What's new

looking for a subtle Bay Rum

The bay rum from Mystic Waters that I have is anything but subdued. Super slick, great lather and cushion but wow that's a powerful smell!

I'll have to agree Strop Shoppe Bay Rum is the mildest I've tried with L.A. Shaving Soap Co. Santa Monica Bay Rum a close second.

Conk pretty mild, Taconic will get you mild also and just a tad more sent, and lathers quite well... so, Taconic Bay Rum for me. YMMV

Ogallala bay rum with sandalwood has a woody base; I like it a lot.

Beer Soap Co's bay rum is pretty mild, with a 'beer'/hops note. Also good.

And, unless you're getting a skin reaction, don't be so concerned about shave soap scents; in majority of soaps, the scents diminish greatly toward the end of the shave.

$ogallala_bay_rum_july_15_2013.jpg

$beer bay rum soap.jpg

Is it just the strength you don't like or a particular scent? Some bay rums have a very strong clove scent, while others have a mild or no clove scent.

Pen's have a new bay rum-"inspired" shave range coming out this summer, Bayolea, which includes a shave soap.
Supposedly, not a traditional bay rum, but rather an offshoot from their earlier bay "rhum" stuff.
So, coming soon!

$bayolea.jpg

FWIW I really like the Coconut Bay from HTGAM. To me it's the perfect mild spicy bay balanced with just a hint of sweetness from the cococut and it's my #1 warm weather scent. I know some guys think the combo sounds gross but the coconut is very natural (like smelling a hunk of fresh coconut). But, as with all things, YMMV.

Dominica. With or without lime.

Scrolling down to see if anyone mentioned this one.

I don't know if there is another like Dominica because I stopped looking once I used it. It is a very simple AS with a faint scent that fades fast. It isn't pumpkin pie spicy, just the Bay tree oil in alcohol.

EDIT: This about soap?

Last edited:
I have never tried the Taconic shave soap, but I received a Taconic Bay Rum Shampoo Bar as a gift a few weeks ago that is fantastic. It is an excellent mild bay rum scent. I will be looking into their creams/soaps soon.

Top Bottom