What's new

Need dress shoe suggestions - $100 range

Congrats. Let us know how the shoes fit, look and feel. Keep them in individual shoe bags and use shoe trees. Polish them once in a while and you will never have to buy new shoes again. Most people I know don’t work in an office and never have to wear dress clothing until someone gets married or dies.
Ignore the haters. Pocket square and no tie, sounds very Sinatra to me.
Stay classy my friend.
Johnny

Thanks, Johnny!

I have to admit, I'm going back and forth on the tie now. I placed an order on Natty Shirts last night and got options for with and without a tie. I'll get a tie, too, just in case I decide to go that route. Any suggestions? I was looking on Tie Bar this morning and liked the look of some of their stuff.

Last, but not least, the postman delivered my shoes this morning. I had stayed home from work to meat some furniture guys, so it worked out well. I grabbed a pair of socks and tried them on as soon as they were out of the box. They fit great and are surprsingly comfortable. Aside from how silly I looked wearing them with gym shorts and an undershirt, I think they'll be great with my suit!

Thanks again to all of you for the suggestions and well wishes. I'm very happy that I didn't end up with a mediocre pair of shoes in the end.

Thrift stores are worth a try on ties. Can find some gems there pretty easy, sometimes. Depends on your area and the convenience factor (not worth driving 45 min to save $10). It helps if you an idea of what style and colors you are looking for up front

Thanks, Johnny!

I have to admit, I'm going back and forth on the tie now. I placed an order on Natty Shirts last night and got options for with and without a tie. I'll get a tie, too, just in case I decide to go that route. Any suggestions? I was looking on Tie Bar this morning and liked the look of some of their stuff.

You want to do a tie with black shoes and a solid charcoal suit. To pull off the no-tie look, you really have to move the whole outfit more casual - a grey, brown or obviously patterned (contrast stripe, windowpane plaid, Prince-of-Wales plaid) suit, brown or oxblood shoes. I've done a morning wedding ceremony in a subtle grey windowpane with plain shirt, solid pocket square and bold tie with black cap-toes; and then changed into brown bicycle-toe shoes, a striped shirt, lost the tie, and added a bold pattern pocket square for the more casual afternoon reception.

Top Bottom