not crazy about the sandalwood scent.

+1

I have the Red cream and would say the performance is excellent - much better than any product that reasonably priced has any right to be. A little goes a long way, and it's very thick and moisturising when lathered properly.

I really don't like the scent. To me, it smells bitter; almost mouldy.

Is the Proraso after shave good? I see they have blue/white/green.
Also, any recommended site to order from?

Thanks

I am a white fan. It's one of my top three (though currently I am using the soap and not the cream, as I have been playing with soaps lately!).

I have a coarse beard is spots, and sensitive skin, and the white is great for that.

Like most folks here, I find there is no menthol in the white. Just a nice clean smell.

Though menthol may be an ingredient in the White; I like some others, do not pick it up. I personally love all of them but White is probably my favorite. I also use the White and Blue aftershaves, great stuff!

I originally tried white in the tub when I first started DE shaving, and I just hated it. I've been using TOBS and The Body Shops shaving cream that are both amazing. I had been wanting to try the Proraso creams so bad though and just received a sample tube of green. Man, it is AMAZING!! The menthol is awesome. I have a sensitive face so I wasn't sure, but the cushion and feel is awesome!

Dave,

You're leaning towards a wonderful family of products. I currently have all four--I think I may be able to help you out or at least do a quick compare/contrast for your benefit. Hopefully it helps answer your question.

On Proraso's website, the red is meant for coarse beards, and it is super moisturizing and slick. The smell is also a more masculine rendition of sandalwood.

White has a bit of a cleaner, lighter scent, not as luscious a scent as bar soap but not far off from a fancy one. This one is meant for sensitive skin but in reality shaves just as nicely.

Green, as you know, is basically a mentholated pleasure, and it's meant to register a sort of astringent property to the skin to help prevent razor burn.

Blue is blue, only a cream is offered, it smells like speed stick deodorant but shaves vey nicely.

The answer to best depends on your mood / preference / need. I like them all, but some may require the need of one over the other. I will say I prefer Soaps to creams, so, if you choose to buy, for example, proraso white in a tub, be sure to check out some lathering tutorials to make the best assessment!

If you have any more questions, post them here and we'll answer. Good luck.

Major +1 here!

I just purchased the white soap and white after shave balm. Since I have sensitive skin/coarse beard, I'm going to try the white first and see how I like it (since I've tried the green already). Purchased a brush also.

Can I use the brush directly in the shaving tub, or do I need to use a separate dish?

I load my brush in the tub, then transfer to a home made mug. But any mug will do. I am new to the site as well. Look at the shavewiki link up top. There are great instructions on how to create an awesome lather

Proraso White Ingredients: Aqua (water), Stearic Acid, Cocos nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Potassium Hydroxide, Glycerin, Sodium Hydroxide, Lactic Acid, Parfum (fragrance), Menthol, Tocopheryl Acetate, Sodium Lauroyl Sarcosinate, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Sodium Hydroxymethylgycinate, Hexyl Cinnamal, Geraniol, Citral Limonene, Linalool, Pentaerythrityl Tetra-di-t-butyl Hydroxyhydrocinnamate, Thymus vulgaris (Thyme) Flower/Leaf Extract, Etidronic Acid, Tetrasodium EDTA

It always freezes my face off, almost to the point of being painful. I get no such freeze from Green, just light cooling.

See I don't detect even the slightest bit of menthol. At all. I don't smell it or feel it and I have a pretty low menthol tolerance. I've never heard of anyone else ever saying that they've had that issue before either. I'm wondering if maybe there isn't some other ingredient that is hyper-sensitizing your face to, what appears to be a very small amount of, the menthol in there. I honestly had no idea that anyone had ever considered Proraso White a face freezer, haha. Really, its quite the mystery to me and I think I'm going to investigate.

I never know how my skin is going to react to new products. So I ordered samples of Proraso Blue, White, Red, and Green from Maggard Razors. My skin seems to like the white best, but I really enjoy the smell of the green.

Love them all. Enough said.:thumbup:

Well maybe a few more words. The Green is the same as the Bigelow. The White croap I find to have menthol but not as much as the green. The Blue and Red are both slick and protective, and great for colder weather. They all give great shaves and are a good value. YMMV notwithstanding.

I've got to say that I've only been wet shaving with a str8 for a few months. I tried vdh soap first, which is good. Then bigelow/proraso green. Its definitely a step up. Slick cushiony lather with invigorating menthol tingle. Awesome!!! Can't speak on other products though.

As for lathering technique, I start by hydrating brush and beard. Then get a large almond shaped mound and start rubbing a little into each section of my beard with fingers. I shake out the brush and hand lather whatever's left on my non-dominant hand. I let the faucet drip. Then face lather and apply a few drops of water to brush for each section of beard. I divide beard into four sections.

I can't believe I'm actually looking forward to shaving once I get my new razor. Ordered the Jagger DE89 and a sample pack of DE blades. From what I've read, will definitely take some getting used to, switching from my cart (Mach3). I also shave my head, which from what I've read, I may stick with the cart and possibly try the DE once I get used to it on my face. Purchased the Proraso white and will try the other "colors" as time goes on.

Top Bottom