What's new

Beginner Scotch

All very good single malt recommendations. This is making me thirsty.

Think I'll break out a couple of fingers of Glenfarclas 25.

I started with blends, swore off scotch for years afterwards. My suggestion would be Balvanie doublewood.

I was eyeing the Laddies, but it's time for me to switch to bourbon. Scotch is my Autumn/Winter drink of choice.

I started with blends, swore off scotch for years afterwards. My suggestion would be Balvanie doublewood.

I was eyeing the Laddies, but it's time for me to switch to bourbon. Scotch is my Autumn/Winter drink of choice.

The Balvenie Founders Reserve (10 year old) is also a very good starter. IMO it's a little lighter on sherry, which is much better IMO.

Aqua Velva! (Someone had to say it!)

I think J&B is a fine starter kit, and that's what you asked for.

Glenfiddich 18 (Ancient Reserve at one time here?) is a followup that'd satisfy a noob for a considerable while, on special occasions, such as days that end with "-day."

I went for it last night, and bought a small bottle of Glenlivet 12.

Over ice with a touch of water... DELICIOUS!

*the last time I drank scotch was my 19th birthday when I got off shift at the restaurant where I worked and there were six bears, three shots of tequila and a glenfiddich lined up for me, courtesy of co-workers... got through it all and the glenfiddich was last.... it cam back first :crying: and it put me off it for years...

thanks for the tips gents.

Barry

I went for it last night, and bought a small bottle of Glenlivet 12.

Over ice with a touch of water... DELICIOUS!

*the last time I drank scotch was my 19th birthday when I got off shift at the restaurant where I worked and there were six bears, three shots of tequila and a glenfiddich lined up for me, courtesy of co-workers... got through it all and the glenfiddich was last.... it cam back first :crying: and it put me off it for years...

What did the bears do?

Tim

What did the bears do?

Tim

Bears are "godless killing machines." I would avoid them at all costs!

Another note to add is that if you have a Costco near you they have some good prices on scotch from time to time. I picked up a bottle of Macallan 12 y/o for 38.99 which isn't bad for the area.

EDIT...got out the camera....

proxy.php

It appears that all of those bottles have been quality tested and some more than others. :wink:

I have just a little bit of Johnnie Walker Gold label left, enough for one last hoorah. It will be back to bears :rolleyes: or a glass of wine until autumn.

JD

Drink scotch "neat" (meaning by itself, no ice or water). I'd say a good Scotch to start with is Cragganmore 12, a very good scotch for beginner and aficionado alike, and a price point that is hard to beat. Check it out if you can!

The previous poster just mentioned Johnnie Walker Black. +1 on that! Its a very good Scotch and not too pricey. I also like Glenfiddich, Glengoyne, and Glenmorange (not sure if all my spellings are right, but they're close enough)

So I was in my local liquor store and was reminded of this thread as I was confronted by a wall of scotch bottles, many in fine packed and labeled boxes. I could not recall any of the suggestions. The recommendation from the store clerk was a blend, and in particular Johnny Walker Black Label, which was on sale for 24.99. Is that a good price? I have zero experience with scotch. That is what I got. I must say that scotch is a very distinct difference from other liquors. I find it a nice change as I have been enjoying bourbon for years. One word to describe it is smoky. Wow. I must to explore this more.

My Japanese buddy always has bottles of Scapa 12 on hand that we often hit after work but I'm more of a wine drinker myself so I can't really comment on or compare it to other scotches...tasted fine enough though! Ah I know, I'm of no help here...:rolleyes:

Any love for John, Mark, and Robbo's? They're a line of 3 or 4 different blended scotches that are aimed at roughly matching the flavour profiles of some well-known single malts, with names that tell you what to expect ("The Smoky, Peaty One", "The Richer, Spicy One", etc.). I've only had the smoky, peaty one, and I rather liked it. Should be sub $30 most places.

Let me also say Speyburn 10 is a very cheap ($20) single malt that's not terrible; just a little lacking in complexity.

I drink Talisker mainly, but a Glenlivet is a nice whiskey. Next thing I must try is one of the bruichladdich bottles

+1 on the Talisker ... nice and smooth, easy on the palette ... it gets you buzzed quickly, you sober up quickly about an hour after your last drink, and never, ever gives me a hangover. YMMV.

If I were rolling in dough and wanted to keep a fully stocked stocked Scotch bar at home, all I'd need would be Talisker, Oban and LaPhroaig 15.

Unfortunately, I'm not rolling in dough ... so my default drink is Johnnie Black. My favorite bartender doesn't even have to ask any more, when she sees me standing there, she just reaches straight for the bottle.

I drink it on the rocks when I'm out clubbing, but that's for the sake of convenience because I like to circle around the dance floor alot while I'm drinking.

If I were drinking at home (which I almost never do) or at a sit-down bar, I'd have the scotch served Neet, alongside an ice-water chaser. Use the water to GENTLY dilute the scotch ... this opens it up and releases the flavor. Then just go back and forth between the diluted scotch and the ice water.

Once or twice a year, I treat myself to a bottle of Green ... a whole different animal from the Red and Black. If you haven't tried it yet, you owe it to yourself to get some for your next special occasion.

Top Bottom