What's new

When Did You Get Your First Knife?

I'm sending an Opinel #6 to a friend for her 11 year old nephew. I've already given them to his older brothers, and I don't want him to feel left out. His aunt thinks he might be a little young.

When did you get your first knife? I honestly don't remember not having one. Some of my oldest memories are of dumping out all the things in my toy box. Always, there was a fixed blade...probably about 5" blade...and a hatchet. They came with a leather scabard for the knife, and a head cover for the hatchet. Both were--from memory--stainless steel, cheap, and neither had much of an edge.

So I had access to knives all my life. I cut myself pretty bad, once, when I was about 13. But...I did it with a knife that belonged to my friend Sam. I had one just like it, but mine was dull, and his was very sharp. I picked up his thinking it was mine, and I was careless.

I got mine when I was about 8 years old. That was back in the 1950's and times were different....some might say better and I would agree. The knife he gave me was a small jack knife...or folder as we would say now. No spring loaded mechanism, just a simple, single bladed knife.

My dad showed me how to handle a knife, how to open, close, be safe, cut away from me, etc. He also told me that the knife was only to be taken with me, when we were fishing or camping, when I was under his supervision. Until he felt that I was ready to use it, unsupervised.

I've always had high regard for my dad and his wisdom.

He was very thorough and I still use his methods to this day and I'm 65 now.

Unfortunately, in this modern day, knives are regarded in a different light than the 1950's. Society is different now and I don't really know when is the best age to give a knife to a young fellow.

Also it depends on the young person. Everybody has a different readiness....in some cases the readiness may never come.

I believe I got my first knife as a Cub Scout in the 1950's. Most probably a Cub Scout knife. I do not know what became of it but I have many many knives now and my EDC knife is a Spyderco Delica 4 Green ZDP-189 folding knife.

Surprisingly I think I was 8 y.o. also. My dad gave it to me as a Christmas present along with a long lecture about rresponsibiliity. It's a double bladed, pearl handled pen knife. I still have it.

Interesting...8 sure sounds like the age. Good points, too. I'm not worried about this boy taking his knife to school...he's home schooled. His older brothers are both boys of high integrity. I might give the knife to them...or their father, and let them decide.

Interesting...8 sure sounds like the age. Good points, too. I'm not worried about this boy taking his knife to school...he's home schooled. His older brothers are both boys of high integrity. I might give the knife to them...or their father, and let them decide.
Check with both parents first.

First that was all mine is this trapper.

$IMG_00000007.jpg

I bought it with birthday money when I was in fifth or sixth grade, which would have been in the late 60's. Could be I bought it in seventh grade. Not sure. I carried it all the way into the first years of work after college. I had other pen knives even before this that I had found in the house which my dad was no longer using. It's hard to remember when I wasn't messing with knives as a kid.

I still have the one my uncle gave me when I was nine. It's a little tiny Diamond Edge with Imperial Ireland stamped on the blade. It's the kind of thing that I would have lost many years ago moving around, but it was left over at my grandfather's house and I found it after he passed away.

About age 10 as I recall. Gift from my grandfather and kind of a small transition to manhood. I felt 10 feet tall with that trust.

I got my first knife age 9 in the 50's. I won it in a carnival, a Barlow 2 blade jackknife with bone handle. Be aware that these days many State laws consider +3" blades as weapons, so check the law where it's going. I love the term "automatic knives" being illegal in most places. Ever heard of mass knifings committed with one? As Grandpa used to say, keep it sharp, more cuts come from slipping with a dull knife than a sharp one - He was right.

I was given a Swiss Army Knife when I was in Cub Scouts. Possibly in 1st or 2nd grade. I used to wear it to school on a clip on my belt. My family used to pick these up on annual trips back to the old country.

I got a Buck locking folder knife for my 7th birthday. I used and misused that knife for everything. I whittled a lot of sticks and skinned a lot of squirrels and coons with that knife, also used it to cut wood, and as a prybar, screwdriver, and hammer. I probably should have been given a cheaper knife.

I think I was about 6 or 7 when my dad gave me my first knife.

It was a Danish Vangedal/Hjortekær knife with the logo of the boy scouts stamped on the sheath.

I've gotten loads on knives since then but I still have it around and it's the one I always use when my dad and I go out in the woods searching for mushrooms.

Pic of the type:
$First Knife.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom