What's new

BBW as a one-hone?

I've glassed a razor and taken it to shaving on a BBW. Not too long of a process. I just did a dilucot type method, and it worked well. I got best results finishing using oil. It was definitely daily shavable. The edge was not as sharp as a coti edge I once had. That could be my lack of experience with the stone, it could be the stone, it could be something else.

Yes, you can use a BBW as an only stone. I would encourage you to try a few different stones and see what you like, then you can settle on whatever you want.

OT:

Papa, I've glassed a razor and taken it back to shaving with a leather strop. My conclusion was that one or two no-pressure passes on the lip to dull things was just deforming the edge. Never tried it again afterwards.

Last edited:
OT:

Papa, I've glassed a razor and taken it back to shaving with a leather strop. My conclusion was that one or two no-pressure passes on the lip to dull things was just deforming the edge. Never tried it again afterwards.

Fair point. I should have said that I glasses it because I had previously honed that razor with tape and I wanted to know when I was cutting a new edge.

Any ways short answer is to where you said only hone for life is, yes. You could go from bevel set to shave ready on the finest and slowest of hones as long as you are patient.

I appreciate the response.

I've learnt site has an open appreciation of value (Gold Dollars, film honing, etc...) and there are some who just want to have the feel of a rock in their hand while honing.

I know, at the root of the answers I've seen, most people are not using a BBW and many don't touch their BBW after purchasing something faster. I was simply curious after reading the article over and over and I was looking to see if others have picked up and tried it. The pricepoint does point to a "reasonable" cost but, as another user mentioned that the optimal stone for a new users would be one to sharpen in the least amount of strokes.

I've got no vested interest in one stone vs. another debates (or arguments); I own none suitable for razor sharpening. I think we're all just looking for something that works for us.

I would say if you are a beginner honer, not shaver, and have no need of bevel reseting you can go either the 4/8 norton way that many start with. You can get a shave ready edge off of that no matter what anyone says. Some people say that it is too rough and I have two conclusions for that. 1) Your not doing it right, or 2) your face has gotten to used to the edges coming from better stones and thus left you with "nancy-fied" skin sensitivity. Or you can do what I did and ignore every one and get a coticule. Its the true one stone hone solution to me as long as you don't need to reseat bevels, or at least quickly. I used just a coticule w/slurry stone. and some sand paper to lap for quite a while before I got another stone. Didn't need anything else and still don't and the only reason why I have other stones is because I like to experiment with different edges. If I were doing this as a cost effective way of shaving or a minalist way then it would be coti all the way. Just get a thick one that is hard and fine and a slurry stone and your good to go. I was going to say if your not a beginner you can also get a shobudani 100 for a decent price (i think 60ish last time I checked) but I wouldn't suggest that as a first hone much less first natural.

Just curious what the point of BBW for one stone method. A Yellow Coticle is ideal for this purpose. Faster with mud (higher and finer garnet content) and a better finisher on water. I have set a bevel on 7x2 Coticle and it was great. Finished on light slurry to HHT. Nice shave very smooth.

Just curious what the point of BBW for one stone method. A Yellow Coticle is ideal for this purpose. Faster with mud (higher and finer garnet content) and a better finisher on water. I have set a bevel on 7x2 Coticle and it was great. Finished on light slurry to HHT. Nice shave very smooth.
It's cheap?

I think many things we do is to see if it can be done. Theres alot of experimenting going on. We dont need as many stones as many of us have, but its a hobby. Ive never tried it, but may just out of curiosity.

SpikedLemon, I did not get the impression from your post that you are an experienced honer experimenting. It seemed to me that you are looking for a recommendation for one hone stone. If so then my recommendation would be to choose a standard Coticule. If I am wrong, enjoy the journey and I look forward to your result posts. Also if you are searching for a one hone stone that can set bevel and finish with the best, consider a Shuobudani type 100 with Asano Nagura set. Depending on the Coticule the Jnat might be more money.

SpikedLemon, I did not get the impression from your post that you are an experienced honer experimenting. It seemed to me that you are looking for a recommendation for one hone stone. If so then my recommendation would be to choose a standard Coticule. If I am wrong, enjoy the journey and I look forward to your result posts. Also if you are searching for a one hone stone that can set bevel and finish with the best, consider a Shuobudani type 100 with Asano Nagura set. Depending on the Coticule the Jnat might be more money.

Enabling at its finest! I like your style brother! Well at least theres no spoilage with stones! Like money in the bank they told me. Lol.

I was going to mention a shuobo 100 as well with asano nagura but that would be more than a coticule of same size I think depending on where one got one. Also it being a JNAt would have many more variables and headaches then a coticule. Of course it would definitely suffice to be the only stone one would need kinda (if you don't count nagura's haha). I myself have been looking at the shuobo's and other JNATS lately. The only reason why I really wouldn't recommend it is the learning curve seems a lot steeper than a coticule with a slurry stone.

I think that absolutely, yes, you can shave off a BBW if you know how to handle it.

That being said, I think it's cool to know it's possible, but I don't see the added value of the BBW compared to a coticule (especially a faster coticule). It contains the same cutting particles, but in lesser concentrations.

Also it being a JNAt would have many more variables and headaches then a coticule.

...the learning curve seems a lot steeper than a coticule with a slurry stone.
In my own very limited experience, I've found the opposite. My first Jnat was much easier to learn (with some help from here) than my first coticule. YMMV and all that..

In my own very limited experience, I've found the opposite. My first Jnat was much easier to learn (with some help from here) than my first coticule. YMMV and all that..

I ain't "learned" none of 'em yet. But I get closer to shaveable from the Shoubu than the Ozuku or any of the cotis or bbws that I have.

I use a BBW myself. For some reason I cannot get an edge from my Naniwa 3/8k Combo. I'm sure this isn't the best solution but needs to do until I can afford to experiment with other hones.

A little from column B and a dose of starting a conversation to see where it goes. That's the second time someone's mentioned that stone to me... I'll have to read up on it more.

Anyone still experimenting with BBW? My latest edge finished with BBW shaved well, but i probably should have reread sone of those prev links. edge was okay, but a bit underwhelming.

Top Bottom