What's new

Rooibos

What does everyone think about rooibos tea? I personally love it. Especially loose leaf brewed for three minutes.

Wow. Are you located in Africa? I have also never tried the green. I wonder what the differences are.

I'm in the U.S. now,but have traveled to Africa several times.The South Africans have ultra modern supermarkets in Tanzania,where you can find the tea fairly cheap..http://www.adagio.com/rooibos/green_rooibos.html....I always bring home the loose pack of "Eleven O'clock"....

Attachments

• $roo.jpg
    $roo.jpg
    193.9 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:
Rooibos.

Have drunk hundreds of gallons of the stuff over my life.

It's relatively new to the North American market en masse, and because it's naturally a little bitter it doesn't sit well with the North Americans' palates which prefer sweet things, which is why they've flavoured it.

Traditional medicinal uses of rooibos in South Africa include alleviating infantile colic, allergies, asthma and dermatological problems.

Rooibos is purported to assist with nervous tension, allergies and digestive problems.

And also, it is naturally caffeine free.

And the difference between the green and original red variety:
Rooibos is usually grown in a small area in the region of the Western Cape province of South Africa. Generally, the leaves are oxidized, a process often referred to as fermentation in accordance with tea processing terminology. This process produces the distinctive reddish-brown color of rooibos and enhances the flavor. Unoxidized "green" rooibos is also produced, but the more demanding production process for green rooibos (similar to the method by which green tea is produced) makes it more expensive than traditional rooibos. It carries a malty and slightly grassy flavour somewhat different from its red counterpart.

We just moved to the USA from South Africa. Rooibos is so incredibly common there. Many babies drink it in their bottles!

Top Bottom