What's new

Feather AS-D2 users: What blades do you prefer?

I've been experimenting with different blades my Feather AS-D2. Of the 5 blades that I've used so far, PolSilver SI is my favorite, with Gillette Platinum and Silver Blue close behind (sharpness is around the same, but a little bit of neck irritation). Next tier down is Personna Red IP (not quite as sharp, but no neck irritation). Couldn't use Voskhod - too much neck irritation.

I'm wondering which blades other B&Bers prefer with this razor, and I know... YMMV.

For me it usually takes the sharpest of blade brands and thickness.

E.g feather are really sharp but due to the thinness of the blade they feel milder than the pol iridiums.

Currently I am using pols stainless (brown box) and they working really well. Also kai is another which are feather sharp but pol thick, which equals more exposure.

@Coffeesnob: Have you also used Polsilver SI with your AS-D2? If so, how do they compare?
Polsilver Super Iridiums are one in my rotation and work very well. Again thicker than the feathers but still very sharp. Results in a slightly more aggressive shave.

For me, just about *anything* works in my Feather AS-D2s -- I currently am on day 4 of using a Treet Silver carbon blade (and got 5 days with Treet black carbon, the cheap Rapiras that bestshave sells for $6.49 per hundred, Derbys, anything I toss at it). I even got an acceptable shave from the counterfeit Shanghai Gillette Blues that surfaced around New Years. Didn't push my luck to Day 2 on those, though.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
I put the AS-D2 in the ready rack in the bath (4 safeties; a Schick, GEM MM, Fat Boy & now the Feather .. ) The DE's run Feathers, tried the Polisilvers, didn't feel sharp enough here. But I have tried a couple blades in the AS-D2 and everything "worked" ..

I only use Feathers in a D2. In fact, I bought the razor because the blades are quite cheap in my area. Haven't bothered trying the rest of my blades (GSB, Red IP, Polsilver, Bleue Extra) in the razor at all.

Top Bottom