What's new

How to clean a NATO watch band?

Hey Gents, soooooo my NATO watch band is a little less than "fresh", and I'm wondering how I can clean it and get that sour smell out it? I've tried taking it off the watch and simply scrubbing it with an anti-bacterial soap, and I've also tried cleaning it with the anti-bacterial soap and then cleaning/applying a "hand sanitizer" hoping it will kill any bacteria that are causing the funkiness. I've also cleaned it and then put it in a zip lock bag full of baking soda....no workie. I'm at a loss :blush:

I'm sure I'm not the only guy that sweats up a NATO band, so I'm hoping one or many of you can shed some light on the best process to de-funk my watch band. Thanks in advance for the help.

Legion

Staff member
I put mine in a pillow case, then throw it in the washing machine with the rest of my washing. Seems to work.

I put mine in a pillow case, then throw it in the washing machine with the rest of my washing. Seems to work.

I just threw mine in the washing machine, lol. Thanks and great idea, but I wonder if this is how everyone does it, or are there other ideas. Makes me wonder if the dish washer would also work if I fastened the band around a few of the racks or prongs? Thanks again

Legion

Staff member
I just threw mine in the washing machine, lol. Thanks and great idea, but I wonder if this is how everyone does it, or are there other ideas. Makes me wonder if the dish washer would also work if I fastened the band around a few of the racks or prongs? Thanks again

Wash machine will work better. It is designed for that kind of thing. A dishwasher, and particularly the caustic dishwasher soap, will probably damage the strap.

You could also try one of those cleaning sprays for sneakers. Let the foam sit for a few minutes. Scrub gently with a sponge and then rinse. Works for me.

when I have to clean odd things in the washer I pre treat with a bar of soap. Get it wet, rub a bar of soap on it, and if needed use a bristle brush to work the soap in the fibers. Then just throw in the washer. Don't put it in the dryer or it can make things hard and stiff.

Back when I was clearing my first duty station, I broke my ruck apart and threw the whole thing in the washer (minus the frame) the buckle made a whole bunch of racket as it banged against the drum for 40 minutes.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
seems the consensus is the washing machine. But put inside something else, like a sock, jeans pocket, mesh wash bag. Or strapped to the belt loop of a pair of jeans.

Toothbrush and dish soap might also work.

Just don't expose to extreme heat - like the dryer - as they are synthetic (nylon?) and excessive heat could cause harm.

I've used a washing machine to clean mine. Just slip it into a pocket that you can button up. Laundry detergent is designed to clean fabric and it will do a good job. Air dry it when you are done.

Where have you gents purchased yours? I've bought watch bands from County Comm but they have not had the style I want for my vintage heirloom Seiko with a metal band that's not comfortable at all.

I have used the washing machine, but usually just wash it while washing my hands: Take the watch off band, get wet, rub in soap, rinse, install watch, put back on wrist, repeat! Also a good time to give the watch a bath!

About the source of NATO bands check out crown and buckle - my favorite nato and excellent service.

I don't wear mine for heavy work, so it is slow to get funky/dirty, but I found swimming around in chlorinated pool wearing Watch + Nylon NATO band helped to clean it up a bit.

Dishwasher with detergent might effect the buckle of the strap. For some reason the detergent seems very nasty and brings out the worst if anything metallic.

Dip the strap in vinegar? Works on my underarm stains and stink on shirts that start to take on a funk...

Or you could try the selvege jean thing and put it in the freezer for a day - I know my jeans come out much fresher from this...

Update: So, I tossed my stinky watch band in with my clothes after getting that tip from you guys in this thread, thanks. Worked like a charm, and since then I've washed it twice a week or so (depending on how much I wear it) in the shower with my Mitchell's Wool fat bar of soap. Hasn't smelled since :)

Top Bottom