What's new

Beginner Scotch

I have just started on this slippery slope. I took the plunge after reading this very thread and bought a bottle of The Glenlivet at the weekend after all the recommendations.

My tasting notes so far:

Colour: Looks like Whisky
Smell: Smells like Whisky
Taste: It's Whiskey

I'm just kidding there . . . a bit. My 'nose' hasn't developed that much just yet but I'm sure it will.

There is a pub near me which sells over 80 different malts so I will be heading there soon with friends to taste some of the 'beginner' whiskies. Four or five of those at £1.50ish a shot has got to be better than buying one £30 bottle blind - and more rewarding than drinking 4 or 5 pints of 'cooking lager' !

Anybody like Chivas Regal? It's all I drink.

Yes. Chivas is good and a great starter scotch. Johnnie Walker Black and Dewar's would also be good starters. Drink them however you like. Remember to have fun and find out what you like best. Sounds like a few trips to your local watering hole.:wink2:

From all the strong arguments and/or death threats on the opposing sides of the single malt or blend equation.....I'll say this.... stick with BEER... the hoppier, the better..:biggrin:

Ah, beer. It is very high on my list of drinks. When it comes to "the hoppier, the better" I have nor found anything that holds a candle to Dogfish Head 120 Minute IPA.

Cheers,

I recently started drinking scotch. Hated it in my younger years, I'm smarter now. ;)

I bought a gift pack sampler of 3 different Taliskers that I am really digging on right now - 10, 18 and Distillers Edition. I've also picked up a few Compass Boxes (Peat Monster, Orangerie), Macallan 12, and Fine Oak 15, Balvenie 17, and Leapfrog 10. All have been very enjoyable in their own different ways, but I'd say the Macallan 15 is the leader right now. Fun times.

As an extremely experienced, if not well educated, scotch drinker I'll chime in.

My first choice for a new scotch drinker would be a 12 year old Macallan or if the bank account is flush an 18 year old. I also like the 12 year old Balvenie Doublewood or 10 year old Founders Reserve.

For blends I like Johnny Walker Black or Gold. If you can spend $200.00 on a bottle and want what may be the best blended scotch on the planet then go for a Johnny Walker Blue Label.

Glenlivet is okay and as an advantage can be found in almost any bar.

I don't drink it neat. For me, and many far better educated than me, a good splash of pure water opens up a shot of scotch and makes it's flavor much more accessible. Ice definitely dulls the taste buds and should not be used if you really want to taste the scotch. I'm not really one to talk though since the greatest part of my long history with scotch was Johhny Walker Red and club soda over ice. At least I don't do that anymore.

Well, after half a dozen glasses of Glenlivet I think I can say . . . I'm not a whiskey drinker. I don't 'get' it at all. All I can taste is whiskey and I don't really like the taste to be honest. I'm not sure what I was expecting.

I've tried to like wine, I've tried to like beer, I've even tried to like port but at the end of the day I must just be a Heathen - it's back to cold, cheap, fizzy lager for me!

'ave it!

Well, after half a dozen glasses of Glenlivet I think I can say . . . I'm not a whiskey drinker. I don't 'get' it at all. All I can taste is whiskey and I don't really like the taste to be honest. I'm not sure what I was expecting.

I've tried to like wine, I've tried to like beer, I've even tried to like port but at the end of the day I must just be a Heathen - it's back to cold, cheap, fizzy lager for me!

'ave it!

I'm not sure I get Glenlivet either, I do however truly apprecaite Glenfiddich. :001_tt1: It took my awhile to get my Whiskey 'legs' so don't be discouraged.

'ave it!

Hey, if you don't like it, you don't like it. At least you tried and your bank account will be better off for it.

I had a good friend who said he didn't like any "brown" whiskies. My wife (bless her heart) had bought me a bottle of Johnny Walker Blue Label so I poured him a shot and said, "Try this, if you don't like it it probably means you don't like scotch". He tried it and didn't like it but at least now he can shut up anyone who says, "You'd probably like it if you had a good scotch whisky".

Anybody like Chivas Regal? It's all I drink.

I like Chivas. I don't buy it but I don't feel deprived if I have to drink it at a bar or someone's house. Hey, it's Teddy Kennedy's drug of choice. If it's good enough for someone with a billion dollar trust fund it can't be too bad, right?

I like Chivas too......just bought a bottle of Chivas 18 year old. Salting it away for awhile. I need to drink down my other open bottles.
Any one try the 18 year old? Comments? Impressions?

Haven't tried it myself, but it's getting some excellent reviews. I think it should be some pretty good stuff.

Top Bottom