What's new

When Did You Get Your First Knife?

IDK for sure but it was just before joining Boy Scouts so I was about 9-10. I remember getting my Boy Scout knife that looked like a Vic sak Pioneer but had a black textured handle and silver bolsters.

Dad gave me my first knife when I was 8. It was a Boy Scout knife. The next knife came later that same year it was a KaBar Marine corps knife WWII surplus. Then came a nice Winchester Hatchet with stacked leather handle and sweet canvas carry pouch. By 12 I was a certified knife hoarder who loved trips to the flea market where I bought knives and bayonets by the five gallon bucket full. I began a very profitable business venture selling knives first to my classmates at school and later at the flea market myself. At one point the owner of Parker Knives knew my name and sent me samples and first production items for show and to test market them.

I easily could have started and ran a cutlery store by the time I was 18 with the contacts and sales volume I was doing at the time. Then the lure of college drew me away from my knife business and kept me away for six years. Later I would reestablish a fairly profitable business selling knives on EBay but they kept jacking up the fees to the point that they were the only one making a profit from my sales.
so I quit selling again. I have somewhere around 200 knives today that are a mixture of old stock and newer stock. They will be a part of my retirement investment portfolio.

I I can't imagine what my life would have been like if I hadn't been given that first Boy Scout knife at the age of eight. It has been and continues to be a fun and interesting hobby and passion. I still love knives and buy and trade and carry more than one daily.

I dont think kids kids today are any different than we were, and I don't see any reason why they shouldn't have a knife at somewhere around 8-10 years of age. With any luck they might turn out to be pretty good adults if they are shown the trust that comes with a pocket knife.

I first received a knife of my own when I was eleven, as an Easter gift, but I'd been fooling around with kitchen knives (especially one very neat boning knife) since I was much younger. As for when it's appropriate to give a kid their first knife these days, I'd say it really depends on the kid. One's first knife should always be either fixed-blade or locking-blade, though - there are way too many horror stories about kids losing fingers trying to poke something with a non-locking folding knife.

My grandfather bought me a folding pocket knife when I was 8 years old along with a wallet and watch. That would have been in 1981. The wallet had a silver dollar in it for luck. I wish I knew where that silver coin went now. I transferred it between wallets a few times as I got older and then it got left in an old one and put in a junk drawer and I haven't seen it ever again.

Last edited:
Buck 110 from my granddad when I was 8. He passed away this last summer. Few months before Archery season here in WNY. Thought it was only fitting that the first deer down got cleaned with Grandpas old 110.

5 or 6 my dad gave me a case hammerhead I believe. It looked a lot like a buck 110 but smaller. When my Dad passed I put his knives up, I still have them to this day and wouldn't trade them for the world.

Dad gave me my first knife for my 8th birthday.
It was a Schrade Trapper. I carried it everywhere (including school :w00t:)and used the heck out of it.
I still have it.

My dad gave me a Victorinox Swiss army knife when I was 10. That was the first year I got to go on the annual backpacking trip with him and my older brothers.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I can't remember when I got my first pocket knife, probably around age 8 or so. Of course back then, boys could carry a pocket knife to school with out being ostracized and locking down the school and calling out the SWAT team! I certainly had pocket knives as a Cub Scout, and certainly a Swiss Army knife early on, as well as a Case pen knife of some sort.

My first was a simple two-bladed pen-knife when I became a scout way back in 1961. My first real knife was a bayonet I received when I joined the British army at 16 as a Junior Leader way back in 1967.

I expect I was around 7 or 8 with my first Barlow knife. The first knife I bought for myself was in 1981 at the New Mexico State Fair. It is an Uncle Henry and I still carry it.

I was 7 or 8. I still have it. I would dig it out and take a picture if it wouldn't wake the house up. It was very much like a Schrade Old Timer.

I gave my Uncle Henry to my grandson's mom. He'ss 10 now, and she gave it to him.

I expect I was around 7 or 8 with my first Barlow knife. The first knife I bought for myself was in 1981 at the New Mexico State Fair. It is an Uncle Henry and I still carry it.

I got my first knife when I was 7 or 8, had one in my pocket every day since and back then every day at school, also.

Top Bottom