What's new

Opinions needed ca vs resin

So now that I've done both I can say I like ca so much better it takes longer or rather needs attention for a longer period of time but I feel the end outcomes of ca are much easier to control... Resin, one bad spot and the whole scale needs to be redone whereas ca can be sanded smooth on the bad spot and more coats can be added

Opinions?

If what you are calling resin is a two part epoxy, I have had good luck with epoxy finishes, but I have some specialized equipment for making it work from another hobby. I have made custom fishing rods for many years. I have slow turning motors to prevent sagging and have learned some tricks to avoid bubbles. I also have no trouble sanding out a blemish or bubble and re-coating.

I've tried both. The epoxy attempt didn't make the cut. It looked nice and was a fairly easy process, but while pushing a pin through, the epoxy coat pushed up away from the wood. The problem was probably mine, wrong product. The CA finish turned out nice but I did not enjoy the fumes.
What type of epoxy are you using, if you don't mind me being nosey?

mrlandpirate

Got lucky with dead badgers
you might try polyester resin it is a clear top coat finish, epoxy is more a glue and is softer and yellowish. The hard clear shell on a surfboard is polyester resin for example.

you might try polyester resin it is a clear top coat finish, epoxy is more a glue and is softer and yellowish. The hard clear shell on a surfboard is polyester resin for example.

That's what I'm using but was corrected saying it was epoxy hahah

I'm using envirotex lite... I think ca is what I'm going to do from here on out

I am a fan of polyester resin. It makes a wonderful durable finish and the working time is adjustable to some degree just by varying the amount of catalyst you use.

I use a two part finishing epoxy that was designed for finishing fishing rod wraps. Scales I made for a Feather A/C....

I have not held any of your scales in my hands and seen them so this is a serious "YMMV" opinion.

I have a few pens a friend made for me and some are CA, some are urethane, some are two-part. I prefer the two-part finished pens. The finish seems deeper and more refined. With CA it's always "pretty" but it does nothing to enhance it. Hard to explain what I mean. You can take a 2x4 and make it look better with sanding and 2-part but you put CA on it and it just looks like you spilled glue on a 2x4 ... know what I mean?

if you shellac the wood before ca and buff it then it looks equally well, the shellac makes the grain pop. I use it on all my exotic woods and never had a problem. I vote for ca.

Top Bottom