What's new

Plymouth Brush Find

I picked up this Plymouth Brush with the intention of restoring but after a quick clean up I'm not sure what I will do with it.

It was a little dirty when I got it but it looked in great condition. The knot didn't even look broken in but I figured it would be a lousy knot, dry and brittle. After cleaning it up and washing out the knot a few times without it shedding I gave it a second look.

It appears the outer hair is 3 band but looking at the interior of the knot, I think the center is more black badger, it's a little stiffer than the outside. So I thought I'd give it a try. It worked great on hard soap in the first two uses. Holds a good bit of water and plenty of soap for a 3-4 pass shave. Didn't lose any hairs in either use which i found amazing.

Knot measures roughly 22.5mm wide by 53mm high.

Anyone know anything about this company? Haven't been able to find much about them and haven't seen this particular brush before.

Attachments

• $Ply crop on arrival.jpg
    $Ply crop on arrival.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 120
  • $P7181693.jpg
    $P7181693.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 121
  • $P7181691.jpg
    $P7181691.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 121
  • $P7181692.jpg
    $P7181692.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 122
I would rather have that one than the Plymouth I just re-built. I scored mine on da bay with an old spice mug and original unused old spice soap for less then $20.

Here is a mine. Want to trade? :tongue_sm

I picked up this Plymouth Brush with the intention of restoring but after a quick clean up I'm not sure what I will do with it.

It was a little dirty when I got it but it looked in great condition. The knot didn't even look broken in but I figured it would be a lousy knot, dry and brittle. After cleaning it up and washing out the knot a few times without it shedding I gave it a second look.

It appears the outer hair is 3 band but looking at the interior of the knot, I think the center is more black badger, it's a little stiffer than the outside. So I thought I'd give it a try. It worked great on hard soap in the first two uses. Holds a good bit of water and plenty of soap for a 3-4 pass shave. Didn't lose any hairs in either use which i found amazing.

Knot measures roughly 22.5mm wide by 53mm high.

Anyone know anything about this company? Haven't been able to find much about them and haven't seen this particular brush before.

From the pictures it looks like you have cleaned it up nice. Looks great.

Thanks for all the comments. It is a very unique brush. I used it this morning on a new puck of Tabac and it did a fantastic job, better than many of my modern brushes. The center ring of hair really holds a lot of water and since it is a little stiffer it helped to whip up a great lather. I think it will take a while to fully break it in.

For the clean up, all I did was use a little Comet Cleaner and a Brillo type pad. That got the dirt and soap scum off the handle and seems to have lightened the color a little. Maybe from the bleach content. I was really surprised with the results.

Thanks for the trade offer Deeebs but I think I'll hold on to this one for a while.

I'm guessing it has badger on the outside (badger cased) and boar on the inside.

Evidently mixed bristle was once somewhat common, as a step between boar and badger. I have run across a few of those, but this is a first "badger cased" brush I have been aware of.

If it works for you great. If you tire of it, or wear it out, consider re-knotting it with their finest or silvertip badger for a serious upgrade.

Top Bottom