What's new

Puck first timer

So I was going to but a soap puck today but then realized.... How do I use it? Seems like a crazy question, I know. But am I correct in assuming: I would put the puck in my mug and then just leave it in there and lather up until it's gone? Or snap a piece off and put it in my mug?? I'm a newbie... Clearly lol. Thanks!

Place entire puck in mug. You can lather on the puck or in a separate bowl. Barely cover the puck with water while you shower or prep. Wet your brush thoroughly.

If lathering on the puck. pour off the excess water and lather away. If lathering in a bowl, pour a little of the soapy water into the bowl, drain the rest, load your brush on the puck, then move to the bowl to lather.

Good luck and enjoy.

Just leave the soap in your puck. Splash a few drops of water on the puck while you shower. Start off whipping/stirring/an add few drops of water until the lather starts to explode.

Place entire puck in mug. You can lather on the puck or in a separate bowl. Barely cover the puck with water while you shower or prep. Wet your brush thoroughly.

If lathering on the puck. pour off the excess water and lather away. If lathering in a bowl, pour a little of the soapy water into the bowl, drain the rest, load your brush on the puck, then move to the bowl to lather.

Good luck and enjoy.

Depending on your brush, the tenderness of your skin, and your technique, face lathering fits in above in between loading and working up the lather. It's what I always have done with lathering creams, at least once I had a brush to use (in between lathering in my palms with bar soap, and putting a puck of shave soap in a large coffee mug, I made lather on my face with shave cream, massaging the product on my cheeks, neck, and chin, until it began breaking into a lather).

Depending on your brush, the tenderness of your skin, and your technique, face lathering fits in above in between loading and working up the lather. It's what I always have done with lathering creams, at least once I had a brush to use (in between lathering in my palms with bar soap, and putting a puck of shave soap in a large coffee mug, I made lather on my face with shave cream, massaging the product on my cheeks, neck, and chin, until it began breaking into a lather).
+1

So I've gotten slightly confused now. If I decide to lather in the bowl (not on my face), can I leave the puck in the bowl while I lather? Then I just rinse the puck and bowl when I'm done?

So I've gotten slightly confused now. If I decide to lather in the bowl (not on my face), can I leave the puck in the bowl while I lather? Then I just rinse the puck and bowl when I'm done?

You can leave the soap in your lathering bowl if you want. I use a separate bowl for lathering and storing the puck.

I don't bowl lather, so can't help there. But FYI you don't necessarily need to soak the puck or place water on it beforehand. You can if it works best for you. However, I use a hard soap and a soft badger brush and I just wet the brush and go. Just experiment. There is no right way or wrong way.

Bowl lathering guy here:

(1) Place soap puck in storage container (mug etc.). This is your soap puck's new home.
(2) Soak brush with warm water in bowl while I shower.
(3) Empty bowl of warm water, shake excess water from brush.
(4) Take brush, 'load' (swirl) brush round & round your soap puck, ~ 30 sec. should do it.
(5) Take 'loaded' brush to bowl, whip up lather, add drops of warm water to bowl as you create lather.
(6) Apply to face
(7) Shave like a champion.

Hey, fellow soap user here. If you have a tupperware bowl or other container you want to store it in, that's fine. If you want to press it into a bowl and lather on top of it, that's fine too. You load your brush on a soap similarly to a cream, just longer and harder, if that makes sense. There are some who think that building your lather right on top of the puck of soap wears it down faster, and others who angrily and viciously deny the accusation. Personally I have no opinion, since I build my lather in a separate bowl if I don't face-lather.

For how to use it, Marco's Method http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/199887-My-lathering-technique-with-Italian-soft-soaps has quickly become the de-facto way to do it. This also works very well for bowl-lathering. Be careful, though, because you will end up with A LOT of slick, creamy lather!

Top Bottom