What's new

Razor model i.d. help.

Hi, i need a little bit of help in identifying these two razors that i have had and used for some time.
I know that they are a valet autostrop and a wilkinson sword stroping razor, but can anyone help me out with identifying
the mode ie vc1 or w15.
Many thanks for looking at my poor photographs.
$DSC_0466.jpg$DSC_0467.jpg$DSC_0468.jpg$DSC_0469.jpg$DSC_0470.jpg

I can't help you with the ID, but those are two really cool razors. Where did you find them? I always enjoy reading the acquisition details.

I can't help you with the ID, but those are two really cool razors. Where did you find them? I always enjoy reading the acquisition details.

I found the autostrop for £8.00 and the wilkinson was £12.00 both on uk ebay.The funny thing is the wilkie gives a close shave as its adjustable, but it then feels very rough when i am useing it, saying that it does not cause any irritation.
The autostrop is a very easy to use razor and is very much underated in my opinion.

yes the Valet looks to be a vc-1...the Wilkinson Sword is the Empire model circ. 1930.
Its getting hard to find the replacement hand forged blades for the Empire, but if you have any in good shape they can be honed similar to a straight razor.
The Empire does have an adjustment to change the gap of the lather roller in front of the blade..very cool..:thumbup1:

What blade is in the Wilkinson? Modern or vintage? My Gems only work after being altered.
The blade is a cut down personna hairshaper blade, or a vintage sextoblade will also work but these are difficult to find.

Valet VC1 Model C Set - one of the best IMO. I have a number and seems to keep acquiring them.

Wilkinson Sword Empire W15 - de-spine a GEM blade, crack off the back corners and see how it slips into the blade guide all the way back? Enjoy.

The blade looks like a cut-down GEM, judging by the "Stainless" and the position of the central oval. Wilkinson Sword did do their own framebacks, which you'll often find in the later examples. Keep this one as a reference in case you want to hack your own ... although the bodge above does seem easier.

Its getting hard to find the replacement hand forged blades for the Empire, but if you have any in good shape they can be honed similar to a straight razor.

Wilkinson Sword Empire W15 - de-spine a GEM blade, crack off the back corners and see how it slips into the blade guide all the way back? Enjoy.

Yup. This was a big revelation to me a few years back. Check out this thread from this post on for more detailed instructions and photos.

Top Bottom