What's new

Anyone interested in doing a CrOx spray pass-around?

The other day I ordered a small bottle of SRDs Chromium Oxide spray. I applied it to the back of my linen strop and it really goes on great. I gave it 2 very light coatings, allowing 3-4 hours in between for the 1st application to dry. After the 2nd application dried, I took a clean towel and gave it a good rub up and down the linen to remove all the powder that was just lingering on the surface, and to smooth it all out. Bottom line, I think for hanging strops this spray is the perfect way to apply CrOx...although I imagine it would work great for a balsa strop too.

The thing is, this bottle could literally last for 50 applications or more. I'll probably be well into my retirement years before finishing it. So I figured that maybe this is something I could share with anyone that might be interested in using it.

So consider this thread an opportunity to indicate your interest in having this thing passed around to you for your pleasure.

I'm really hoping to get more than 2 people interested in this! I just shaved tonight for the first time after stopping on linen with the CrOx spray. It was absolutely an outstanding shave. Noticeably smoother than the shave I got off of CrOx on balsa.

I'm interested as well. I have a new piece of Balsa sitting here to try it with. Thank you!

Last edited:
craniac24, Is this something you still want to do and do we have enough people in line to get this started.

CartridgesAreADrag
eKretz
WeeBo - Canada (I don't know if you could buy a small bottle for the Canadian post cost to the US. You might want to check first.
wolfjs70
dfoulk
Luecke2326
saj_j

Sure...I'm still up for doing it. I was hoping to get started with a list of 10 but we can do it with what we have. I agree that Canada postage probably makes it a bit cost prohibitive, but if someone can show us otherwise, I'm all for including our neighbors to the north.

Updated the list so we're one more closer to 10. Maybe WeeBo can get postage pricing before it's send his way. Or maybe we can send him a small amount sprayed into another container so that postage is less and would only one way. That way he can just PayPal you the price to send the smaller amount to him with no return postage. I imaging this would be inexpensive this way and worth doing for him like this.

CartridgesAreADrag

eKretz
WeeBo - Canada (I don't know if you could buy a small bottle for the Canadian post cost to the US. You might want to check first.
wolfjs70
dfoulk
Luecke2326
saj_j
Silverirae

Updated the list so we're one more closer to 10. Maybe WeeBo can get postage pricing before it's send his way. Or maybe we can send him a small amount sprayed into another container so that postage is less and would only one way. That way he can just PayPal you the price to send the smaller amount to him with no return postage. I imaging this would be inexpensive this way and worth doing for him like this.

CartridgesAreADrag

eKretz
wolfjs70
dfoulk
Luecke2326
saj_j
Silverirae

Would you be willing to "manage" this passaround? I'd send it to you first, then you'd have the responsibility of checking in to see if it's moving along as it should, and making sure that people that originally expressed interest are still going to participate. Also adding/removing people from the list as needed. I'd like to see it move to one person per week at the very worst.

I have a nice hardwood balsa paddle that I have been holding off doing because I'm afraid of messing up. Spraying seems more fool proof (and I am a fool) if this would work on balsa I would be interested in getting on the list.

Would you be willing to "manage" this passaround? I'd send it to you first, then you'd have the responsibility of checking in to see if it's moving along as it should, and making sure that people that originally expressed interest are still going to participate. Also adding/removing people from the list as needed. I'd like to see it move to one person per week at the very worst.

Sure, will do. I'll PM you my address so you can send it my way and we'll work out some guidelines for the passaround.

dfoulk

CartridgesAreADrag
eKretz
wolfjs70
Luecke2326
saj_j
Silverirae
imetabor - added
Rem700 - added

Thank you,
David

Ok, guys I guess I'm going to help manage this so there will be some minor guidelines and rules to keep everything running smoothly.

What's life without rules right? So, by participating in this you are agreeing to the rules.

1. This passaround will go for a max of 20 users at this time after which the last person on the list will send the remaining CrOx back to craniac24. We'll see what happens after that if there is a round two but that will conclude round one.

2. The passaround is not free, the cost of getting your CrOx is two fold; you are required to pay the postage to the next person as well as submit a review of the CrOx. We seriously want the reviews too. It'll be fun reading about everyone's experiences.

3. You will have the CrOx in your possession for no more than one week and are allowed to use a reasonable amount of it. We're looking for each person to use about what is required to do one strop or balsa plank. This way this will keep moving and there will be enough so that everyone will get a turn. Please be considerate.

4. Each person on the list will be contacted by the person before them. When you are contacted you are required to provide your name and address as well as a phone number where you can be reached. Once this information is provided then the item can be mailed to you. If there's a problem getting a hold of you and it's holding up the sending of the item you may get bumped down to keep this moving. The sender should contact me in cases like this and I'll advise on how to proceed. Please don't skip anyone without letting me know.

5. Insurance & Tracking - this is a low cost item so insurance is up to you. Having a tracking number to send to the next person in line is extremely helpful and suggested.

6. Shipping - I don't want to say CONUS but the shipping costs have to make sense when you take the value of the item into consideration. I'm not sure how the Canada thing will play out, but for example, if you're in Australia and it costs $26 to ship this to you then it makes more sense for you to just pick up some locally. Also, please pack the CrOx in a way where it will arrive safely and unharmed.

7. Eligibility - To be eligible you have to be a member in good standing. You must be active on the forum and respond to messages here in a timely manner.

8. Please post in this thread when you receive the item and when you send it to the next person as well as any reviews you add.

9. Other items - Please refrain from adding other items to the shipping package as this will just increase postage for everyone else down the line. Nobody wants to pay shipping for that $2 stick of Arko to circle the globe. There are other passaround boxes for that. Lets just keep this one simple. Exceptions to this rule would be other sharpening sprays or pastes which are certainly acceptable and highly encouraged to be added.

10. Feel free to add your name to one of the open spots and just repost the list to join. When all 20 spots are taken there will be no new members added. If someone drops we may pick up another member if there's interest at that time to take their place.

Any problems or questions, feel free to let me know and thank you to craniac24 for your generosity.

This will start moving as soon as the CrOx is sent to me.

Thank you,
David

Here's the list:
1. dfoulk
2. CartridgesAreADrag
3. eKretz
4. WeeBo -Canada (I don't know if you could buy a small bottle for the Canadian post cost to the US. You might want to check first.)
5. wolfjs70
6. Luecke2326
7. saj_j
8. Silverirae
9. imetabor
10. Rem700

21. craniac24

David, looks good and reasonable. Thanks for heading this up.
Now if someone would add a diamond spray to the mix :tongue_sm

Pretty standard guidelines for a passaround, mostly common sense.

The Diamond spray would be a really nice addition if someone had some they could add.
It's a long shot but if anyone has any other sprays they'd like to add just let me know and they can be sent my way and included in the tour from the beginning.
If all goes well with this passaround, the remainder of any sprays or pastes added could be sent back to the person who added them when the tour is over.

Top Bottom