What's new

Beginner Scotch

The question is, which one? They do produce some tasty Whisky!

One that won't break the bank wide open to start with, I'm aware I will have to spend a bit but I want something that represents the brand nicely, but not necessarily rare or limited run

One that won't break the bank wide open to start with, I'm aware I will have to spend a bit but I want something that represents the brand nicely, but not necessarily rare or limited run

The 10 or 12 are bourbon casked Whiskies...young and fruity, a little spice. The 15 2nd edition is ACE'd in Sauternes Wine Casks, more well rounded and depth of flavors. The WMD, Links and Italian Collections are 14 years and ACE'd in different wine finishes. I haven't opened any of the Links or Italian bottles yet but the WMDII Yellow Submarine Bottle is very nice. It is a 14 year finished in Rioja Casks. If you come across it, pick one up. Royal Mile Whiskies has a lot of their bottles so you can get an idea on price.

To date I haven't met a Bruichladdich that I don't like. They just have a lot of different offerings. Let us know when you pick something up. Would love to hear your thoughts. :001_smile

I started on scotch in collage along with bourbon, vodka, gin, and pretty much anything that would pour. Ahh... the early 70's. I have remained a scotch drinker as I found my taste for scotch during that period. This is really code for we drank so much, all the time, that scotch was the only thing that had a strong enough flavor to stand alone.

It remains my first choice and I enjoy it neat. I would agree with Glenlivet 12, but considering your budget I think J&B or Cutty might also be a good starting point. Stay away from house brands. Start with a bottle at home, and if your out and about in the evening, call for what you are drinking at home from the bar. I believe you must give you palate a chance to find the taste. You can't do that with 3 dollar taster bottles from the liquor store.

Now if your still in college, and your in my birth state of Louisiana, just dip your cup in the bowl like everyone else. The strongest flavor you taste, Well thats scotch.

BRUICHLADDICH 15 Year Old - Sauternes Finish Looks to be the one I will go for, although I have a shop 15 minutes from here called 'the whiskey store' which I may visit before I make my mind completely up, because it is vast and offers tasters on some bottles. I will let you know what I pick, and sorry for hijacking this thread a bit

V

VR6ofpain

Beginner...Johnny Walker Black Label
Upgrade...Macallan 12 year (triangle label)

From all the strong arguments and/or death threats on the opposing sides of the single malt or blend equation.....I'll say this.... stick with BEER... the hoppier, the better..:biggrin:

I've been drinking Scotch for years and years. The Glenlivet was my favorite for many of those years. I tried a number of other single malts but I kept coming back to Glenlivet as my favorite so I quite trying the $100/bottle stuff and stuck with Glenlivet. Then about 8 years ago I tried The MacCallan and now it's my favorite.
Here are my suggestions:
Cutty Sark with Club Soda (quite refreshing)
Famous Grouse or Dewers or Johnny Walker Black (to me tastes a lot like Dimple Pinch) with water (and ice of course)
Glenlivet on the rocks (maybe with just a touch of water)
MacCallan neat
A couple of other things to keep in mind:
The 15 year old Glenlivet is a little smoother than the 12 but don't waste you money on the 18 year old (cost a lot more than the 15 but not any better).
There is a huge different between Cutty and water compared to MacCallan neat.
Most people don't like scotch the first time they try it.
Don't start drinking Scotch. If you do, nothing else will taste near as good. Plus you'll end up in the poor house because even cheap Scotch isn't cheap!

Last night I finally finished a little 350ml bottle of Glenfiddich 12 that I purchased in Scotland back in 2001 while studying abroad in Edinburgh and had smuggled back into the States by a classmate who was 21 and wouldn't have any 'splainin' to do if Customs got nosy. :wink:

It only took 7 years, but I'm ready for No. 2. When funds become available it will most likely be a bottle of Glenlivet 12.

I am partial to Cragganmore and Knockando, both come from Speyside region of Scotland where the Smith clan originally hailed from and I take my scotch straight up.

Glenmorangie. Great scotch - too bad their newly redesigned website is atrocious.

A man after my own heart. I LOVE Glenmorangie.

J&B is good for inexpensive and JW Black is good too (Skip the red).

Does anyone remember when you could pick up J&B Jet for only about $10 more than the regular J&B? I miss that!!!!! It would have been my #1 choice if it was reasonable now.

This is true only for people who like sherry. I personally hate sherry so I can't stomach MaCallan.

So what your saying is I should try sherry?
:lol:

Sherry always reminds me of the scene from Goldfinger where M tries to snub James Bond only to end up the snubie, instead of the snuber. :lol:

Islay....

Starting off : Laphroaig 10 y/o.
Going Pro : Laphroaig Cask Strength.

A couple of drops of water in the cask version is all you need to really get it going. There has to be some other Friends of Laphroaig on here right? To be honest beginning scotch to me would be getting a bottle of lightly peated scotch (glenlivet) and then a heavily peated scotch (laphroaig), what you like will fall in that range ;)

Islay....

Starting off : Laphroaig 10 y/o.
Going Pro : Laphroaig Cask Strength.

A couple of drops of water in the cask version is all you need to really get it going. There has to be some other Friends of Laphroaig on here right? To be honest beginning scotch to me would be getting a bottle of lightly peated scotch (glenlivet) and then a heavily peated scotch (laphroaig), what you like will fall in that range ;)

Yeah, Leapfrog is a fave of mine, but not something I'd recommend to a beginner.

Yeah, Leapfrog is a fave of mine, but not something I'd recommend to a beginner.

I thought the same, until my little brother who had never really gotten into scotch tried it and loved it. The Laphroaig is very polarizing, if you like it, it is in your top 10. If you don't like it, then you write everyone else off as crazy.

Top Bottom