What's new

What is your favorite lens for SOTD and Everyday?

Hey folks,

I am camera tech nerd. I love researching gear, especially lenses, on a regular basis.

My question for you today is:

1) What is your favorite lens for taking SOTD-type shots? (Please include if you're shooting with a full frame or crop sensor camera)

2) Also, what is your favorite lens for everyday shooting?

For me, my favorites are:

1) SOTD: Nikon 60mm 2.8D macro lens on my D7000 (APS-C Crop sensor)

2) Everyday: Nikon 35mm 1.8G - fantastic, cheap lens. May be replaced by the 50mm 1.8G arriving today :)

Thanks guys and keep shooting!
Bryan

For me I love my Nikon 35mm 1.8 (on D5100)
I also like my Sigma 17-70mm 2.8.

I do tend to carry glass then I need to though. Along with the two above, I carry my nikon 40mm micro and my 55-200.

For me I love my Nikon 35mm 1.8 (on D5100)
I also like my Sigma 17-70mm 2.8.

I do tend to carry glass then I need to though. Along with the two above, I carry my nikon 40mm micro and my 55-200.

Very nice my man. I love my 35mm 1.8g and cannot wait to compare it to my 50mm 1.8g. It should be quite similar but with much better BOKEH :D.

How is that Sigma 17-70 2.8? Is it super heavy?

D200/50 1.8D & 70-300 aps-c
F100/50 1.8D & 70-300"full frame" :)
D80/50 1.8D aps-c
LEICA R4/Summicron 50 "full frame"
Ft/55 3.5 micro "full frame"
N65/35-80 4-5.6D "full frame" (incredible IQ for a $40 lens, almost worth having just for the price as a back up)
FM/50 1.8E "full frame"
Miranda F/50 1.9 "full frame"
Yashica GSN (fixed RF)
Minolta Hi - Matic 9 (fixed RF)
Konica C 35 (fixed scale focus)

Those are some of my every day cameras and lenses. No brand name listed means its Nikon. I use 50's quite a bit, lol. I have other lenses too...

For SOTD I would use whatever was on my camera when I pick it up, from 28 mm to 300 on a crop sensor.

-Xander

Everyday use. My Pentax 18-135 WR. WR stands for weather resistant...ie; snow, rain, etc....hold no fears. Attached to my WR Pentax K-5 body....I can be out in the middle of a storm....no issues.

I also like my 12-24 Pentax....highly rated by Popular Photography. Take a lot of vintage cars shots with it...photos almost seem 3D. Extremely sharp.

Then there are my Pentax Limited primes...21mm wide angle...40 normal....70...portrait...all pancake...all have machined aluminum bodies.

Unobtrusive...capable of wonderfully sharp photos.

Many people don't know about Pentax or the top quality of the lenses and bodies.

A fellow Pentaxian!! Love my Kx older but still great
Daily shooting usually Pentax 28-200
portrait type stuff pantax fa 50 1.7

Mmm Pentax.

I bought many items above my skill level before passing them on. They include 31, 43, 77, 40Ltd, 35Ltd, 200 2.5. My go-to lens is the 16-45mm f4.

Nikon 50mm 1.8D (the old one)
Nikon D7000 (APS-C)

Or if I'm travelling and not sure about what to do I take the Nikon 18-200

Nikon D2XS (my backup camera now)
Nikon D4

i usually use a 10-24mm for my (scant) SOTD shots, but I also like my 50mm.

My normal lens for walking around is a 70-200mm.

Last edited:
Nikon D90 - closing in on 100K shots

AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR - This is the lens that is on the camera when it is put back in the case. Its versatility earned it this position.

Nikon 35mm 1.8G - This is a favorite lens. It gets heavy use.

My big Nikon zoom lens is only used when I am stalking wildlife. I'd like to have the time and opportunities to use it more.

SOTD - I've been having a blast with the Fuji Instax Wide. I still love film and the nostalgia of an instant print format.

Everyday - I usually default to the 24-70 2.8 L on my 5DmkIII

---------------

Cliff Hotchkiss
President, Wanderlust Photo Tours
Professor of Photography, AB Tech

Lover of the finer things....

SOTD - Nikon 70-200 f2.8, VR

Everyday- 50mm f1.8 prime - I only take this lens off of the D600 for a particular shot requiring another focal length.

I use a Panasonic Lumix point and shoot but it has a Leica vario-elmar lens (nice glass).

I use natural light for all of my SOTD shots.

Shots are taken in the shave cathedral that has a vaulted ceiling with a north facing glass panel within the vault so lighting is even but a little flat.

Set up the shot on the counter, frame it, click. I rarely crop as I frame the shot as I want it.

pics of the shave cathedral showing the lighting and counter I take the shots on

proxy.php

Now when I am doing studio shots for the web I uses a Fuji S1 which has Nikon mounts and a 105 or 200 macro on a Cambo stand with Broncolor hazy and rondo lights (hard boxes) with 2 side fills. I've never taken a pic of a razor or shaving product in the studio though.

proxy.php

My current favorite is a Pentax 100mm 2.8 Macro, on a Pentax APSC body (K10D or K01). I like having both the reach and the close up capability. As someone else said, Pentax lenses are first rate.

Top Bottom