What's new

Sardines-Is it love or hate?

OMG! I was in London once and thought I should "do as the Romans do" so I tried kippers for breakfast. I managed to choke those down and the things repeated on me for hours!
We call them "spekbokking", and I love them. But not for breakfast!

OTOH, marinated herring and salmon for breakfast are fine.

I purchase the Nuri brand at a large Chinese chain store called Ranch 99 for $3.49. They can be hard to find. Some Phillipino markets have them. Again, if you haven't tried them, do so. Much, much better than King Oscar. Maybe we should have a Sardine Faceoff Contest. I'll throw in a can of Nuri.

Thanks for the info. We have a couple decent sized Chinese/oriental markets in town. I will have to swing by my favorite and see what I can find.....

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
If your fishmonger can get them...how about grilled (really simple and easy at home), fresh sardines?
proxy.php

Read More: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/29/dining/29mini.html

proxy.php

Read More: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/355217-Sardines?highlight=sardines

$Fishmonger - 1.jpg“Child, there's a sayin' every fishmonger has. When you buy land, you buy stones. When you buy fish, you buy bones”. Karen Cecil Smith, Pillow of Thorns

Last edited:

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I purchase the Nuri brand at a large Chinese chain store called Ranch 99 for $3.49. They can be hard to find. Some Phillipino markets have them. Again, if you haven't tried them, do so. Much, much better than King Oscar. Maybe we should have a Sardine Faceoff Contest. I'll throw in a can of Nuri.

I found them at Amazon. $50 for a pack of 10. Seems high. I'll have to check Whole Foods next time I'm there.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"

How about these?

$BELA-3Cans.jpg

I've tried those also, Aaron. Basic sardine. Save your money. Whole Foods in my area doesn't carry the Nuri. For some reason, Chinese and Philipino stores seem to stock them. Thai, Indian, Japanese it's always a no go. I used to get these for .79 a can. The. 1.18, now $3+.

Strange also, is about 10 years ago, they became very scarce. Then they reappeared with fewer and larger fish in the can. Now they're back to smaller again. But not as small and delicious as when I first began eating them. But then, there was probably less ocean pollution in 1962!

My mother liked these packed in mustard but she also liked Limburger cheese so that will tell you something about her tastes. I've never "mustered" the nerve to bite into one. But I've recently developed a taste for anchovies so I must be weird.

Those "fragrant" cheeses taste wonderful, but one needs to get past the initial aroma.

As a little boy in the 1960's visiting with my grandfather I was treated to many different varieties of tinned fish and "stinky cheese". They were for the most part delicious.

Never a huge canned sardine fan, but they are OK, once in a way. Fresh, amazingly good.

But anchovies…gawd, how I love them. Whole ones from Sicily, packed in salt. Fillet them myself. Amazingly good addition to beef short ribs, stews, etc. Caesar salad. Never on a pizza.

I may be in the minority in that I think sardines are just okay. I like small, oily fish in general but I've not been wowed by the standard Beach Cliff sardines. I'll seek out some of the finer examples from this thread and give them a try.

Since the conversation has veered towards other little fish, I've got to mention Bagna Cauda, my favorite way to eat anchovies.
Garlic, anchovies, olive oil and butter lightly simmered and served hot with veggies and bread. Fantastic!

-Dale

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
Going to work in a bit. I am having a salad for dinner at work but haven't decided what to have with it. It's a toss up between sardines in evoo, oysters in cottonseed oil, salmon in oil, and fish steaks in Louisiana hot sauce.
Yummy!

Sardines for me are a big winner. Often they are a late night snack if I'm up late or get home late and are hungry.

I adore sardines, with hot sauce and soda crackers. But I must confess I am not a connoisseur. I don't remember brands. Last night was $3/can on sale at Whole Foods. Tonight was 10/$10 at QFC.
So, my brothers, enlighten me. What are your favorite sardine brands, what's your favorite hot sauce...and how else do you like to eat these pescian jewels?

I have to say, I like them! I owe it to my Papaw. Mamaw always sent him out on the back porch to eat them though:) We would sit outside on the steps with that little can and a sleeve of Zesta crackers. He has long since passed and whenever I eat sardines I am reminded of him and the simple joys in life.

Top Bottom