What's new

When Did You Get Your First Knife?

I had my first knife around 5 or 6 years old. Mostly for scouting, hiking and camping. My high school principle used to come up to me as we were setting up for assemblies and ask to borrow my pocket knife. I've only been out of school for eleven years but I can't imagine a kid carrying a knife at school these days without the police getting involved. Sad.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
my first knife I bought when the carnival came to town on the 4th of July. Small town, >800 people. I was probably around 10.
The one with the arrow pointing at it. My dad quickly took it from me.

Then gave me this one.

First knife I had was a small Victorinox Swiss Army, think I was about 14 at the time, unfortunately I lost it on a fishing trip at some point though. Think it was this or very similar $swiss.jpg

Legion

Staff member
my first knife I bought when the carnival came to town on the 4th of July. Small town, >800 people. I was probably around 10.
The one with the arrow pointing at it. My dad quickly took it from me.

Is that red white and blue one auto?

I got a Victorinox Super Tinker for my 8th birthday from my dad. I still have it today. I replaced it a few years ago and not it resides on a shelf. At some point the sentimental value outweighed the utilitarian value and it got put up.

Karl

I was 8 got a buck hunter and a victorinox swiss army issue they dont make it any more but it had aluminum sides instead of plastic. Lost it in 07 when I was deployed I miss that knife dearly

Ya, I think I was 5 when I had my first small folding knife. In 1985... As long as kids understand the basics (knife sharp, never use on people) it's all good.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Probably about 4 or 5. I was following another, older, kid up the ladder to my granddad's hayloft and got scared. He told me that he would give me his pocket knife if I would come on up the ladder.

I did, and got the pocket knife. I forgot about being scared and was all grins when I got up in the hayloft and he handed me his pocket knife. I think it was a Case, Schrade, or something 3 bladed one. I have had several since then and now carry a Case mini stockman.

Dad showed me how to cut things away from myself, and also how to sharpen one on a brick or flat rock.

I still have several of my Dad's, and relatives and friends of the family that are no longer with us, pocket knives of various configurations

I used to have one like this also, but don't know what happened to it. Had that one when I was about 8-10 or so, but it wasn't the Boy Scout emblem one...I don't think.

View attachment 472484

I'd say, six or seven years old. We used to play mumbly peg as kids and do 'stuff' kids did with pocket knives. Must be a few here old enough to remember that 'jackknife' game kids played. I haven't heard it mentioned in years; perhaps no one plays it these days.

Last edited:

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
We used to play mumbly peg as kids and do 'stuff' kids did with pocket knives. Must be a few here old enough to remember that 'jackknife' game kids played. I haven't heard it mentioned in years; perhaps no one plays it these days.

Yup...that was before video games.

Yep, a boy and his jack knife...what fun.

I'd say, six or seven years old. We used to play mumbly peg as kids and do 'stuff' kids did with pocket knives. Must be a few here old enough to remember that 'jackknife' game kids played. I haven't heard it mentioned in years; perhaps no one plays it these days.

Nowadays, kids only are allowed to carry a knife in scouting here after they have had basic instruction (around the age of 9). Both fixed knives and folding knives are permitted, but folders are preferred. After all, most folders come with more than just a blade. The ultra expensive and extensive Swiss knives are not encouraged.

Last edited:
I'm sending an Opinel #6 to a friend for her 11 year old nephew. I've already given them to his older brothers, and I don't want him to feel left out. His aunt thinks he might be a little young.

When did you get your first knife? I honestly don't remember not having one. Some of my oldest memories are of dumping out all the things in my toy box. Always, there was a fixed blade...probably about 5" blade...and a hatchet. They came with a leather scabard for the knife, and a head cover for the hatchet. Both were--from memory--stainless steel, cheap, and neither had much of an edge.

So I had access to knives all my life. I cut myself pretty bad, once, when I was about 13. But...I did it with a knife that belonged to my friend Sam. I had one just like it, but mine was dull, and his was very sharp. I picked up his thinking it was mine, and I was careless.
I was 5 and it was a Colonial 3 inch stockman.

When my grandson was 6, I handed down a three blade Uncle Henry (from Unca Neil Barrett, Jr.) To his mom. Grandson is 9, and mom just gave it to him. Tradition, and cutlery. :thumbup: Now...I need his first camping/fishing knife. Suggestions?

When is was thirteen I found the worlds cheapest multi-tool in my aunt's garage while helping to clean it out. My grandmother tried to give my my great grandfather's pocket knife earlier, but I touched it once and and it sat in my mothers jewelry box till about a year ago.

Top Bottom