What's new

HELP! I have too many choices I love, help me narrow the field for my first SR.

So, I have concluded I will purchase my first razor from classicedge(.ca). What I haven't concluded, and what is slowly killing me now, is the amount of choices I have.

My budget:
~$300 cap for the blade, before taxes and shipping.

What I think I want:
~6/8 Full hollow

The most asthetically pleasing one to me so far is the Dovo Carre; however, I am second guessing myself with the TI Special C.; a couple wooden handled Heljestrand's(but those are 5/8 1/4 hollows); a Boker Edelwiess(dem bone handles);

THIS:http://classicedge.ca/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=1674;

and THIS: http://classicedge.ca/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=1679;

I'm so lost!

With your budget I would grab the TI and a vintage from someone here too. The TI is far better at holding an edge and having two razors is key for new SR users.

My TI has never, ever had to have anything but light touch up and a good stropping to stay fresh.

Thiers Issard all the way.

Frank

I agree with the 6/8. For $300 ( just under) you can buy a brand new Hart Steel at Classic shaving. You cant go wrong with a Hart. Holds it's edge, shaves wonderfully, holds the value, USA made and of the highest quality. The other feature I like is they can be torn down in seconds for cleaning

300 will buy a lot of razor... Their prices seem a bit high... Dovos don't tend to keep their value too well... I would get a vintage off a forum member here you'll be well under budget and would be able to sell your razor for more if you don't like it... For 300 you could buy a heljestrand mk32 off eBay and it doesn't get much better than that... Or even a filarmonica 13 or 14 doble temple and it doesn't get much better than that either

The suggestion to buy 2 razors is solid. When you first start out having a second blade available while you learn how to touch up the first is a good idea. Maybe split the budget and buy 2 vintage razors.

Last edited:
I can extend the budget if I buy two. Right now I'm thinking I might get a 6/8 Hart, and someone just tempted with me a very nice Le Gretlot.

Go to west coast shaving and look up a Boker silver steel 6/8 hollow for 149.00 - I have a fair amount of razors and this is my favorite - mine came shave ready and have only had to touch up in about 20 shaves. I am fairly new to this - so if its easy for me to keep up and shave well anyone can do it. Vintgage razors are great(most of mine are) but sometimes they don't live up to the hype and more honing skills are usually necessary.
. Have no connection to West Coast(but have great success ordering from them)

Last edited:
300 will buy a lot of razor... Their prices seem a bit high... Dovos don't tend to keep their value too well... I would get a vintage off a forum member here you'll be well under budget and would be able to sell your razor for more if you don't like it... For 300 you could buy a heljestrand mk32 off eBay and it doesn't get much better than that... Or even a filarmonica 13 or 14 doble temple and it doesn't get much better than that either

I agree with this. You can buy some very nice blades for $300. I prefer a vintage so I wouldn't buy any of the new razors, but I would probably get a MK32 like Heeso suggested. IMO they are the best razors out there.

There are some very nice razors list right now in the hobbyist classifieds that are well within your budget.

classicshaving.com has a kit that has a hart 7/8 that I would go for, but is there any reason besides being worried about a blade that big, that I should not go for it?

I was thinking one new razor, and then something vintage I can learn to hone on later.

So, I have concluded I will purchase my first razor from classicedge(.ca). What I haven't concluded, and what is slowly killing me now, is the amount of choices I have.

My budget:
~$300 cap for the blade, before taxes and shipping.

What I think I want:
~6/8 Full hollow

The most asthetically pleasing one to me so far is the Dovo Carre; however, I am second guessing myself with the TI Special C.; a couple wooden handled Heljestrand's(but those are 5/8 1/4 hollows); a Boker Edelwiess(dem bone handles);

THIS:http://classicedge.ca/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=1674;

and THIS: http://classicedge.ca/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=1679;

I'm so lost!

If you think you're lost now, just wait until you become an experienced shaver. You are a candidate for RAD (Razor Acquisition Disorder).

I think two to three is what we all started as a justification an then it spirals rather swiftly out of control.

Personally I would go th vintage route. A lot more razor for the almighty dollar. Of the razors I have I have yet to pay more than 20$ and none of them are cheapies. Its daunting but with some research and guidance you can have a good antique or 20 for that 300.

Don't get me wrong that 300 will get you a real nice blade shopping new but you can't beat the oldies in my opinion. Something about the history of holding a razor that's 150 years old and knowing you will most likely pass it on to your kids.

But hey I'm crazy. I say with three hundred you go get a couple blades and have them honed and then you can really decide what you like and then sell off what's not your favorite and have spent nowhere near that much.

But then again if I had 300 to spend on one piece of kit I'd blow it on a rock(of Japanese heritage).

SWMBO will kill me if I start a collection. I figure I can have a 3 razor limit before I die a mysterious death.

Oh it won't be mysterious... "Man cuts throat while shaving and bleeds to death" hahah jkjk

Hart is good but probably not the best shaver out there... Especially for your first razor..

Top Bottom