What's new

Why am I just finding out about shavettes?!

So I've been wanting to dip into the straight razor realm, but I'm not really looking at buying one right now. I was messing around on the internet today (maggards razors) and seen the shavettes and decided to look at them and noticed they were straight razors with disposable blades like safety razors.

Amazing! I think I will be getting one soon!

Can anyone recommend a brand and also give me info about the blades and how they work? I'm just so curious now!

I have the Parker SR1. I got it for Xmas from the Ex. :lol: It uses DE blades snapped in half or you can buy blades such as Derby's ready to go already. I use Astra SP blades in mine and it's good. I was interested in straights, loved the way they looked and the idea of using one. For under $25 it was a good deal and provides good shaves. Just remember to use the correct angle and short strokes and you'll be fine.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 378
Dovo's are solid and carried by most on line shave shops. I started out with a Wilkinson Sword years ago but can't find them any longer. Enjoy!

I can't believe I have not noticed these until today! I was just so turned off from straight razor shaving with all the work involved in the maintenance on them, but loved the looks of them. I may have to order one soon. Maggards has what appears to be a nice selection of them and that gives me a reason to order their soap also

Check out the Parker line. They're not expensive, well made, and will use any DE blade snapped in half. I have 4 Parkers, and all are well made straights.

There are many shavettes like the Parker, which use 1/2 DE blades. I have several. My favorite is the Cool Cut4, which to me feels like a much sturdier, better overall quality product.

$2013-12-21-1.jpg

Another good choice is the Hess Ezy Shave, which takes the Personna-style hair shaper blades. This single-edge blade is much stiffer and a bit longer than a DE. In my opinion, the Hess's size and shape more closely resembles shaving with a traditional straight razor. You need to watch out for the corners of those blades - they are very sharp, and they bite!

$2014-01-08-1.jpg

Most shavettes are fairly inexpensive. At the high-end of the scale, however, is the Feather Artist Club. It's really in a class by itself, probably three times the price of the Parker. Calling it a "shavette" seriously understates the precision and quality of the product. It takes Feather blades only, which resemble injector razor blades. It would be hard to find any razor that can give you a closer shave. I'd recommend this razor only for very experienced and confident users - Feather blades are VERY SHARP, and not forgiving if you are faint of heart, or shaky of hand.

$2014-01-15-1.jpg

The feather artist club is the way to go, I have the kamisori style SS and it is by far and away the best of the best of my shavettes. I would love to upgrade to the DX. I have a Weck hair shaper too and find that it's a bit harder to shave with. The half DE blade shavettes are a little tricky as well since the blades are smaller and the edges can be harsh. Check out the SABRE thread linked above for more info than you can read in a week.

I have a feather artist club dx in teak. Gives a dam fine comfortable shave once you gotten used it after 25 or so shaves. I have used feather super blades as well as Kai pinks. The Kai's are a hair less sharp, but more smoother. In addition the blades are slightly wider, making for more traditional shaving angle.

Last edited:
I purchased a Feather Artist Club with teak handle from the Italian Barber about three years ago.I've been using it every weekend since.

My plan was to develop the skill/muscle memory for straight razor shaving.

The Feather AC is outstanding. So much so that I have yet to transition to straight razors as planned. I've been looking at top of the line straights for several years, but fear screwing up a fine blade with improper stropping/honing. The Feather AC is foolproof(as this fool can attest), one just replaces the blade every ten or so shaves.

I covet a Maestro Livi damascus straight and several other high- end blades, but I would hate to damage a work of art while learning honing and stropping; ergo, the Feather AC continues to be my weekend shaver.

I almost dropped some serious coin on some quality stones.
Today, those water stones would cost me three times as much ....

Last edited:
If you're looking to simulate straight shaving a longer blade is the way to go, I.e., hair shaper blade, feather AC, etc. Extremely sharp cutting tools, but still quite a different feel than a straight, especially honed on natural stones.

I've never been tempted by a regular straight razor because I have no desire to hone and strop a blade. Shavettes fascinate me, so I picked up a Feather RG folding on the B/S/T a few years ago. It gave me an amazing shave, but I just didn't have time back then to really master the technique. I also found that the scales kept getting in my way. I'm going to try a non-folding version and see how that works out now that I have the time and the desire.

Last edited:
Another good choice is the Hess Ezy Shave, which takes the Personna-style hair shaper blades. This single-edge blade is much stiffer and a bit longer than a DE. In my opinion, the Hess's size and shape more closely resembles shaving with a traditional straight razor. You need to watch out for the corners of those blades - they are very sharp, and they bite!

View attachment 473725

That's a sweet looking razor. I don't expect they get much respect in the shaving world, but I like the look of the hair-shaper shavettes.

Top Bottom