What's new

Birthday present from the Mrs...

Will be here in a few weeks, so no pics yet. My birthday is tomorrow so she told me what I am getting. There is a dirty bird 1.5 in the works with my name on it!

I am very excited considering I have been looking at getting a scuttle for the last 6 months and could not decide which one to get. I believe it is the red and spice with swirls. I am looking forward to trying it out and will report back when I do. I am very lucky to have such an awesome wife that understands and supports my hobby. I guess it helps that she is a convert leg shaver and will get to enjoy some warm lather as well.

I'm pumped. So SWMBO in this scenario is my sister. She's quite supportive. But a scuttle? Above and beyond. How cool.

Pics or it didn't happen! I'll stay tuned.

I got an update on my scuttle, found the paypal order that listed exactly what it is. I'll be getting an original dirty bird with the webbed ridges in red/gold spice rim. I also decided to try a homemade scuttle this morning by leaving the lather bowl in the sink with the warm water. By the second pass, the lather was warmed just a bit and it felt great! I have a feeling I am in for a real treat when I get my scuttle.

You will definitely enjoy your new scuttle - congrats on the great gift! I received a G20 from SWMBO last year, and I have really enjoyed being able to have warm lather.

I've tried to bowl in warm water thing, but I just seem to get water everywhere. I was just struggling this morning with cold lather after soaking my brush in scalding hot water.

My congratulations have been revoked. Boo you and your warm lather.

I've tried to bowl in warm water thing, but I just seem to get water everywhere. I was just struggling this morning with cold lather after soaking my brush in scalding hot water.

Before today I have only had mildly warm lather when using my WD silvertip for the first pass. I had to drain most of the water from the sink until i had enough of a level spot to put the bowl. Also had to be very careful rinsing the razor so I didn't splash water in the lather bowl. You could try a larger bowl with the water beside the sink and the lather bowl inside that, may be less messy.

How thoughtful of the Mrs. Enjoy your birthday gift.
The family that scuttles together... uh, that doesn't work.
I hope both of you enjoy the scuttle. It's nice to be with
a lady who understands and supports your interests.

It arrived last night and I had to do a test later, it was slightly warm after letting it sit for a few minutes. I an only using hot tap water which is not to hot to run your hands through since I have a daughter going on 2. Used it again this morning with mudder focker, was thinking that would be a good scent to have warm. Maybe I'm not noticing the temp difference as much since it is hot now. I'm sure it will seem warmer when it is cold out. The webbing really helped whipping the lather, before this I had only used smooth bowls or face lathered.

The quality is outstanding and it looks really nice in my shave den. It is pictured with my other birthday present (to myself) the Weber razor. I am very lucky to have a wife that understands this obsession of mine
$uploadfromtaptalk1406466458131.jpg

That's a wonderful looking scuttle. You'll really come to appreciate in the cold weather months, when you can have a ready supply of warm lather.

IMO, you should notice a temperature difference in the lather. I certainly understand the desire to not boost the water heater temperature with young children in the house. Perhaps you can experiment a bit.

I am always up earlier than my wife, and sometimes before the thermostat has really boosted the heat. The scuttle is perfect to keep your lather nice and warm on cool mornings.

A word of caution, they can get slippery when you have wet hands with some lather on them. So always be careful handling them, always handling them using the handle. Some of the saddest posts on B&B are broken scuttle and mug threads.

In any event, Happy Birthday, and congratulations on receiving a fine scuttle.

I got two deliveries today and I didn't shave this morning so it was a shave evening. Got to use the scuttle again and it worked really well
$uploadfromtaptalk1406769425044.jpg$uploadfromtaptalk1406769443474.jpg

I wanted to try out more than 1 soap so I lathered up the lime to use as a preshave. It was a little airy (similar to other scents) and I'm now wondering if my favorite brand has some issues with heat. I do love the lime scent and think it will go great with captains choice bay rum aftershave

After that I whipped up some tiki spiced islands and refilled the scuttle with hot water. I had no issues at all with lathering. This is the first time I have used tiki and it instantly exploded into slick and creamy lather. I like the scent but mostly detect cilantro with a hint of pepper and mango. After the first pass I noticed it has warmed nicely in the scuttle but the third pass was almost back to room temp. I will have to try it someday with heated water to see the difference in temp.

Get yourself and electric kettle. Pour that stuff down in there and see what happens. Make sure you're wearing britches before you pour, lest you spill.

:behead:

Top Bottom