What's new

Hiking in the Southwest

+1 To all the New Mexico love.

I spent 3 days in Santa Fe and loved it. Spent another 4 or 5 days in ABQ, which was ok, but not as cool as Santa Fe. The area around Santa Fe has so much to do, outdoors-wise.

If you do go to Santa Fe you HAVE to go about an hour north to a place called Ghost Ranch. It's just outside of a town called Abiquiu. Georgia O'Keefe spent a lot of time at Ghost Ranch and a lot of her paintings reflect the landscape there. It's just hard to overstate how beautiful that place is. I love it.

I'll be near Sante Fe in October. I'll be in the Pecos hiking from Jacks Creek to East Pecos Baldy. I'm hoping my timing is correct for the changing of the aspens.

Tent rocks is an easy day hike just north of Santa fe (no dogs allowed). Not a difficult or high elevation hike, but neat sandstone formations, worth the trip if you have the time

I've researched the Tent Rocks area and it is definitely a place the looks worthy of exploring. I have unfinished business with Pecos Baldy because the last time I tried to summit, I had to abort due to extremely high winds. I made it to Pecos Baldy Lake and turned back.

Make sure to take pictures, we've camped at jack' Creek a few times and I really want to do the lake and summit, but kids are far to young at this point.

Make sure to take pictures, we've camped at jack' Creek a few times and I really want to do the lake and summit, but kids are far to young at this point.

Here's a few from the last trip:

$20121007_155854.jpg
Jack's Creek CG

$20121008_134901.jpg
Pecos Baldy Peak and Lake

$20121008_103918.jpg
Aspens changing colors

Last edited:
you must try the sho lo and snowflake areas of eastern arizona .completely awsome

Was there to climb Humphreys, which I did, and going back next year for GC rim to rim hike. Don't know if I'll make it to AZ much after the GC trip but I'll do some research.

If you want a spectacularly unique hike head for the Zion Narrows. Beautiful slot canyon hike through water.

$ZionNarrowsWeb.jpg

Last edited:
Zion is a pretty place, but it can get hot in the summer because you are down in the canyons. During the hot months, I prefer Bryce, where you are up atop the mesas.

Zion is a pretty place, but it can get hot in the summer because you are down in the canyons. During the hot months, I prefer Bryce, where you are up atop the mesas.

It was hot when I went in most of the park. But that particular hike was nice and cool, even chilly at times. It's shaded through most of the hike and the cool river keeps it regulated even further.

I with you on Bryce, though. Beautiful place. Did you do the Navajo/Queens Garden Trail? Lots of awesome packed into three miles there.

$NavajoQueens2Web.jpg$NavajoQueensWeb.jpg

Top Bottom