What's new

What do you find to be overrated? Underrated?

I agree that over/under rated is more a matter of YMMV.....that being said.....for me Cella has been a huge let down...and low cost boar brushes are a main stay in my rotation

Overrated: Stirling Soaps: Had 4 samples of this stuff and none of them could build a lather worth a d**m

Underrated: Injectors: Can get a quick quality shave out of them every time.

I don't understand why everyone disses Gillette adjustables. I use a Fatboy, got it for less than $30 in very good condition from Ebay. It's a great razor. There's something to be said for a well-made tool.

Overrated: Feather blades. They're good, but they're expensive and don't last long.

Underrated: Red IPs. These were a big deal when I started wetshaving five years ago, but I hardly see them talked about anymore. I still have not found a blade I like better.

Completely lives up to the hype: RazoRock soaps.

Tough to play at this, honestly. I love my Fatboy, use it every shave, but I dunno if it's over- or under-rated. There is a progression from "Yeah, that's great" down to "Ugh, that stinks" in almost all the shaving stuff I use. The more I learn about shaving, the more I realize how little I know. So any rating I do will have to be accompanied by the phrase, "In my opinion."

Overrated: Feather blades. Didn't live up to the hype.
Underrated: the Progress. Not the Mergress (which I have) or the Digress (which I don't). I think it's one heck of a razor. Too bad it's zamak, so it'll only be a fling, and not a marriage.

Overrated: Gillette Techs... A lot of hype, but I prefer an adjustable. Whatever works for you though.

Underrated: GEM Micromatic (Bullet Tip/ Flying Wing) Excellent razors once you solidify your technique.

...Underrated - (ready for the replies...) The reformulated Old Spice Aftershave is a bit different but it is still a fine aftershave. My wife loves it and I still find it rekindles memories of my Dad. TGEFM

Aaah! Old Spice Aftershave is one of the significant memories. I smelt it from my infancy. The only aftershave my dad used. He introduced me to DE shaving in the late 70s, and i have only just returned to it recently. Unfortunately, i cannot use regular aftershave due to razor-bump issues, but i have the made-in-India P&G Cologne which is a favourite of ine.

Being new to DE shaving am not qualified to pass under/over-rated judgements yet, IMO, but i currently favour boar brushes over the softer badgers.

Overrated: Feathers. Yes, they're good blades, and sharp. But they are not the magical edge of Excalibur.

Underrated: Kent Infinity Silvertex. A wonderfully scrubby little synth brush with soft tips. Every time I mention the Kent, the Plisson Cade fans pop up to tell me what I'm missing. But for $20, there is no better value than the Kent Infinity, and I'm very satisfied with mine.

Okay so this is how what I see overrated/underrated in American society.

Overrated: Multiblade carts, canned goo
Underrated: Safety razors, straight razors, good soaps and creams, good lotions for men... etc.

Top Bottom