What's new

Black No-Show Socks - Brands that last

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I'm a black no-show sock wearing fool. I don't own any white socks, strictly black no show. Well I do have dress socks of course.
But I'm talking about black no-show socks.

I wear them with shorts, with jeans, and sometimes with dress pants on hot days for work. Athletic shoes, work shoes, sometimes even boots.

I typically buy the 12pk of Hanes or Fruit of the Loom but they sure don't last. In no time at all the fabric wears down, becomes thin - to the point that I can almost see my foot through them, and then inevitably a hole develops either on the tip of the big toe or on the ball of my foot. At which point I trash them. Can't stand wearing socks with holes.

So I'm down to about 6 pair right now and I need to restock the dresser drawer.
Here's what I'm looking for

• Color: Black. I'd also do a dark Grey
  • Style: no-show. I think they call them athletic no-show. The kind that sit low on your ankle, below the shoe.
  • Features: I'd like them to be comfy obviously. Anything that is breathable and cuts down on sweat would be nice too.
  • Price: I'm willing to pay a little more if they are long lasting and comfortable. I'm not willing to pay a high price just for a name. I don't care about logos.
  • Quantity: at least 12. I realize that most "better socks" are sold in 3pks, which is fine.

So what suggestions have you got!?

Thank you!

I purchased some black Merino wool "no show" socks for cycling and other sports activities. The brand is Lorpen and I bought them from backcountry.com on sale. I don't remember the price, but they were reasonable. They're very comfortable and wear like iron. I don't see the exact sock on their web site anymore, but that may give you something to go on.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
So I should be looking for wool?

they have a Smartwool on that website.

This is really all I wear during the summer. I've had tons of different brands but my favorite so far has been under-armour charged cotton ones. Comfortable and seem to last longer than the other brands Ive bought.

So I'm looking through the threads using Tapatalk and realize this threads last response was on 12/31/1969??? Rather odd.

I digress...interested in these same style socks but if anyone can direct me to size 16s I'd be grateful.

Was interested to learn what "no show" socks are called; never knew the name before. Was wondering what the attraction is with them? Honestly, I have never considered wearing them. I am a no-sock (with my flip-flops) or at least ankle length kind of guy.

Was interested to learn what "no show" socks are called; never knew the name before. Was wondering what the attraction is with them? Honestly, I have never considered wearing them. I am a no-sock (with my flip-flops) or at least ankle length kind of guy.

Its a style with younger people. I personally like the no sock look. I always get black because they dont show dirt as much.

If they are no-show socks, does it matter what color they are? ....I am mostly trying to give you a fun jab so no need to answer the question, but I did find it interesting why the color would matter very much, since white socks might otherwise be easier to keep clean (allowing a hot water wash and occasionally including some chlorine bleach).

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
When wearing shorts I don't like my socks to show above my shoes. I guess it's just a style as mentioned.

And black because they go with anything. I sometimes wear them with my dress pants for work which are black and I wouldn't wear white socks with black pants. Yes, even though they are no show they do sometimes show. Especially after a month or so when they get broken in.

So it's just to keep it simple for me. This way I don't have several different kinds of socks.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I'm thinking bout going with the Underarmour. I know it's a good brand and I like they style of socks they have.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I picked up the brand Gold Toe while at JCPenney.

Easily worlds better than the Hanes or or inexpensive brands I used to wear. You can't feel the seems at all while they are on your feet and in your shoes. They are also really comfortable, lots of cushion. I never knew how important socks were to being comfortable in your shoes. I can tell a big difference when I wear these Gold Toes vs. the thin wore out brand I used to have.

I bought two packs. After the first day of wearing the new socks I threw all my old ones away.

I like the Eddie Bauer 1/4 trail socks. They have a nice cushion sole and seem to last well. I only were them with hiking boots and shorts but they are a good sock.

Top Bottom