What's new

Chalk up another one for the Post Office.

Seller sent it in the envelopes shown with no backer or padding.

$140714_0001.jpg

J R Torrey coticule/leather hone/strop.
Might be able to glue it to a more sturdy paddle and get some use from it?
Any suggestions on type of glue or procedure to use? Thinking about rubbing some slurry stones together to get dust to mix with epoxy or super glue to fill the tiny gaps where it broke.

Unless you really want it I'd send it back, and get a refund. People can be idiots when shipping stuff.

I have asked the seller about a refund.
I got it because I wanted to make a slightly wider and more useable four sided paddle strop like this one.

http://www.coticule.be/the-cafeteria/topic/583.html

Mine is in a little better shape but I don't want to mess it up too much using it.
Was figuring on gluing the coti to a different paddle anyway, but kinda wanted it to be whole.

I hauled mail for many years. Always pack and protect your packages one or two levels above what you perceive as adequately safe. Then add another level of protection. I hope it works out for you OP.

I had a seller send me a lot of stones I bought just thrown in a box. They did line the box with newspaper, not crumpled up or anything, just laying flat. I got it out of the mailbox and heard it rattling. Luckily they ended up being junk oil stones.

I would pursue a refund. People don't seem to realize the mail service has to move thousands of tons of mail everyday. They can not handle every package with care.

Refund.

I've gotten a bunch of stones (most from the UK) shipped like that lately. Luckily a 15mm thick slate is a damn bit sturdier than a 4mm thick coti. Shipping the coti that way is 100% sellers fault, and he's gonna have to eat it unless USPS doesn't do their homework, as shipping insurance on items like this have requirements of packing, which he isn't even CLOSE to meeting.

Before you send it back, can ya get a closer pic of the stone? Being a torrey and in that cut, it's surely a coti, but that's a funny looking coti.

Good luck with the paddle strop. I "restored" one of those four sideds awhile back, but I have no success with paddle strops, so I pulled the stone from it and put it away. I also thought it was damned silly to have the sides and base of a whetstone be made of leather. Personally, I think the German 4 sideds with schwedensteins (the ones that dovo copies now) are much higher quality than the torries, but of course they don't have a coti in them. The coticule from mine is a nice, ultra-hard, very smooth example. Nice little stone. Definitely well selected for the purpose they put it to.

Attachments

• $PICT0041.jpg
    $PICT0041.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 138
Last edited:
If you paid using PayPal, you'll get a refund for sure. Hopefully, that seller is going to learn his lesson about being cheap with packaging.

If he offers a partial refund, at what price does it become "worth it" to try to use it? I've bought "ringtones" with less total useable material in them (as in slurry stone use), and of course not near as much honing surface.

Thats up to you, it probably will work fine if you remount it well... but it may not. Worst case you have a what, 4.5x1" plus a slurry? What's that worth to you? I'd say $20-25 for me.

Refund.

I've gotten a bunch of stones (most from the UK) shipped like that lately. Luckily a 15mm thick slate is a damn bit sturdier than a 4mm thick coti. Shipping the coti that way is 100% sellers fault, and he's gonna have to eat it unless USPS doesn't do their homework, as shipping insurance on items like this have requirements of packing, which he isn't even CLOSE to meeting.

Before you send it back, can ya get a closer pic of the stone? Being a torrey and in that cut, it's surely a coti, but that's a funny looking coti.

Good luck with the paddle strop. I "restored" one of those four sideds awhile back, but I have no success with paddle strops, so I pulled the stone from it and put it away. I also thought it was damned silly to have the sides and base of a whetstone be made of leather. Personally, I think the German 4 sideds with schwedensteins (the ones that dovo copies now) are much higher quality than the torries, but of course they don't have a coti in them. The coticule from mine is a nice, ultra-hard, very smooth example. Nice little stone. Definitely well selected for the purpose they put it to.

It has a lot of dirt and swarf on it. I looks like a slightly wider (1/8 inch maybe) twin of the one on the J.R. Torrey Combination Hone and Cushion Belt Strop No. 730 I got the other day. That one was pretty ugly too, and cleaned up in about 2 minutes so I had high hopes for this one. My idea was to do something like this
$CoushonedStropHone.jpg

My thinking is, you can adjust the tension on the leather and the amount of space between the center block with the hone on it and the leather will help keep the wet slurry off of the leather.
Probably better to just make a separate paddle hone and tensioned strop. I am really impressed by the horsehide strop on the 730, too. So much so that I'm considering ordering a horse butt.

He refunded in full and did not say anything about sending it back. I guess he doesn't want to pay return shipping on a broken item. Now that it is free, I think it is worth trying to use.
Lets take a vote, who says we should use epoxy, who says superglue, who says elmers, and who has any other suggestions? Or should I just have two hones, one 2&1/2 inches long and one 3&3/4 long? Or use them as slurry stones? (Tomo for the other J R Torrey, lol)

Top Bottom