What's new

Nighttime face Routine - What do you do?

most skin care routines i've read recommend:

cleanser
toner
moisturizer

witch hazel is a good toner. it tends to be a little drying, hence the moisturizer.

I've tried to go more basic numerous times, but it always results in more breakouts and ingrowns for me. By midday my face is an oil slick in the summer. If I just went to bed that oil gets all over my pillowcase and then it's just building up and clogging my pores night after night. Even washing my face at night I still try to change my pillowcase twice a week. I've read that I should actually just lay a fresh towel on my pillow every night. I think everyone is different. I know some people that drink hardly any water and their skin looks fine whereas I need to drink 12-16 glasses/day for my skin and digestion.

I use Naive Facial Cleanser and baby shampoo on my closed eye lids. I find the more simple the routine, the better off I am. The baby shampoo is because I get styes.

I was doing nothing until I started wetshaving. Now I wash with a face wash. Was using Nivea for Men, but recently switched over to Lucky Tiger.

What do I do to my face before bed? Absolutely nothing. Never have, never will.

Same here. I find that if I wash my face at night and shower in the morning, my face gets too dry and tight.

new for this week i'm going to try to skip washing my face in the morning too...just let the water do its thing

that baxter of california looks reasonably priced for a boutique item. I do need a good evening face wash

Absolutely. A little goes a very long way with it too. I give the pump only half of a compression and it's plenty to wash one's face... So, the price is even more appealing to me after my experience with it.

what is the oil cleansing method? I shall look that up. I'd skip the the towel process though.. too time consuming.

Basically a mix of oils you massage into your face, then hold a hot towel over your face until the towel cools, then gently wipe off any excess oil.

Seems like castor oil as a base mixed with olive oil is a common one. I tried it with just coconut oil and it was breakout time.

It may if you try it. Lay off the products and your skin might return to its normal self. Its hard to battle against nature. It worked for me.

If I may chime in here. In some cases, you may be very well right. I, however, am not one of those cases. My skin's "normal self" is naturally oily. Naturally oily skin can rear ugly side effects. Up until this year I have never used any products. I've been using facial washes made with good ingredients and I'm happy to report that I am not having these issues any longer. Laying off product isn't always the answer. Sometimes trying product is.

Last edited:
Wash with clean, running cold water. Smile at myself in the mirror. Smile at wife standing next to me looking at me weird. Go to bed.

Most nights I wash with Simple Moisturising Facial Wash and splash with Simple Soothing Facial Toner.
Twice a week I do a bit of a scrub with Biotherm Homme facial exfoliator, followed by their Force Supreme anti-aging lotion. Not convinced they're doing much for me, and probably won't restock when they're out.

I've used the Baxter daily face wash before, and liked it. I'm thinking about going back to the Ursa Major toner, I enjoyed that stuff. I was just hoping Simple provided a cost-effective substitute.

I've been recently using Neutrogena Men's Invigorating Face Wash before bed with excellent results. I tend to have oily skin and this does a nice job of cleaning without drying out my face. Smells and feels good, also!

Last edited:
I had been thinking of that neutrogena because it is so readily available. I grabbed the pacific pre shave stuff, but its got the gritty exfoliating thing going on. I don't like that as much. smells ok though. I'll try the neutrogena next time.

I shower and wash my face with a tallow based soap, then dry and apply a small amount of Shea Butter whipped with coconut oil.

Dr. Bronners liquid peppermint soap, warm water. Afterwards use your hands to rub the water into your face known as "palming off". Lastly, just a touch of coconut oil to seal the water in. I get accused of being in my early 30's and I'm 52.

Top Bottom