What's new

Custom Straight Razor Makers

One of the problems here is that B&B is a gorilla in the wet shaving world. I like this forum because of the honest reviews of different products. When a product, no matter what it is, gets a good or bad review it can have some major consequences. I have seen a good review cause a run on a business that eliminates a particular product for a while. The reviews will become tainted if there is an outcry every time there is a bad review. Sometimes the people doing business here and the members are one in the same and that is bound to cause problems from time to time. While I think tact is the wise course of action, crap happens! Thank you Moderators for taking the bull by the horns.

Take Care,
Richard

After much careful reading and pondering, it astounds me that this thread go to where it is. It started off with someone asking for a list of people that make custom straight razors and ended with a shameful exchange between 2 highly respected members.

Sad really.

Well, for me there's only one member that still has my respect out of those two right now. But hey: Let's not go there.

One of the problems here is that B&B is a gorilla in the wet shaving world. I like this forum because of the honest reviews of different products. When a product, no matter what it is, gets a good or bad review it can have some major consequences. I have seen a good review cause a run on a business that eliminates a particular product for a while. The reviews will become tainted if there is an outcry every time there is a bad review. Sometimes the people doing business here and the members are one in the same and that is bound to cause problems from time to time. While I think tact is the wise course of action, crap happens! Thank you Moderators for taking the bull by the horns.

Take Care,
Richard

There is nothing wrong with writing a review, but when you aren't impartial, the review loses credibility.
It would be improper for me to write a review of an item I was trying to sell on my site. Just as it would be improper to review Livi razors if I am trying to negotiate with him to be his supplier in the US. Or to write a bad review, and attack his work when he says no.
I do not know details of the exchanges that went on, or what bad blood exists between these two members, but there clearly was more than just a simple disagreement between a customer and manufacturer.
The nature of custom razors is that if a deal falls through, somebody will buy it. I don't see why the purchaser didn't just get a refund, and the maker didn't sell to another party. Unless somebody refused to work on a resolution.

I have only had business dealings with one of these individuals, and I have recieved nothing but professionalism, courtesy, and respect. If his professional attitude is reflected in his razors in any way, I am confident that I will be satisfied with out transaction.

There is nothing wrong with writing a review, but when you aren't impartial, the review loses credibility.
It would be improper for me to write a review of an item I was trying to sell on my site. Just as it would be improper to review Livi razors if I am trying to negotiate with him to be his supplier in the US. Or to write a bad review, and attack his work when he says no.
I do not know details of the exchanges that went on, or what bad blood exists between these two members, but there clearly was more than just a simple disagreement between a customer and manufacturer.
The nature of custom razors is that if a deal falls through, somebody will buy it. I don't see why the purchaser didn't just get a refund, and the maker didn't sell to another party. Unless somebody refused to work on a resolution.

I have only had business dealings with one of these individuals, and I have recieved nothing but professionalism, courtesy, and respect. If his professional attitude is reflected in his razors in any way, I am confident that I will be satisfied with out transaction.

As previously stated, that was total b.s. - but cest la vie. You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make them drink.

Why don't the moderators just delete this thread. If someone wants to resurrect suzuki's good pointers in a new thread [ideally in a few weeks] that would save the main benefit of it.

But this thing took a turn I'm sure no one wanted, and is going to lean toward that turn no matter what, and I find myself drawn to it like an issue US Weekly, which is as good a sign as any that it should just be nuked.

Perhaps not deleting but locking the thread is in order.

It seems that anything constructive has already been said. It doesn't really require further discussion, commentary or speculation by those not directly involved.

JM$0.02

OK so to try to go positive again since my posts got deleted.

My credentials:
I have almost 300 straight razors with almost 100 of them being razors I could sell in the $150+ range. I restore the blades and specialize in mirror polishes. I hone at honemiester level as stated by other senior members who own my razors (though I will not claim the title for myself since i feel I have more to learn). I have a 1 to 2 month resto backlog at SRP. I own a Chandler and have a $1200 williams supercustom on order. I have used a Zowada. I have held between 20 and 30 customs and examined them closely when attending the Ohio Meetup. I am a collector and a user for around 3 years.

If you want to see my work them PM me and I will send pics to prove I know what I am doing so that I don't clog the thread.

I am a reasonably credible poster as you can see though Taz is probably the most credible of all.

Here is my take on the postives and negatives of everyone I can comment on.

Joe Chandler Pros: Very inexpensive. Standup guy. Very nice razors with good finish. Can get Wootz.
Cons: Wood scales only. Still learning.

Robert Williams: Pro: Massively talented because can do so many things like scrimshaw, work with ivory and bone, inlays in both scale and blade, fancy filework, and multiple metals. Reasonable pricing.
Cons: 3 month or more wait. Issues with finish on cheaper blades as stated by Joel though on every blade I saw there was no issue.

Tim Zowada: Massively talented metal smith and blade maker. Makes own Damascus and does own heat treating. 1 Piece scales. Fine fit and finish. Simple but elegant.
Cons: Very High Price Tag.

Maestro Livi/Takeda- Pros: elegant and fine with european touches. Exotic materials. Stainless damascus(pattern welded). Fine fit and finish. Cool inlays.
Cons: Very high price tag. Don't you hate exchange rates.

There are other makers but these are the main ones of note that I can speak on. The exchange of knowledge is the only way people can make informed decisions and I repect the right of the moderators to gentle a heated argument if it is ugly but why the other INFORMATIVE POSTS????

OK New Note. I have been corrected by Joe Chandler.

He does do other materials such as mother of pearl and ivory. I was not aware of this since all I have seen is wood.

Second I have been informed that he has been making knives for a very long time. I don't doubt this. I only stated "still learning" because he is one of the newer of the custom razor makers even though he is been doing some of the best restorations out there for some time now and has told me that he is still working on a number of techniques to make his razors even better and getting finer and finer equipment.

Again my comments on him are brief and too the point. He is a standup guy, his razors are the most price effective, his blades have a very nice finish, and yet he is still learning new techniques and improving on a constant basis.

I like my razor very much and it is the only razor I have gotten that has a finish that I like since I am picky about my mirror finishes.

Since I was messaged by him I felt the need to clarify.

Never mess with Cartman, Scott Tenorman tried that and I believe we all know what happened to him :tongue_sm

-Or probably not since not everyone watches south park

Glad I missed the flame war. Must have happened while my internet connection was down. I'm a total newbie with the straights, and will probably never see, much less own, a custom. I will, however, throw in a plug for Josh Earl, mentioned above. I sent him some razors to hone, and was more than pleased with the wonderfully smooth and sharp edges. Highly recommended, especially for newbies needing that first razor honed. :smile:

OK New Note. I have been corrected by Joe Chandler.

He does do other materials such as mother of pearl and ivory. I was not aware of this since all I have seen is wood.

Second I have been informed that he has been making knives for a very long time. I don't doubt this. I only stated "still learning" because he is one of the newer of the custom razor makers even though he is been doing some of the best restorations out there for some time now and has told me that he is still working on a number of techniques to make his razors even better and getting finer and finer equipment.

Again my comments on him are brief and too the point. He is a standup guy, his razors are the most price effective, his blades have a very nice finish, and yet he is still learning new techniques and improving on a constant basis.

I like my razor very much and it is the only razor I have gotten that has a finish that I like since I am picky about my mirror finishes.

Since I was messaged by him I felt the need to clarify.

That was a very cool thing of you to do. Good on ya.

I've decided to take a plunge into the world of custom straight razors; and I do mean plunge! I've contacted three artisans so far and I await their responses. :biggrin:

has anyone heard from joe since hurricanes gustav/ike?

I messaged him at the beginning of the week and havent heard from him. now, I am just concerned; being a fellow louisiana resident and all.

Top Bottom