What's new

Gillette Fatboy Cleanup|Before and after w/commentary

Chris - I am very impressed - Black Rhodium!

Hmmm - I will have to send you a razor later this year - 2 tone silver/black rhodium - YUM!

I better start looking for a bottle of perfume SWMBO doesn't have yet, to barter with...:lol:

I don't know anyone doing black nickel or I would be happy to refer you to them. My plating-supplies vendor has dropped black nickel materials from his inventory. He says "too many issues". I never used it so I don't have any specific reason as to exactly what the issues were.

I do, however, have a source for BLACK RHODIUM :drool:and my lab is now set up to offer that plating option if anyone ever has interest in it. All I would need to do is order the (insanely expensive!) supplies, but it would be doable if enough customers were interested in that finish. Imagine the hardness, brilliance and reflectivity of traditional rhodium - with a dark grayish-black tint to all of that rhodium-bling. Sort of like black nickel or black chrome......on steroids!

Plating each piece individually would be the ideal approach and would negate the shortcomings associated with "masking techniques" that would be required if trying to pull off such exotica on an assembled razor.
$uploadfromtaptalk1405745197466.jpg

Chris is watching!

Now that is squeaky clean!!! Very nice shine coming straight out of the US bath.

I imagine you must put on sunglasses when you polish them up - that one looks like it has the potential to be blindingly shiny!

*UPDATE*

After polishing, I have moved onto repainting the accents of the razor. This includes the black ring at the top of the middle barrel section, the adjustment dial numbers and dots, and the indicator spring. Here's the result:

$uploadfromtaptalk1405803983200.jpg$uploadfromtaptalk1405803990759.jpg

Wow! That looks great! Would you have time to do mine like that? Great job! Also send me your pp address so I can tip you :)

Your doing some great work here Captain Murphy! I have a Fatboy I picked up in a trade, and for some reason when you twist it close there is not a final solid 1/4 turn to lock everything into place. I suppose it could be from over clocking like you talked about in post #12, or its just really full of calcium/gunk.

In any event, would you be willing to check it out for me?

Your doing some great work here Captain Murphy! I have a Fatboy I picked up in a trade, and for some reason when you twist it close there is not a final solid 1/4 turn to lock everything into place. I suppose it could be from over clocking like you talked about in post #12, or its just really full of calcium/gunk.

In any event, would you be willing to check it out for me?
Thank you for the kind words, sir. One of the things I've noticed before with these Fatboys is that when they don't have that last quarter turn, it's because at some point the adjuster was tampered with.

Having said that, the grime on the inside of the TTO knob can be detrimental to the normal functions of the razor. There's a little threaded piece that travels up and down the inside of the TTO knob. It is very possible that it can't make it's full range of intended movement, due to the filth.

I would love to check it out. Do you have any pictures of it? Also, does it have a slotted retainer cap in the TTO knob?

Last edited:
Nice paint job Captain. Did you use a fine art brush for it, or something like a sightly flared toothpick?

Also, is that normal paint or something special?

Top Bottom