What's new

I'm not going back!

Well, after months and months of DE wet shaving and prep refinement, etc. I had to travel out of town, and thought, "It's only for a few nights...I'll pack my old Gilette Fusion and Vulfix brush. For old times sake." (I admit to being somewhat worried that I would not tell much of a difference, or realize that this was more of a fetish than anything else...or even a distinction without a difference).

Well, it was NOT a good experience. I used Proraso Green cream and ASB (they did not fail), but the old brush all of a sudden had no backbone, and the trusty Gillette had no feel, no accuracy, no...NOTHIN'. Yes, I got a BBS (I usually did), but the experience was entirely empty, without sense of ritual or reward. I just wasn't aware of how powerful the 34C HD and the Simpson Duke 2 and the Crystal Plus' were, as part of a WHOLE experience. And I've this forum to thank. I was always afraid that my new wet-shaving lifestyle was not altogether genuine. But the difference was STARK. Thanks, Badger and Blade. The dream is real. There can be no return. And now I also see that the result is not necessarily the most important part.

Congrats on your decision to start DE razor shaving! I was the same way until I discovered a DE razor for sale in a local big box store. Once I tried this new method of shaving I realized, like you, I'm not going back to the other methods of shaving.

I know what you mean.
I had allowed extra facial hair to grow and I ended up using the old fusion just to keep it in neat trim along the edges. I did this for a number of months.
I decided to rid myself of the extra (just have a mustache) and have been back to the routine for the past few weeks and I found I really missed it.

I could go back to my entirely irritation free electric shaves.
I could go back to the scent-less purgatory.
I could go back to the sting-free life before clubman.
I could go back to half-hearted, screen door shaves.
But I choose to remain.

I could go back to my entirely irritation free electric shaves.
I could go back to the scent-less purgatory.
I could go back to the sting-free life before clubman.
I could go back to half-hearted, screen door shaves.
But I choose to remain.
The only way I ever saw adults shaving was electric when I was growing up, and I suppose I subconsciously felt I was out of step when I never made the adjustment; the things always irritated my face, eventually, sooner or later. Even the least irritating, the Norelcos, only would "be nice" when brand spanking new. I never had that trouble from traditional razors, or my Sensor twin razor.

But any time I was trying one of those again, I didn't discontinue using aftershave, and it was skin irritation from electrics that led me to using the balm types of mens lotions, most of which are unscented, but I used them in concert with a scented aftershave.

"Screen door shaves" is a new one on me. Is that the way your skin feels within maybe a half hour after an electric shave? More or less like four hours after a traditional shave?

I've got my ritual down and have no plan to EVER use carts and goo again, the shaves just wouldn't be as satisfactory.

I'm surprised you even tried it! One month in and I'm a confirmed DE user. Mind you, if you had experienced 30 years of razor burn, irritation and being unable to shave daily, you wouldn't have tried it, lol.

An experience like this no doubt cements people into the DE group for good!

Sold all my fusion stuff on craigslist shortly after starting my DE journey. I have some electrics to sell as well. Travel or whatever - I have no plans of ever going back to carts or electric.

About a month into DE shaving I had my doubts about continuing. At 7 months now, I will NOT go back. Finally getting things tuned and really enjoying it.

I'm going out of town to New Orleans for this week, with a much different setup: Simpson's Duke 2, Merkur 30C, T&H Lime cream, balm, cologne, Osma block. Should be much better!

I agree. Once I tried wet shaving I have never let a cartridge razor touch my whiskers again. I figure why mess with what is working and gives me enjoyment.

Top Bottom