What's new

Does puck lathering lead to inefficient use of soap?

In the grand scheme of things soap is cheap. Lather heavy on the brush and take it to your face or bowl. More product equates to a better shaving experience.

Hmmm. Use it faster?

Most soaps have a modest price. Whether one gets 34 shaves or 43 shaves per puck is of little significance. Besides, faster use means more opportunity to try something else!
Most shave soaps have relatively economical lifetimes, no matter how one chooses to get the product working on their faces. Lately, I create most of my later right on my face. In the dark ages, I never thought of doing that, and lathered in my mugs atop my soap pucks. The only things I lathered on my face in those days were creams. I never had a separate lathering bowl until I saw a sterling silver one and went looking for a replica, because it was just so nice looking!

Of course, back when I started actually using a brush, soap, and mug, all those years ago, I also never thought to look for a fresh puck of soap anywhere but my neighborhood pharmacy, and just bought whatever they had, typically no real choices. I doubt that back then I was paying as much as a dollar for the pucks (late 1960s / early 1970s), and still have never paid a LOT for a soap. Cella was the most expensive these days, I believe.

Because I like to? [...] And because I want to.

SOLD!

Nothing else necessary. It's your soap. My soap is my soap, and if I want to grate it and fling it in my rose beds who's to tell me no. Might not help the roses much. But they're my roses, too.

Last edited:
I prefer to bowl lather. I just like to build lather in a seperate bowl and watch it grow. But I'm not stingy with the puck. I use what I need, and don't worry about it.
To the OP, I bowl lather Stirling, and it works just fine.
Find the method YOU like, the one that YOU do well and get YOUR best lather from, and don't worry about how long the puck will last.

How was your lather using VDH like a shave stick? Have you tried it with VDH Luxury?
It was great. I haven't used a bowl for anything except soaking my brush since. All of my soaps are either sticks or pucks being used as sticks. $DSCN0684.jpg

One of the biggest mistakes I have made when I started out wet shaving was to be to frugal with my soaps.........you well get a much better and more satisfying shave if your not worried about it. Pile it on brother........

+1, I did the same thing starting out. Once I started to use more soap my lathers improved tremendously. Soaps are cheap and the whole point of this is to enjoy yourself.

I don't really think about it...I lather on the puck and I use what I use until the soap is gone. Actually I think bowl lathering would cause you to use more product because visually you want to put enough soap in that bowl (fill it up)...but when you lather on the puck it's like just taking what you need...at least it seems that way now that I think about it. lol thinking about this makes my head hurt...lol

i been taking my puck and applying it to my face just like i do with a shave stick. it works pretty well, but my puck is not that big. its actually faster then a shave stick for that reason then i face lather with a brush.

Never thought about it. I have lathered on the puck, in a scuttle, or my face.

It just depends on what I feel like doing that day, and how deep is the container the puck is in.

Hmmm. Use it faster?

Most soaps have a modest price. Whether one gets 34 shaves or 43 shaves per puck is of little significance. Besides, faster use means more opportunity to try something else!

Winner. If it leads to a better lather / more enjoyable experience who cares. Lather that sucker up slap in on and enjoy the frothy goodness!!

I kind of Hybrid Puck Lather/Face Lather. The more soap on my brush the better in my opinion. Plus I got years worth of soap.

Top Bottom