What's new

Ethnic Shaving Cream

Like most men of color, I am in always looking for products to fight razor bumps. While in the store the other day when I saw Neutrogena Skin Clearing Shaving Cream. It is supposed to help with razor bumps. Has anyone tried it?

No, and it doesn't sound like something I'd want to try.
But, what type of razor do you use ? And which shaving creams have you tried ? How do you prepare for your shave ?

Last edited:
For me, it's not so much the soap or cream (I prefer soaps), but the prep and post.
One of the few things that really works me is tendskin. I found a roll-on dispenser for it and I us it on my neck after every shave.
For prep, a good hot shower and face wash works wonders, then a few drops of pre-shave oil.
I do stay away from alcohol based post shave products. To be honest, what really I really like is the AOS balms. Works wonders on my neck.

Comes with the territory when one has coarse dark hair. I should know. Even though I always wet shaved - I never quite got rid of the bumps on my neck in 20+ yrs of shaving.

Until last year!

I discovered B&B last year - it has been 12+ months of ongoing trial and learning. With the tips you'll pick up here and improvement in your technique - a smooth shave sans bumps is possible (even without tendskin).

Of all the things I've learnt here - the top one is probably grain mapping. It's easier said than done and will take months/years of trial and error. But I have solved 95% of my 'bumps' in the last year with sustained effort. I am going to keep at it.

I am not a man of color, although I suffered from razor bumps. I drove back to my old town where I grew up (90% African American approx.) and bought a product called Bump Patrol. I have been using it for 2 weeks with great results. Not very expensive and gets great reviews. Worth a try.

I have tried Bump Patrol Bump Stopper both of which seem to be pretty good products. I really need to get on the mapping of my beard thing. Fortunately, I only have a mild case of them. I do want to eliminated them all together. Has anyone had experience with Neutrogena product?

I started this because men of color are more prone to bumps yet anyone with input is greatly appreciated. Knowledge from all is accepted. :)

The combination of using a DE, wet shaving and PFB Vanish helped me get rid of in grown hairs. Do a search for PFB vanish and try a small roll on to see if it works. I use after applying after shave.

good luck

Man of colour here. My beard is a pain to shave, it's very coarse. Like most, I suffer from razor bumps/ingrown hair around my neck/chin area. I wash my face with oatmeal soap and some Neutrogena redness soothing face wash before and after shave usually (don't know anything about this clearing shaving cream). To tell you the truth don't know if they actually do anything. I do use a product called PFB Vanish, I see keithmax uses it as well, it is like tend skin and bump patrol which works pretty well. It will significantly reduce the redness and bumps say 24-48 hours and you put it on twice day. Then again it differs for everybody, I honestly don't know the correct way to use it. I just do what usually works for me.

I just want to get rid of these razor bumps and ingrowns compltetly. I have been trying for years but no luck yet.

Good luck.

Let me throw Anthony Logistics Ingrown Hair Treatment into the mix. It is expensive but last for months and months. Works well for me. Razorock also makes a product called "Problem Solver" which is designed for ingrown hairs. Unlike the Anthony Logistics, it is inexpensive ($6.99). I have not tried it yet, but Razorock makes good stuff. My plan is to give it a go when my Anthony Logistics runs out.

Thanks guys this is great. It is nice to hear what other men of color experiences are. What other products and methods do you guys use?

I read it here on B&B, so I can't take credit, but it's worked for me. The toothbrush trick...

A couple hours after you shave, depending on how fast you grow back, rub a soft toothbrush against the grain lightly. Maybe apply a bit more ASB after toothbrush rub. I will rub my problem spots couple times a day or whenever I make it in the den. Don't brush yourself raw.

I do one pass north to south. Aftershave balm & aftershave splash. The next day I use Bliss Ingrown Hair Pads. Eliminates a lot of ingrown hairs, but I still get some at the neck line.

Top Bottom