What's new

Percolator

any one use a Percolator?

Last week I pull my Percolator out that I have not use 3 years now and made pot.
Andy

My parents used to. But they switched to a drip coffee maker some thirty years ago. There reason was that percolator coffee was supposed to be less healthy. I don't know if that's true.

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
I do.
Stovetop not electric.
I use it here at the house now and then but every morning and evening when we are at the ranch.
It really makes wonderful coffee and reminds me of my grandparents and growing up!

Percolators offer some advantages. They provide hotter coffee, and they're really simple to use. There's a little clean-up, but not really any more than a drip. Few drip coffee-makers generate the 200 degree water temp they say you need to extract all the flavor from the grounds, and the one or two that do, cost a couple hundred dollars.
On the other hand, percolators can have some bad habits, as well. First, most of the older percos used some aluminum in the build, especially the grounds basket and pump (bad idea), and they also tended to brew too long resulting in a harsh coffee, basically over-extracting the grounds. Additionally, all the current perks I know of are made in China and don't last like the old, "made in USA" perks our parents bought, which lasted decades.
I did a lot of research and learned that some of the percolator experts used the vintage Farberware "Superfast" models, which were made in New York, and featured heavy-duty heating elements and thermostats that could last a lifetime. More importantly, the "Superfast" name denoted the fast-brewing characteristics of the model. They generated 200-205 degrees of brew temp almost instantly, and brewed for a very short time, there-by avoiding bitter coffee. Additionally, Farberware understood, even back in the 1960's, that you use nothing but stainless steel in the entire pot. They were expensive in their day, but most of them are still out there brewing excellent coffee.
If you're patient, you can occasionally find one of the vintage U.S.-made models from an estate-sale, in mint condition, or sometimes unused. Expect to pay $65-100, but they're a bargain at that price IMHO because of their excellent brewing characteristics and because you won't buy another perc in your lifetime.

I use them and love the coffee they produce. Much better in taste than the drip machines I've bought in the past.

At home I use a stove top percolator, in the office I use a 40+ year old Farberware Superfast. I actually prefer the stovetop as the coffee produced seems to have a rich dark chocolate flavor unlike any other brewing system I've tried, including the Farberware Superfast (though this comes close).

Percolator's do the same job as a French press IMHO (which I used for quite a while) but without the inclusion of grinds etc when used with a filter. It's a matter of taste and that should be your only guide IMHO.

Enjoy!

Chris

I have a couple percs (both electric), and I love the resulting coffee!

First, most of the older percos used some aluminum in the build, especially the grounds basket and pump (bad idea)

I haven't heard of this as being bad before... what's the problem(s) with aluminum percs?

I have a couple percs (both electric), and I love the resulting coffee!

I haven't heard of this as being bad before... what's the problem(s) with aluminum percs?

Aluminum is not good for you. The coffee you brew at very high temperatures can leach metal from the soft aluminum inside the pot.
Aluminum cookware is criticized for the same reasons. You can find plenty of info on the subject online. Most of the newer percs use stainless steel only. The older percolators generally have some aluminum in the materials, usually the coffee basket and the riser.

Even though it has a bit of aluminum in the basket, and I may develope cancer of the Medulla Oblongata, I love my flameware percolator! I found my grandmothers in the house, and all It needed was a new stem. Luckily for 5$ I found another 6 cup flameware body missing other parts, but with the stem in tact.

I'm still experimenting with getting a really good cup of joe out of it, but I've yet to have a bad one!

Aluminum is not good for you. The coffee you brew at very high temperatures can leach metal from the soft aluminum inside the pot.
Aluminum cookware is criticized for the same reasons. You can find plenty of info on the subject online. Most of the newer percs use stainless steel only. The older percolators generally have some aluminum in the materials, usually the coffee basket and the riser.

Gotcha, thanks!

Well, once again this site pulls me in. After reading this thread, I just HAD to have a percolator. Luckily, one of my razor connections has a pile of kitchenware too. I now have a Farberware Superfast 122B waiting to brew up a pot sometime this weekend.

Percolators offer some advantages. They provide hotter coffee, and they're really simple to use. There's a little clean-up, but not really any more than a drip. Few drip coffee-makers generate the 200 degree water temp they say you need to extract all the flavor from the grounds, and the one or two that do, cost a couple hundred dollars.
On the other hand, percolators can have some bad habits, as well. First, most of the older percos used some aluminum in the build, especially the grounds basket and pump (bad idea), and they also tended to brew too long resulting in a harsh coffee, basically over-extracting the grounds. Additionally, all the current perks I know of are made in China and don't last like the old, "made in USA" perks our parents bought, which lasted decades.
I did a lot of research and learned that some of the percolator experts used the vintage Farberware "Superfast" models, which were made in New York, and featured heavy-duty heating elements and thermostats that could last a lifetime. More importantly, the "Superfast" name denoted the fast-brewing characteristics of the model. They generated 200-205 degrees of brew temp almost instantly, and brewed for a very short time, there-by avoiding bitter coffee. Additionally, Farberware understood, even back in the 1960's, that you use nothing but stainless steel in the entire pot. They were expensive in their day, but most of them are still out there brewing excellent coffee.
If you're patient, you can occasionally find one of the vintage U.S.-made models from an estate-sale, in mint condition, or sometimes unused. Expect to pay $65-100, but they're a bargain at that price IMHO because of their excellent brewing characteristics and because you won't buy another perc in your lifetime.

I bought a 12-cup "Superfast" Farberware percolator at a thrift store last week for only $5. I cleaned the exterior with stainless steel cleaner. I put some cascade (dishwasher soap) in the pot and let it brew and then stand overnight. The pot cleaned up to look brand shiny-new. Made the first pot of coffee with it yesterday and really enjoyed it. Percolator coffee tastes different than brewed coffee. It has a "nuttier" taste that is somewhat hard to explain.

My only complaint about this percolator is that there is no light (on my model) to tell me it's plugged in. Also, for what it's worth, the basket and stem and all the other parts are stainless steel - not aluminum on this unit.

Anyway it was well worth the $5 I paid. This is my second percolator. I needed an extra just in case !

Last edited:
$158707d1327855206-ttiwwp.jpg

Top Bottom