What's new

Sardines-Is it love or hate?

i try to eat a couple cans a week for the fish oil content and low mercury. i prefer tuna to sardines, but the mercury in tuna is a concern. quality of sardines seems to vary with the brand you select and how it i packed. the imported olive oil packed sardines, a little more expensive are worth it IMO.

Ever wonder how a thread with no activity for 3 years suddenly comes to life? I can't even find threads I was posting in two weeks ago.

But since it is here, nothing like a cold beer, mustard sardines on a saltine, watching baseball on TV.

It's been quite a while since I had any. We used to eat them all the time when I was growing up. Always in mustard sauce and on Saltines. I may have to pick some up, but I'll have to eat them when the wife isn't home.

Yes, sardines in mustard sauce on saltines. I'll have them for lunch or sometimes a light dinner after work. I also like the Beach Cliff fish steaks in Louisiana hot sauce, also on saltines.

Sardines got me through college. Sardines and tabasco on rice.

It's up there with ramen noodles, canned tuna, and Swanson pot pies.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Sardines got me through college. Sardines and tabasco on rice.

It's up there with ramen noodles, canned tuna, and Swanson pot pies.
10-4 on that. I love'em. Lately I've added the makarel and smoked kippers. I try to eat them everyday or every other day. I like them with hot sauce and a sweet pickle.

I've never tried them, nor any of the pickled/canned seafood type things. I am just not that adventurous, I guess. :)

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
lol Since the very thought of them feels a bit repulsive to me, I'm going to go ahead and say no. Guess that puts me in the hate column. :)

I would say there must be a third catogory of "no way" which you fit into. To hate them, first you must try them.

This thread made me buy a couple cans of sardines for old times sake!! Sardines and Tabasco on hot rice for lunch today!

There was a time when I branched out from sardines and started eating kippered snacks and cans of smoked oysters too. Now they're kind of expensive.

@Chango - the smoked oysters are awesome! Hard for me to find now though. I'm going to try the kippered snacks. I'm pretty sure I tried them years ago but don't remember what I thought of them. It must not have been enough to pull me away from my usual sardines & fish steaks.

Top Bottom