What's new

Returned Above the Tie items.

We have just added a new section to our website. Returned stainless razor items are now available for resale at a discount. For those interested, this is a good way to acquire and additional cap, base plate or handle at a discounted price. Go to our site and check it out.

only $5 off on return items? the discount should be greater or why bother buy used? I own ATT H1 and love it. your product is great but prices should be little more discount on used items

Feedback received. After some consideration we have decided to offer our returned items at a 20% discount. These price reductions have already been updated on our site. Enjoy.

Are the heads and base plates compatible with the EJ D89 handle?

If you're asking if you can purchase a cap and base plate from ATT and put it on your EJ handle until you are able to pick up a better handle then the answer is yes. You will want a better all stainless steel handle as it will better the shave quality and give better balance to the razor.

If you're asking if you can intermix base plates and caps then the answer is no. You need to use an ATT base plate with an ATT cap and an EJ base plate with an EJ cap.

If you're asking if you can purchase a cap and base plate from ATT and put it on your EJ handle until you are able to pick up a better handle then the answer is yes. You will want a better all stainless steel handle as it will better the shave quality and give better balance to the razor.

If you're asking if you can intermix base plates and caps then the answer is no. You need to use an ATT base plate with an ATT cap and an EJ base plate with an EJ cap.

Thanks for the detailed answer! I was planning the first option, first spend in the cap and the three base plates using my handle to decide the degree of aggressiveness, and once settled spend in the handle.

Thanks for the detailed answer! I was planning the first option, first spend in the cap and the three base plates using my handle to decide the degree of aggressiveness, and once settled spend in the handle.

This may not make as much sense as it "sounds" like to you, unfortunately. Using the EJ handle will really throw things out of whack IMO with the ATT and it won't give you an accurate reflection of how the plates will perform with a real stainless handle. The balance point will just be totally off, which is an important factor in the performance of any razor.

Also, you really don't need three ATT plates. I have 5 of the 6 plates available and use the same one 98% of the time. Instead of buying lots of plates you should really just get one entire razor. If you buy it directly from Stan at ATT you can swap base plates within the first 30 days to find the one you like. You really need just the one and the others will sit unused. He'll give you a full refund as well if you find the razor isn't for you. Be careful though because if you try it you'll likely end up keeping it.

Also, you really don't need three ATT plates. I have 5 of the 6 plates available and use the same one 98% of the time. Instead of buying lots of plates you should really just get one entire razor. If you buy it directly from Stan at ATT you can swap base plates within the first 30 days to find the one you like. You really need just the one and the others will sit unused. He'll give you a full refund as well if you find the razor isn't for you. Be careful though because if you try it you'll likely end up keeping it.

David is spot-on correct. I've tried them all and have comfortably landed on the M1 plate. I have had the H and R1 plates as well as the R2 and M2, I stand corrected, I've yet to try the H2. I've determined the open combs are not for me. Also, the R1 gives me a nice shave, but I enjoy the M1'much more for my tastes. I have a Kronos and Collossus handle and enjoy both. I use these handles on just about every other razor I use as well.

The ATT razors are all fantastic shavers and exceptionally made shaving machines. This, along with Stan's superior customer service is what makes me(and many others) keep going back time and time again.

IMHO these razors are tops for the higher-end razor market.

Cheers,

Dan

David is spot-on correct. I've tried them all and have comfortably landed on the M1 plate. I have had the H and R1 plates as well as the R2 and M2, I stand corrected, I've yet to try the H2. I've determined the open combs are not for me. Also, the R1 gives me a nice shave, but I enjoy the M1'much more for my tastes. I have a Kronos and Collossus handle and enjoy both. I use these handles on just about every other razor I use as well.

The ATT razors are all fantastic shavers and exceptionally made shaving machines. This, along with Stan's superior customer service is what makes me(and many others) keep going back time and time again.

IMHO these razors are tops for the higher-end razor market.

Cheers,

Dan
I'm curious what difference you feel between the M1 and M2 plates. My daily shaver is the M2 but I've been considering trying one of Stan's safety bar plates.

Last edited:
I'm curious what difference you feel between the M1 and M2 plates. My fault shaved is the M2 but I've been considering trying one of Stan's safety bar plates.

For the average shaver (but not everyone), the consensus seems to be that the M2 is quite a bit more aggressive than the M1:
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/410532-Above-the-Tie-(ATT)-M1-vs-M2

Some (although not most) even find the M2 to be more aggressive than the R1:
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...-Tie-(ATT)-M2-(open-comb)-vs-R1-(straight-bar

+1 :thumbup:

Stan, I said thanks for doing this in a PM, but let me repeat that publicly. Also, thanks for listening to our comments about pricing!

I think, for me, the open comb is just not a comfortable shave. The M2 wasn't necessarily agressive, it just wasn't comfortable for my tastes. There are those that can give you scientific data such as blade gap, but it all comes down to your preferences and what works. I used a R1 for some time, sold it, bought again, then exchanged the R1 for M1. I'd never tried the M1 previously, as I figured it would be mild, like an AS-D1/2, but for me, the M1 is perfect.

Top Bottom