What's new

Gillette Fatboy Cleanup|Before and after w/commentary

She's all repaired, cleaned, polished, and painted:cool: ready to go back together:
$uploadfromtaptalk1408496790222.jpg$uploadfromtaptalk1408496798782.jpg

Oh my goodness Captain. This looks like it just came out of the drug store new. These razors hold a special place in my heart. As a kid i watched my dad shave with a razor very much like this. He worked nights and often times it was the only time in the week i would get to see him. I learned a lot sitting on the edge of the bathtub watching him shave. Since i have started wet shaving i can see why he never switched to the "modern" shaving methods. Captain, it has been an honor watching you restore a part of my childhood. My father would be proud to shave with one of your pieces of reclaimed art. You sir, are a gentleman.

Oh my goodness Captain. This looks like it just came out of the drug store new. These razors hold a special place in my heart. As a kid i watched my dad shave with a razor very much like this. He worked nights and often times it was the only time in the week i would get to see him. I learned a lot sitting on the edge of the bathtub watching him shave. Since i have started wet shaving i can see why he never switched to the "modern" shaving methods. Captain, it has been an honor watching you restore a part of my childhood. My father would be proud to shave with one of your pieces of reclaimed art. You sir, are a gentleman.

I am glad you are pleased with my work, Sir. I assure you that my lousy photos hardly reveal the beauty that is present with this razor. I cannot tell you how much I enjoy hearing stories like these. It warms my heart to know what genuine people are out there[emoji3]

Next in line is DaltonGang. He has sent me two Fatboys for some handiwork. One is an E2 in good condition. The other is a G3 in rough shape. The E2 has a dented middle barrel section(handle) and the G3 has a damaged retainer cap, a scratched up TTO knob, a broken door stud, and some plating loss. Although, the middle barrel section on the G3 is perfectly fine.

He has asked me to take the good parts from the G3 and install on the E2 in order to make a fully operational Fatboy. Here are the photos of the razors as they were sent to me:
$uploadfromtaptalk1408549492921.jpg$uploadfromtaptalk1408549504991.jpg$uploadfromtaptalk1408550110213.jpg$uploadfromtaptalk1408550121823.jpg$uploadfromtaptalk1408550135316.jpg

And after a thorough cleaning:
$uploadfromtaptalk1408562188796.jpg$uploadfromtaptalk1408562195683.jpg$uploadfromtaptalk1408562202084.jpg
The safety bar on the G3 is all bent and loose around the post. And the plating loss is significant. The E2 is going to shine up nicely however[emoji106]

That's interesting. making one razor out of two. However one has the nickle plated Collet and the other has the regular type. I suppose the middle barrel would not be interchangeable without changing the collet too. I noticed the cooler nickle plated one has the barrel with the vise grip marks on it.

(the postman picked today to be late BTW)

Captain, first off your are a veritable boon to the shaving society. You seem to have taken many tidbits of tribal knowledge and fused them together into a comprehensive method. I applaud you and the work you have performed! :)

I do have one question. Pertaining to the brass collets that you have been repainting black, would you obtain a better / longer lasting result with a bluing compound? I know they have compounds specifically for brass. I have a few Fatboys and Slims that are in the queue for disassembly and was wondering if I should hunt up some bluing compound for myself.

That's interesting. making one razor out of two. However one has the nickle plated Collet and the other has the regular type. I suppose the middle barrel would not be interchangeable without changing the collet too. I noticed the cooler nickle plated one has the barrel with the vise grip marks on it.

(the postman picked today to be late BTW)

I am not sure if the barrel is interchangeable between the two different designs. I think the plated collet models have a slightly longer barrel. I think someone attempted to take it apart using some harsh methods:laugh:

As for your mailman...not cool at all. If he only knew what precious cargo he was carrying:blink:

Captain, first off your are a veritable boon to the shaving society. You seem to have taken many tidbits of tribal knowledge and fused them together into a comprehensive method. I applaud you and the work you have performed! :)

I do have one question. Pertaining to the brass collets that you have been repainting black, would you obtain a better / longer lasting result with a bluing compound? I know they have compounds specifically for brass. I have a few Fatboys and Slims that are in the queue for disassembly and was wondering if I should hunt up some bluing compound for myself.

Thank you for the comments, Sir[emoji2]

You know, I did consider blueing at first. It would make sense for a longer more durable finish, I think. It's just that I crank out so many of these and paint is readily available and likely cheaper to use. I vote that you try it and post the results in this thread![emoji106]

Having said that, when/if members start requesting that I blue the collets over painting them, I'll be happy to adjust:cool:...I've also thought about just polishing the brass on the collet and leaving it. I've never done it and no one has made such a request so...

I accept the assignment! Give me a bit and I should have results and some pics. I have a few possible canidates standing by and a few more on the way. No one nearby carries bluing compound, but Walmart will let you order it online and ship it to the store without having to pay the Hazmat fees.

It's odd. I prefer to shave with straights, but I really like the mechanical nature of the adjustables. (Maybe being an ex-navy MM factors in there somehow :) )

I accept the assignment! Give me a bit and I should have results and some pics. I have a few possible canidates standing by and a few more on the way. No one nearby carries bluing compound, but Walmart will let you order it online and ship it to the store without having to pay the Hazmat fees.

It's odd. I prefer to shave with straights, but I really like the mechanical nature of the adjustables. (Maybe being an ex-navy MM factors in there somehow :)

Hmm, I wonder if you could paint them the same red as the spring for a custom look

Aye, Sir! I cannot wait to see the results! I bought a reblueing kit awhile back but it just ended up being very messy. I'd have to practice:blush:

I would definitely agree with your past experiences as a machinist's mate contributing to your enjoyment of the adjustable's construction:cool:

As far as the custom colors, yes it could be painted red like the indicator spring. I actually had Chris @razorplate.com do custom colors on a Fatboy he replated for me (Navy blue and gold) Hooyah. I've been wanting to do custom colours for some of our members but no one has made a request.

Top Bottom