What's new

I think I scored up in Oregon.

I went to a family reunion up in Hillsborro, OR. So while there I decided to check an antique shop(my first time hunting in the wild). Low and behold the first place I check has about 6. Most were average, but there was a giant 8/8 chopper that is super hollow ground(no flex so nice hard steel too). Then there was a 7/8 Wade & Butcher with a beautiful ship etched on the front. The stamp dates it to 1830-1837, and it has all original scales. I also picked up a coffin double box and some other boxes for .50c each. The pair of razors I tried to talk them down but only managed to get them to 75$ for the pair. I still think I did alright. Oh yeah, there was a neat handmade shave bowl too I snagged for 2$. Works great, no lather creep since its ribbed.

Now the pictures! In as found condition.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Looks like on the 8/8 the tang stamp was purposefully ground off... I've run into this twice... I wonder why this happened

The blank tang left me scratching my head personally. I couldn't tell if it was some weird custom/semi custom or if it was ground by someone. The scales aren't original either, the bottom heel of the blade sticks out the back. There is also a large gap before the wedge.

It needs repinned and a fitting set of scales. I'm not set up for that yet though.

The huge one honed up like a dream, didn't even need touching up. I was a little intimidated as it is the largest blade i've used, but it was one of my best shaves.

The ancient wade and butcher was a bit tough to hone, but with 2 layers of tape I made it work. Only the front 3/4 are fully shave ready and the very tip of the toe isn't quite there but overall it is a good shaver, sharp everywhere it needs to be.

I just wish I could figure out a ballpark value on the w&b, I haven't even been able to find any this old for sale on ebay or anywhere else in my limited search.

Top Bottom