What's new

List of shaving creams for sensitive skin

Gentlemen,

My apologies if this has been covered before already (if so, could you be so gentle to direct me to the correct thread?) but I was wondering whether there exists a list with shaving creams and other products which are rather suitable for people with a pretty sensitive skin.

I'm planning on ordering some samples from Scotto but would like to make sure they are suitable for the average sensitive skin since I have troubles in finding decent products of which my neck doesn't turn red after a few minutes.

Thanks in advance for any responses!

Benjamin

I have discussed the idea of a list of creams and soaps for sensitive skinned gentlemen with other members before, but I don't know if anyone ever went ahead and put it together.
From a personal perspective I would recommend that those with sensitive skin avoid eshave White Tea (eventhough it smells superb) and any of the almond shaving creams.
If you are worried about possible reactions, rub some of the cream into your arm and leave it overnight to see if it causes any irritation.

Hi Alex,

Thanks for your response, much appreciated. Maybe we can temporarily use this thread to gather as much info as possible regarding products suitable for the average sensitive skin and compile a list from there.

Thanks,
Benjamin

I have fairly sensitive skin. The following creams have worked well for me:

Taylor's Avocado
Trumper's Violet
Nancy Boy Shave Cream

The above are pretty much all I use in my rotation, sometimes I'll throw in a sample of something to add variety. I find that few creams will cause irritation, usually the ones that don't work for me will just dry out the skin. However, I have not been able to find a soap that works for me, they're usually the ones causing the most problems (mind you, because of this I haven't tried a lot of them, so there might be some milder than others).

MaxTO said:

Taylor's Avocado
Trumper's Violet
Nancy Boy Shave Cream

I second this list, with Avocado being the top choice if my face feels rather tender.

The Avocado seems to leave my face soft and supple without any additional aftershaves.

-joedy

The list kind of depends on what exactly irritates your skin. If you simply need a cream that builds into a very lubricating lather, then that is one thing. It is, however, a whole different story if you are simply trying to avoid products that contain a specific EO or FO (or whatever) that you know to be an irritant to you. Perhaps if you could help to clarify your wants/needs, we can help to build this list so that it is of greater value to you.

MaxTO said:

Taylor's Avocado
Trumper's Violet
Nancy Boy Shave Cream

The above are pretty much all I use in my rotation, sometimes I'll throw in a sample of something to add variety. I find that few creams will cause irritation, usually the ones that don't work for me will just dry out the skin. However, I have not been able to find a soap that works for me, they're usually the ones causing the most problems (mind you, because of this I haven't tried a lot of them, so there might be some milder than others).

If you are still interested in trying a shaving soap, I would suggest trying Tabac. Despite the intensity of the scent, I have never seen a single report of it causing any problems.

Kyle said:
The list kind of depends on what exactly irritates your skin. If you simply need a cream that builds into a very lubricating lather, then that is one thing. It is, however, a whole different story if you are simply trying to avoid products that contain a specific EO or FO (or whatever) that you know to be an irritant to you. Perhaps if you could help to clarify your wants/needs, we can help to build this list so that it is of greater value to you.
I'm afraid I don't really have a good idea of what exactly is irritating my skin. I would just like to use this thread to come up with a general list of products which tend to irritate the average sensitive skin, making this list usable for a larger part of the forum members.

I would suggest T&H Ultimate Comfort. Great shave cream. Does have some Lavender oil, if you are sensitive to that, but otherwise great for sensitive skin.

I thought I had sensitive skin because of all the ingrown hair and irritation issues before I came upon traditional wet shaving. I own 35+ creams and soaps and have tried at least another 15. So far the only one that I have a problem with is Conks Bay Rum. If I were you I would just try things that you think you will like...if you want to try a patch test before actually shaving that may give you a piece of mind. Who knows...you might find out like I did that a majority of products work just fine for you.

It's too personal a thing for any advice to be of any real benefit. I'd advise avoiding Taylor's creams based on my experience but plenty of other people love them. Also highly coloured creams. eg: Trumper's Violet.

However I'd definately suggest DR Harris Almond, Coate's Almond or Coate's Tea Tree as being suitable. I'm sure there's plenty that'd disagree though as could you if you try them!

I always thought of myself as having sensitive skin until I started down the wet shaving path. I now think I probably have a mild sensitivity to certain ingredients (lavender and lanolin for example). Unfortunately, for me, it is basically a trial and error thing.

Regarding the testing of creams on your arm, that method has never worked for me. For whatever reason, the skin on my face reacts completely different to the rest of body. Next to nothing irritates the skin on my arm whereas a host of things might set my face on fire.

As for specific shave creams:

Taylors started out okay for me but went south fast. The worst one was Shave Shop which was a shame since I really liked the scent. The only one I still own is Avocado (old formulation).

I think T&H Rose and Trumper's Coconut would both be good choices. But, as has been said, your mileage may vary.

Thanks for all the replies gentlemen. I do agree with all of you that every skin reacts differently on specific products and that in the end, it's very hard to come up with a list even for the average sensitive skin.

As proposed, I will try a few samples which I think I will like and see from there. In any case, don't let this stop you what worked or did not work for you caused by a sensitive skin!

Thanks again guys!

Any cream using Lavender E.O. should be suitable for and I believe are made for those with sensitive skin. Some notable ones that come to mind:

Trumper
AOS
Taylor (personal favorite)
Castle Forbes

I am referring to the lavender variety of those creams listed above.

Arko "Sensitive"
Cerrus
Speick
Florena
Olivia's shaving creams and soaps. (all of them)
Crabtree & Evelyn almond or Sienna

all of this stuff is wonderful for sensitive skin, in my honest opinion

Jeff

Both AOS and Taylors offer hypoallergenic shave creams. T&H's Ultimate Comfort comes pretty close too, though it does contain a small amount of lavender.

--Mark

I also have very sensitive skin. :mad:

For some reason, Crabtree & Evelyn - Sandalwood cream really doesn't agree with me. I bought a tube at the start of the week, I used it for the past few days, and i've been getting quite red and blotchy skin after my shaves. :blush:

I don't think I'm gonna use it again. It's kind of a shame because I really like the tube and the metal twisty thing at the end of it. :lol: :frown:

I've found that Coate's Almond is the best for me. I went back to that today, and there was no redness or blotchiness like the previous 3 days!

Top Bottom